User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #46
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,153
2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S & 2013 BMW R1200 GSW

OK, fellas, because of popular demand (OK, I guess I made the offer)---here is the link to my "comparison" of the 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S and the 2013 BMW R1200GSW.

I've intentionally written this up as an externally-hosted HTML file so that this would reduce "squabbling" over the writeup (not that that ever happens).

It would have been easier for me to have written up a PDF document and posted it, but that would've required YOU to have downloaded the PDF, then opened it...too much trouble, and we aim to please.

So here is my subjective comparison. Feel free to contact me w/questions or comments (I doubt there'll be much of either, since we're all too busy).

Thanks again to all who followed my "4-day" ride report. I hope some of you enjoy reading the bike compare.

Oh yeah, I guess I should post the link:

If you have trouble accessing the article, please tell me.

Thanks for your attention.

--Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW
2000 Kawasaki KLX300R
1992 Ducati 900SS
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:38 PM   #47
OurDee
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great to see ya riding Doc.
OurDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:27 AM   #48
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 864
"NO!"

If you need a place to eat, sleep, wash body and clothes, service the bike or ?
the door is always open and the moonshine (purely medicinal) is there for the tasting, pm if you are traveling through Western NC and need anything.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #49
Dr. Greg OP
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDee View Post
Great to see ya riding Doc.
Hey, I know you from the BadWeB forum! Didn't I ship you a jacket from one of my (several) bike wrecks? Hola and welcome.

Yep, I'm gonna be riding' for 26 more years...all on the GSW .

-- Doc
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW
2000 Kawasaki KLX300R
1992 Ducati 900SS
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:19 AM   #50
wyowanderer
Wyoming Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
OK, fellas, because of popular demand (OK, I guess I made the offer)---here is the link to my "comparison" of the 2010 Ducati Multistrada 1200S and the 2013 BMW R1200GSW.

I've intentionally written this up as an externally-hosted HTML file so that this would reduce "squabbling" over the writeup (not that that ever happens).

It would have been easier for me to have written up a PDF document and posted it, but that would've required YOU to have downloaded the PDF, then opened it...too much trouble, and we aim to please.

So here is my subjective comparison. Feel free to contact me w/questions or comments (I doubt there'll be much of either, since we're all too busy).

Thanks again to all who followed my "4-day" ride report. I hope some of you enjoy reading the bike compare.

--Doc
Wow! Great write-up and comparison of the two bikes. That was as thorough of a comparison as they get!
wyowanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #51
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,103
I read the Adirondack RR. Yeah, it looks like that. Very green... Vermont and the rest of New England looks alot like that too. Villages with a little common in the middle with a couple of steeples standing guard over them. The farms are pretty awesome around these parts too, with their stone walls and interesting add-ons build by the generations that lived there.

I like the west best, but I have friends who don't. Too brown they say. My place in AZ is in the higher desert well north of Phoenix. To me it is very lush and green with its variety of desert plant life, but it's not for everybody I guess.

Thanks, Doc, for that great comparison report between your Duc and your new BMW. Very concise! I am sort of missing my old KTM 950. I should ride the new GS to see what it is like. I am surprised to read you think the new version is so different from the older models. I might try one of the new KTM 1190's too.

-P

Quote:
You're in that neighborhood, so what can I say? However, what say you to the enormous response to Adirondacks and Beyond...

Seems like there's more there than one cliff face, no? Plus I have historical interest: the Theodore Dreiser book.

Finally, there's a LOTTA country between New Mexico & The Adirondacks---both GOING and COMING. Surely it's not gonna be a waste of time!?

Please someone say NO cuz I've already got my reservations...

--Doc
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:02 AM   #52
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Thanks for taking the time to do the trip report for us.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #53
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,146
Quote:
Hey, I know you from the BadWeB forum! Didn't I ship you a jacket from one of my (several) bike wrecks? Hola and welcome.

Yep, I'm gonna be riding' for 26 more years...all on the GSW .

-- Doc
I never bumped into you on the BadWeb forum. I had 2 Ulysses with a Street Glide between them.

Kimberly flew out to the Tri-Cities and we rode back through Lolo Pass, Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole before the Buell started missing occasionally. In Northern Oklahoma the fuel pump went out and it was trailered home is the correct H-D fashion.

It took H-D 6 weeks to fix the pump so it was traded in on a Gold Wing.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 AM   #54
DS Hobo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I think the cargo is concrete railroad ties

About 10 miles further along I spotted this string of 20-30 flatcars carryin' something---couldn't figure out what these things were. Eyeball Figure 101 and lemme know if you can figure it out. Just curious.

Figure 101. Long string of flatcars carryin' something...what?

I really enjoyed your RR, by the way.
DS Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:55 AM   #55
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,467
Nice write up DR. G on the bikes. I am not too surprised on your choices.

I will never forget our first meeting , first ride together ,you on that Buell , on the two track from Sipapu over to Angel Fire. Sandy and I still share all that happened on that trip/weekend.

I might add, you did very well on that street tired Buell

Thanks for the info, have fun
gale

Gale B.T. screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 12:18 PM
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #56
LeSprinter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Reading your RR has been enjoyable on several levels. One, because I sometimes miss New Mexico’s great scenery, especially while partaking in two wheeled travel of either the human or petrol powered variety. Even more so because my life changed so much after moving there in 1980, and at least partly that was to your credit. I graduated from UNM with a BS in ME in ‘83, having taken and survived a few of your courses. It’s a good thing I managed to keep that double integrator experiment from railing as it’s the only way I could ever manage an A grade. I’m sure there are many, many similar stories as mine, but I have never looked you up to say thanks, so here it is… THANKS.
Most importantly, I read your BMW-Ducati comparison and nearly fell off the chair when I saw you actually programmed an electronic cruise control in the Ducati chip. Thinking about it a bit more it really shouldn’t have surprised me. I just chose a new Super Tenere, over the Tiger Explorer, in spite of the lack of cruise control and would love to try to do the same on it. Apparently the new 2014 model will have it so maybe there will be a retro-fit kit, but if not then I would like to know what was involved. Feel free to PM me if you don’t want to put everyone else to sleep with the root locus etc.
LeSprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:06 PM   #57
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,034
Quote:

--Doc
Thanks for writing that up. GB wasn't the only one wanting to see what you thought.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #58
thebugslayer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Thank you for another great RR and especially for taking the time to write a clear and helpful comparison between the MTS and the GSW. Great stuff!
thebugslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #59
oldandgray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Wicked Rail Road Ties

Those rail cars are loaded with concrete railroad ties, they are replacing the old wood ties with these new concrete ones.
oldandgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:12 AM   #60
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,676
Quote:

--Doc
Thanks Doc for your thoughts. FYI: When I test rode a 2010 MTS12, I thought the fueling was as you described and to me that was a deal breaker. I now have a Gen 2 ('13 MTS GT) the fueling is perfect and the rear brake works as it should. As for the bike sounding like a lawn mower, I dunno, to me the desmo wail under hard acceleration is music to my ears You may want to retract that statement before the Desmo Devil strikes you down!! Thanks again for the detailed comparo.

I take it the GSW's boxer has lost it's "agricultural tractor" feel?