ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #31
Fat Nelly
Squid Filter Repair

Oddometer: 233
Love AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
This is how we do it AZ ADV style.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956695

For sure and all the more reason to make this happen. Luckily Arizona and about every other state other than California have LEO's that belong in their positions and have the abilities to perform their job when the need arises. California requires perfect conditions because this state breeds pansies. Just the way it is...
Fat Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #32
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Nelly View Post
For sure and all the more reason to make this happen. Luckily Arizona and about every other state other than California have LEO's that belong in their positions and have the abilities to perform their job when the need arises. California requires perfect conditions because this state breeds pansies. Just the way it is...
August 2012, the Fresno Co. Sheriff Dept. SAR team came looking for me only hours after I was reported missing by my daughter. I had already spent the night on the mountain.
I can tell you from my experience that they are professional, they found my bike in less than ten hours...no spot or cell phone signal. They used the good old grid pattern search within a 20 mile radius of my truck, in very rugged terrain. They brought ground crews on foot, on quads, jeeps and a helicopter. Fresno Co. Sheriffs rock! It's a good place to get lost...

pcvance screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 08:07 AM
pcvance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:00 AM   #33
Fat Nelly
Squid Filter Repair

Oh P

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
August 2012, the Fresno Co. Sheriff Dept. SAR team came looking for me.
I can tell you from my experience that they are professional, they found my bike in less than ten hours...no spot or cell phone signal.
Strike FCSD from the pansies list. At least they went out to look for you, Oh and guess what happens when you look for somebody? You find them! Probably be hard not to find you. Guy smiling in the forest, preparing some food for the rescue...
Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #34
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,411
Did you get lost or something? All Ca. county sheriff's have search and rescue units

Searching usually fall into their jurisdiction because people tend to get lost in rural places. That usually means, it is some mountain County doing the looking. Usually the Lostee is from some urban area and a non resident. Ca. has addressed the cost factor by allowing the small Counties to charge the lost person's County for the cost of the search.

The majority of the mountain Counties don't have the resources to put on big searches, so they rely a lot on volunteers, not always available when you need them. They don't have aircraft to use and need to liaison with either Cal fire or CHP. Whether those are available depends on another organization's decision.

Mountains Counties search all the time. It is a common occurrence. Whether they have the resources to meet whatever your standard is, might be different.

Don't like it, stay in San Diego.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #35
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,213
It doesn't matter if the ADV guys are SARs or not. Fact is the resources were not on scene until the next morning. Too late.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #36
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Then why don't you offer your services to different agencies and organize yourself? The hurdle will probably be liability concerns. If you are called out, then the FS or Sheriff will assume responsibility for injuries. Blame the lawyers for that.

I know a little about search and rescue as I worked in one agency and now live in an adjoining county.

Prior the recession both Stanislaus and Tuolumne Counties had large search and rescue units. Mostly made up of auxiliary or reserve deputies. I paid a lot bills from Tuolumne County for lost Stanislaus County residents, even for those that lived in the city. So I know they were active. Tuolumne is a large county with a small population and tax base.

Stanislaus had fixed wing aircraft and a helicopter. Fixed wing were flew by volunteers.

When the recession hit, Stanislaus lost 20% of their deputies, I assume Tuolumne lost a similar number.

It decimated Stanislaus search and recue efforts, because of a labor agreement that prevented using Reserves without first calling back a laid off employee. I don't know if other Counties have the same agreement.

Give it go and see what they say.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #37
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,376
USFS Patrol Volunteers on the CNF

When I left the OC in Sept of 2010, I was a member of the USFS Volunteer Patrol on the CNF. This is a group that started as one guy on a KTM 3 years before (me), and ended up being larger with the lead being a retired CHP officer.

I do not know the status of this group now. I can say that we have a very active SAR in Douglas County NV, with mutual aid agreements with all surrounding counties (Alpine and El Dorado in CA).

Want to help? Call the USFS Cleveland office in Corona and talk to the Rec. Coordinator. They need all the help they can get.

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #38
bluedog52
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
I'm 10min from my garage to Bedford road gate. It takes 20min by day and 40-60min by night to travel to the top between maple springs gate and main divide gate some here call it four corners I think. That's a long stretch to search there's a lot of vertical drop offs. Horn, whistle, single mirror by day, whistle, horn, strobe, military or industrial grade light sticks by night to find your ass. Easy enough to find someone broken down or lost, disoriented stuck on trail not being able to make there way down alone. What is it at night, night blindness, tunnel vision, vertigo... you can loss your wits

Call, post, what ever I'm here.

Just getting into ham radio.

I'm thinking medic cert and coms.
bluedog52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 PM   #39
Fat Nelly
Squid Filter Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Did you get lost or something? All Ca. county sheriff's have search and rescue units

Searching usually fall into their jurisdiction because people tend to get lost in rural places. That usually means, it is some mountain County doing the looking. Usually the Lostee is from some urban area and a non resident. Ca. has addressed the cost factor by allowing the small Counties to charge the lost person's County for the cost of the search.

The majority of the mountain Counties don't have the resources to put on big searches, so they rely a lot on volunteers, not always available when you need them. They don't have aircraft to use and need to liaison with either Cal fire or CHP. Whether those are available depends on another organization's decision.

Mountains Counties search all the time. It is a common occurrence. Whether they have the resources to meet whatever your standard is, might be different.

Don't like it, stay in San Diego.
OK Johnny come lately. Figure out what were talking about first before you flash all your knowledge of the counties financial system. This is about guys that are willing to help and going to make it happen.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:55 PM   #40
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

I would like to, you don't provide much info, so I looked for myself.:

http://www.lifeincorona.com/news/mis...d-dead-skyline

I am sorry for his loss and I understand the widow's grief. But at some point you need to look out for self to some extent.

I didn't realize that occurred during one of the largest storms in So. Cal history. http://www.topix.com/forum/city/coro...UFTFHGVPA09BID
Old 03-06-2014, 02:23 PM   #41
Fat Nelly
Squid Filter Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I would like to, you don't provide much info, so I looked for myself.:

http://www.lifeincorona.com/news/mis...d-dead-skyline

I am sorry for his loss and I understand the widow's grief. But at some point you need to look out for self to some extent.

I didn't realize that occurred during one of the largest storms in So. Cal history. http://www.topix.com/forum/city/coro...UFTFHGVPA09BID
No worries and its a bad deal. I hear the reports of how bad the storm was and it was the biggest on record since 2010 but it wasn't really that bad on the mountain Friday night. Winds were a little wicked but the dirt soaked the water up like a sponge. Sure that had something to do with LEO's fear factor Saturday night.
The road was wet and had running water but traction was excellent.
Andres could have been saved and that's why we are pissed and asking questions, and also learning that 911 doesn't bring help when your in the woods at night.
Its up to us to make sure we all make it home safe. The MAN just isn't capable in these parts...
Old 03-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #42
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
This is how we do it AZ ADV style.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956695
The big difference is that anyone who posts to the rescue thread has his post texted out to all on the list automatically. You don't need to be actively looking, it reaches out to you. That is a big difference and one that is very helpful to those seeking help.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #43
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by azshtr View Post
The big difference is that anyone who posts to the rescue thread has his post texted out to all on the list automatically. You don't need to be actively looking, it reaches out to you. That is a big difference and one that is very helpful to those seeking help.
I agree. I think we've talked about it on several occasions to have a network of riders that have the time and tools to do rescue missions but have never really put something concrete together.

maybe it's time to act on it.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:57 PM   #44
slidewayes
slidewayes

Oddometer: 397
where do I find this rescue thread?
slidewayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #45
Mr. Carts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Anyone in the South Riverside county ( Temecula Murrieta ect.) or North SD county ( Fallbrook Rainbow De Luz).

We could do an informal meet up @ Flippis in Temecula and get the network Started up.

For Anza, Aguanga, Warner Springs and Ranchita area.

We could meet @ Pancho Villa's in Sunshine Summit.

Just post up and we can make this happen.
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote