ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 07:50 PM   #61
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,921
or volunteer with your local SAR

RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #62
Mr. Carts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
Well if we can get this rolling we would ride out in pairs to find the lost person.

Once we find them use radios to get medical help or ride out and summon help to the location.

They may not need medical it could be a mechanical failure or just lost.

The main thing is to be out looking for them.
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:06 PM   #63
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Did you get lost or something? All Ca. county sheriff's have search and rescue units

Searching usually fall into their jurisdiction because people tend to get lost in rural places. That usually means, it is some mountain County doing the looking. Usually the Lostee is from some urban area and a non resident. Ca. has addressed the cost factor by allowing the small Counties to charge the lost person's County for the cost of the search.

The majority of the mountain Counties don't have the resources to put on big searches, so they rely a lot on volunteers, not always available when you need them. They don't have aircraft to use and need to liaison with either Cal fire or CHP. Whether those are available depends on another organization's decision.

Mountains Counties search all the time. It is a common occurrence. Whether they have the resources to meet whatever your standard is, might be different.

Don't like it, stay in San Diego.
No, I was not lost, but was stuck out on the trail overnight in Sequoia NF expectedly. I left the bike and hiked out the next day.
You can read the full story starting on page 6, post#88 on the Sequoia National Forest report thread...it was quite the adventure.

pcvance screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 09:12 PM
pcvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #64
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,230
JESUS PEOPLE... it ain't about SARS. It's about a worst responder that did NOT GET THE TROOPS ROLLING 10 HOURS EARLIER !

ANY man on a dirt bike that could have found the down biker could just have easily made his way back to civilization to inform LEO where the guy was and his condition... this COULD HAVE SAVED HIS LIFE.

That makes local ADVers quite valuable. No one has suggested they would drag the guy with a rope behind their scooter and under the gate. That's just stupid talk.

I am buying a SPOT to reach my wife when cell phone has no service... I am making sure my wife knows who to call immediately after she places her obligatory and pointless call to 911.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #65
OCHillBilly
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I keep hearing this question..."what would you have done if.....(severe injury)?" Listen, a prepared person on an MC gets to a lost injured hiker/rider/whatever can do a lot even if not the be all end all rescuer. how bout cover him up and reduce exposure to the elements. give him food or water. stabilize him, bandage up bleeding wounds. start a contained fire to keep him warm. what little you could do would be better than nothing and could definitely extend his life. get him stabilized and then go back for help. do nothing and you get nothing. these short sided opinions about how you would be no help if whatever severe injury is the issue serves no one. even some sort of companionship if nothing else helps people fight longer. you knuckleheads that are nay saying those that want to help even if untrained would change your tune if it was you in the situation. no one here wants to be a hero. we'd all like to avoid such a situation if possible, but would help if necessary. i hope its not you....or me in such a situation but i'd take an untrained motorcycle rider with no supplies over nothing if thats all i was offered.
OCHillBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #66
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,869
That said, I encourage everyone to take a first responder class.
I took one a while ago at San Diego BMW, they were kind enough to offer it for free.
While I am not an EMT or anything like that, it definitely gave me basic instructions on how best to care for and help an injured person. Stop bleeding, check for breathing, clear airways, immobilize spine/neck trauma, figure out what happened, summon help, protect them from being run over, etc.
Just basic stuff that I never even thought about before attending the class...

I'm a lot more useful now helping out after an injury causing crash than I was before. I have been the first person at a couple of crashes, wish I had this knowledge earlier. Might not have made much of a difference in the big picture, but then again if the injured person needed specific help immediately, it sure would have.
Compound fractures are ugly and very bloody. Get some training.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:51 AM   #67
azshtr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,130
I like the idea of having 1 thread named rescue in each regional forum. Those that choose to can subscribe and be notified immediately if someone posts to that thread. As others have mentioned I don't care if SAR, a friend, or mickey mouse finds me.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:57 AM   #68
Fat Nelly
Squid Filter Repair

Oddometer: 264
Sdsd sar

Gonna do it. In process of joining San Diego County Sherriff's search and rescue. Not going to stand by and let someone die when we can get to them first. So far SDSD has been very open to the subject and are welcoming new volunteers.

They can provide the necessary training to make a difference in matters like this. Give it a try...
Fat Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #69
bmwgo
I love moto's

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Nelly View Post
In process of joining San Diego County Sherriff's search and rescue. Not going to stand by and let someone die when we can get to them first. So far SDSD has been very open to the subject and are welcoming new volunteers.
Bravo man.
bmwgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #70
S H I F T Y
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
There is a Wilderness First Responder course in Wrightwood this December. It's 9 days and you have to stay there during the entire time. If I was allowed to go home at night that would be one thing, but I don't think I want to stay there for 9 days straight. Part of the point I'm sure is to be able run training at night so that is why they want you there 24 hours a day.
S H I F T Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #71
bluedog52
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Nelly View Post
Gonna do it. In process of joining San Diego County Sherriff's search and rescue. Not going to stand by and let someone die when we can get to them first. So far SDSD has been very open to the subject and are welcoming new volunteers.

They can provide the necessary training to make a difference in matters like this. Give it a try...
Dumb ass it wasn't lack of resources it was lack of critical thinking. Its not moving why chase it!

Good for you committing your time and effort to others. Kudo's to you man.

Look how they promote their general thought of the public in this thread this is what they think of us. To crazy and to stupid to help ourselves.

I wouldn't think of law enforcement as public safety. I would think fire department as public safety saving lives. When did the shift happen?

Oh I know resources spent to find your ass and lock you up instead of saving you, profitability!

If its not running why chase it. Predator mentality. If you isn't on the run they isn't com'en look'en for ya....

bluedog52 screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 11:07 AM
bluedog52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 AM   #72
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,475
IF they had searched for him that night, they would have found him Alive!
Old 03-07-2014, 12:26 PM   #73
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Well I have read all of the posts on all of the threads, listened to the wife on tweedle dee and tweedle dumbs radio show. This has made me mad,sad and informed
Been riding all over Saddleback for 45 yrs. Had to walk out once as couldn't find vw bus in the snow. I was 18, no biggie, just walked down in pouring rain all night till morning. Friend and I went over from 74 to Maple Springs on Thurs as we thought it would rain on FRI. It did!!
Yesterday was looking up and seeing the towers on Santiago clearly, I was saddened that this man was so close to so many of us, (riders).
I've ridden over the top so many times alone can't count, last time was when Joel had the last training day. Rode 240 alone that day as missed them by 5 minutes. WILL surely rethink my packing when riding alone. WILL take a SAR course and get involved. WILL put my name on any list that has to do with SAR in CNF. Will never be talked out of, in my mind, that this couldn't be helped by many people who have commented here as they are sincere, passionate and pissed about this tragedy in the backyard of so many, so close, let alone the
PAID SAR peeps.

heirhead
worlds worst mechanic
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #74
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,230
We put on a more basic 2 day Red Cross Wilderness First Aid and CPR/AED course at the San Bernardino Forest Service Office about 3 or 4 times a year. PM me if anyone wants details.

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #75
Mr. Carts OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 361
I will check in about 6pm, before we come off the mountain.

Anyone missing let me know.

POST AS A NEW THREAD:

MISSING RIDER NEW POST.

Areas:
Allesandro OHV Trail 2E44
Hixon OHV Trail 2E43
Juan Diego Flat OHV Road 7S04
Juan Diego OHV Road 6S89

Mellor Ranch OHV Road 4S05
Red Mountain OHV Road 6S22

Hog lake Truck Trail
Thomas Mountian Truck Trail