Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #31
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I definitely get more attention from law enforcement when I'm on my sporty-looking, red GTS1000 than when I'm on my GS.
It might also be because the GTS1000 is rather unique and that alone attracts attention.

See also: UDF.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:58 AM   #32
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Surprisingly, almost nobody notices the front end unless they're already GTS fans or someone else points it out to them. To the layman, it's just another crotch rocket

Here's mine:

+ daughter posing
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 03-06-2014 at 09:19 AM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:19 AM   #33
jrou111
Stair Climber

Oddometer: 256
I usually travel at DoD nominal

Got pulled over at night on the KLR for passing a cop doing 85 in a 40 on a 2 lane county road in the country. He radioed on ahead and another cop pulled me over. When the officer approached me, he said to slow down because there are crazy drivers on the road.

Only 1 ticket on a bike in ~100,000 miles in the last 3 years.
jrou111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #34
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
Just got my first motorcycle after a few years riding 150cc scooters. Gotta say I ride those fast, too. But cops never slowed to give those a look. Now I see 'em slow and look when on my FZ6. It's RED (we all know what that means....FASTEST color) and has 90 more ponies then my scooters. Just a matter of time, i figure.

How many speeding tickets have you gotten? Past, present, or future estimates welcome
Zero. I have never received a speeding ticket on my motorcycle. Cars, yes, but years ago. Motorcycles, no tickets.

In the future, I expect to receive one about every five years, and I will undoubtedly deserve it.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #35
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,700
Zero tickets on two wheels, only one in a cage over a decade ago, for 74 in a 70 zone. (Honestly. I was driving a '91 Geo Tracker, it was about tapped out even going that fast. Not sure what that cop's deal was that day)

I have pretty much only ever ridden old bikes, which attract no attention whatsoever. Nevermind that a GL1000 with some weight stripped off it is actually decently quick, the fact is that it doesn't look the part, so no one even bats an eye when you ride past. Also, wearing full gear helps.

I honestly think cops generally give a bit more leeway to riders who look like they know what they're doing and aren't being a menace, and they'll come down hard on those who look the part of the squid on the crotch rocket. Not sure where the sleeveless bandana-wearing pirates come out, but I'm sure even they're still left alone more than the guy who looks like an inexperienced, reckless twat on a sport bike.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #36
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
There are reckless , inexperienced twats on all types of bikes.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #37
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,664
There's a reason I bought a BLACK Ducati.............
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #38
Retro
Just the Facts Ma'am

Oddometer: 33,615
Quote:
no that is me. i don't know what "30+ Delta" is but lane splitting is legal where i live and i took out a mirror of a hostile driver which intentionally impeded me because i had no other choice but to hit the car on my other side which had done nothing. being i was on the move i kept on going and did not stop to get shot by a thug trying to take me out. but that is all water under the bridge so idk why this poster is bringing it up? i guess in thier eyes i now deserve a speeding ticket just for riding a sport bike and hitting a mirror while lane splitting on a scooter?

i am public enemy numero uno
Sounds a bit squiddish.

Every driver, MC or car probably violates a speed limit on a daily basis. Collecting tickets is an expensive hobby.

I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong, but your attitude seems to be similar to the idea that every motorcyclist will have an accident eventually, as getting tickets, just like having a wreck, is just part of riding.

Quis custodiet ipros custodes?
Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #39
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Get a supermoto, it feels like you are going fast all the time.

Wear proper gear.

Develop your sixth sense.

Slow down when approaching intersections or cresting a hill.

If you see just one LEO, there will likely be others in the vicinity.

Don't drastically slow down if/when you see an officer suddenly.

Set up for a lane change when there's no cars in front of you. Signal, then take a long look behind you as you make your lane change. Let er' rip.

**And finally, make sure you have something on your bike that can be written up for a corrections notice aka: fix-it ticket.

Local agency's get a much bigger percentage of the fine for correction notices than for moving violations.

My last ticket was 20 years ago on the I-5 on the great plains of Oregon. Sneaky state trooper in the bushes with a gun. 88mph in a pickup. Before that, only stop sign tickets when I was young in a 66' bug with hardly any brakes.

I routinely ride and drive (in a safe manner) 5-15 over in town, 10-15 on the freeway and 15-20 over in the foothills.

My mom always drove fast, and put me in charge of lookout duty as a little kid. I'd crane my neck and check every on ramp. Every side street. Look behind, ahead, everywhere. I also learned not to point or stare at them.

That's how I learned the MO, and developed my sixth sense.

It's a little (a lot) tougher now with all the new suv cruisers. I'm kinda worried.
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #40
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
There are reckless , inexperienced twats on all types of bikes.
Thank you. Thank you very much. [said in my best Elvis voice.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:46 PM   #41
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
Under the radar? Try a white or beige PC800.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:52 PM   #42
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

I always wanted to paint a bike , say black and yellow. Split right down the middle. Black from one side and yellow from the other. Pass a cop too fast , hang a U-turn and ride back past him.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:36 PM   #43
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro View Post
Sounds a bit squiddish.

Every driver, MC or car probably violates a speed limit on a daily basis. Collecting tickets is an expensive hobby.

I'm sure you'll tell me I'm wrong, but your attitude seems to be similar to the idea that every motorcyclist will have an accident eventually, as getting tickets, just like having a wreck, is just part of riding.
no i am just casual on an internet message board. i don't think i'll have an accident one day or even deserve a ticket. but when you move from scooter to sport bike and notice being noticed more even after just a few days of riding it made me go "hmm"

i am far from a squid and am more then happy to ride the speed limit or "just over" as i did today. when on my scooters i need to keep them "on the boil" when moving through traffic because they lack roll on power when splitting and filtering moving traffic. not so with this MC. i can be doddling along and when i need it, its there

but no i am not a squid or reckless. i just don't take myself too seriously. or anyone else. but riding? sure, very serious at times. i have an instructional session tomorrow, in fact

gonna learn how to best blast off from 1st gear at red lights
Old 03-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #44
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
no i am just casual on an internet message board. i don't think i'll have an accident one day or even deserve a ticket. but when you move from scooter to sport bike and notice being noticed more even after just a few days of riding it made me go "hmm"

i am far from a squid and am more then happy to ride the speed limit or "just over" as i did today. when on my scooters i need to keep them "on the boil" when moving through traffic because they lack roll on power when splitting and filtering moving traffic. not so with this MC. i can be doddling along and when i need it, its there

but no i am not a squid or reckless. i just don't take myself too seriously. or anyone else. but riding? sure, very serious at times. i have an instructional session tomorrow, in fact

gonna learn how to best blast off from 1st gear at red lights
Maybe not reckless.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:47 PM   #45
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,696
well its blast off or stall. been doing well, though. as each day passes. no stalls today but nervous moments and some lugging of the engine

i want to be safe, and respect the safety of others. i have not gone to the front of the line at lights on the MC as i would always on my scoots because i am afraid i might not be able to launch quick enough or worse, stall. hope to adgress that tomorrow and some other things, too