Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #31
melitele OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Road segments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
For motorcycles, it seems to not make a difference on the planning for cars, at least here in the Sacramento and Sierra mountains.
In most places it won't - yet. We are slowly building our own road database but in the meantime we are using directions from Google as a fallback. And Google doesn't distinguish between cars and motorcycles. That said, you may take a look at the 'Scenic byways and backroads' option in the FIND drawer (5th button) - it will show you motorcycle-specific roads and tracks that Furkot pulls from Everytrail (where available).

Quote:
Suggestions: Per segment adjustment of that slider. i.e. I might want all twists in one section, fine with highway roads in another.
We are working on separating stops (waypoins) and route segments in the Plan drawer. Selecting road preference per segment makes perfect sense.

Quote:
"road reviews": let users add notes about sections of roads between their waypoints like: No shoulder for bikes. Amazing twisties! Well patrolled. Bad potholes. Maybe some predefined radio buttons or drop downs to make it easy, with a box for more comments.
That in turn could drive selections like "4 and 5 star roads only" or a colored overlay for roads green to red.
Wow! This is a terrific idea. Everybody - us included - focuses on places, not so much on roads. Thank you for making me realize that. Since this is something we haven't thought about, it'll take us awhile but I'll make it happen.
melitele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #32
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,450
I played with the planner for a little while and it looks very promising. It needs one feature critical for many of us- an ability to export routes to Garmin (mostly Zumo series) GPS devices. Itis a difficult goal to reach because Garmin uses its own logic to calculate the route. The usual way to deal with it is too set the route up with many waypoints, thus reducing the degree of freedom for Garmin. Usually it works, but Garmin tends to chock on too many waypoints and sometimes the waypoint can be a bit off because of differences between the map providers or rounding of the coordinates. If such error will place a waypoint on the wring side of an Interstate or any other divided limited access highway, the routing will be completely messed up. If you can solve the Garmin puzzle it will make your site unique.

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #33
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
I played with the planner for a little while and it looks very promising. It needs one feature critical for many of us- an ability to export routes to Garmin (mostly Zumo series) GPS devices. Itis a difficult goal to reach because Garmin uses its own logic to calculate the route. The usual way to deal with it is too set the route up with many waypoints, thus reducing the degree of freedom for Garmin. Usually it works, but Garmin tends to chock on too many waypoints and sometimes the waypoint can be a bit off because of differences between the map providers or rounding of the coordinates. If such error will place a waypoint on the wring side of an Interstate or any other divided limited access highway, the routing will be completely messed up. If you can solve the Garmin puzzle it will make your site unique.
Under the TRIP button select EXPORT and select the TRACK option at the bottom. This creates a detailed GPX track which can be downloaded then IMPORTED into BaseCamp. Use BaseCamp to convert to a ROUTE and use the FILTER command to take the route down to a manageable number of points (50 for example).
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #34
Rgconner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
I found hitting the bicycle button takes more interesting routes... but then all the calculations are off.
Rgconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #35
melitele OP
Adventurer

Bicycle mode

Quote:
I found hitting the bicycle button takes more interesting routes... but then all the calculations are off.
You can improve calculations by adjusting your speed in TRIP drawer either as percentage (more than 100% I would imagine) or as your average speed in miles per hour.

And you just gave me an idea to optionally show bike routes for motorcycle trips. Thank you. I'll see what I can do with it.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:34 AM   #36
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,011
Really like the website. Sorry if this have been mentioned and I missed it but, is there a way to import an existing gpx file onto the website in the case where you wanted to add onto that file and then create a new gpx file?
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #37
melitele OP
Adventurer

GPX import

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Really like the website. Sorry if this have been mentioned and I missed it but, is there a way to import an existing gpx file onto the website in the case where you wanted to add onto that file and then create a new gpx file?
Yes, there is - Furkot supports both importing and exporting of GPX files. To import a GPX file look for a white button with a cloud and arrow above the list of your trips - you may need to click MY TRIPS to get to the list. I'm sorry it is hard to spot - I'm working to make it more obvious.

Thank you for trying Furkot out.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:34 AM   #38
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by melitele View Post
Yes, there is - Furkot supports both importing and exporting of GPX files. To import a GPX file look for a white button with a cloud and arrow above the list of your trips - you may need to click MY TRIPS to get to the list. I'm sorry it is hard to spot - I'm working to make it more obvious.

Thank you for trying Furkot out.
OK, got it.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:22 PM   #39
genka
SUV hater

Oddometer: 1,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Under the TRIP button select EXPORT and select the TRACK option at the bottom. This creates a detailed GPX track which can be downloaded then IMPORTED into BaseCamp. Use BaseCamp to convert to a ROUTE and use the FILTER command to take the route down to a manageable number of points (50 for example).
I saw the export GPS button, I could do the same already using Ridewithgps.com. Or use Harley Trip Planner to export directly to Zumo, which mostly works with enough waypoints and staying off dirt. Why switch to a new tool if it doesn't provide addtional features?

Форум мотоциклистов в США http://www.xytopok.net/mvnforum/listthreads?forum=31
genka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:48 PM   #40
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 525
great start

I really like it! I've been playing with it a bit today for a trip I have been planning. I like the way you've combined such a diverse set of features ie. routing/weather/lodging all in one without letting the interface get overly complex. This thing is going to save me major time getting the "big picture" of a trip early in the planning stages. Importing/exporting to .gpx works really well and Basecamp easily converts tracks to routes if you wish.

I noticed the lodging and fuel stop placements in some remote areas seem to be based on time/distance and not on actual and available services. Is that the case? If so it would be helpful if those "estimated" waypoints could be highlighted in some way so you know to verify there's actually fuel there in the middle of nowhere.

really impressed with your work so far.
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #41
melitele OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by genka View Post
I saw the export GPS button, I could do the same already using Ridewithgps.com. Or use Harley Trip Planner to export directly to Zumo, which mostly works with enough waypoints and staying off dirt. Why switch to a new tool if it doesn't provide addtional features?
Wansfel's kindly shared workaround notwithstanding, I hope you'll be pleased to know that I am working on providing an additional flavor of GPX export that is intended to be more palatable to Garmin devices. I'll let you know when it's ready and I hope it will work with your GPS.

I don't have side-by-side comparison with those tools but you may find the list of Furkot's features helpful here - http://help.furkot.com/getting-start...-features.html.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:16 PM   #42
melitele OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredbike View Post
I noticed the lodging and fuel stop placements in some remote areas seem to be based on time/distance and not on actual and available services. Is that the case? If so it would be helpful if those "estimated" waypoints could be highlighted in some way so you know to verify there's actually fuel there in the middle of nowhere.
That's a good point - I'll see what I can do.

That said, automatic stops (both fuel and lodging) are primarily meant to signal that a break will be necessary according to your time and driving range settings. The feedback we have been getting suggests that people want to have a look at lodging and pick the one they like (that's what Sleep drawer is for), or at the very least consciously approve Furkot's selection (that's Keep button), or create overnight stop manually (if staying with friends/family).

As you probably noticed, Furkot doesn't even assign gas stations to fuel stops as long as you have automatically scheduled overnight stops (shown semi-transparently as opposed to overnight stops approved or created by the user shown in solid color) - we want to quickly show you how many refueling stops you'll make while not wasting time finding gas stations you probably won't use anyway as your trip plan is bound to change once you replace all automatic overnight stops by your choice of lodgings.

Thank you for trying Furkot out and taking time to comment.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:29 PM   #43
Rgconner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
Crazy idea: tie Furkot to a Fuelly profile to schedule gas stops.
Crazier: Tie it to gas buddy or something like that to get lowest price. Not that it is that big of a deal with most of our motorcycles, but big for your RV/Camper crowd I am sure. *(maybe it does this behind the scenes?)

BTW, it was really cool to look at a destination, picked by the riding club I belong to, and find accommodations that are more to my liking

They like real motels/hotels. I like a campground, and found 3 good ones within 3 miles of where they were staying.

(and yes, I was thinking having a bicycle button for motorcycles to get lower traffic roads, but did not quite get the idea across clearly, but you got it!)
Rgconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #44
melitele OP
Adventurer

Fuel

Quote:
Crazy idea: tie Furkot to a Fuelly profile to schedule gas stops.
This is a cool idea, esp. on the go - automatically recalculate subsequent gas stops after you fill'er up. We have been loosely thinking about sth like that and knowing there is a potential partner brings it closer to actual implementation. Thank you.

Quote:
Crazier: Tie it to gas buddy or something like that to get lowest price. Not that it is that big of a deal with most of our motorcycles, but big for your RV/Camper crowd I am sure. *(maybe it does this behind the scenes?)
Furkot has teamed up with myGasFeed to get gas stations and prices in US. They are a smaller but more developers' friendly competitor of GasBuddy. At the moment Furkot just find the closest gas station but we plan to take into account prices as well - you've got a point with RV/Campers for sure. In case you haven't found it yet, we display them along the list of gas stations in the Eat drawer.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #45
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,219
Question 1 - I've been lurking and using Furkot. I just imported a long trip I have planned in Basecamp and Mapsource. It is in .gpx format and was planned as a route. However, when importing it into Furkot it seems to now be in track form. Am I missing something or should it have stayed a route?

Question 2 - Do we have the ability to change track line colors? I usually load my routes/tracks as individual day trips. Within those trips I'd like to call out difficult riding areas using red along the track line so that I know whats coming. Is this doable? Mountain bikers would benefit from this as well.

TRZ Charlie screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 07:38 AM
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote