Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 03:54 PM   #76
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Then, there are BMW owners who spend big bucks on their aluminum Touratech cases and other bling to look like "adventure" riders, but never get off pavement. Spring open house at the dealers is full of pristine perfect tricked out bikes without any evidence of offroad riding.

Of course, there are the cruiser guys who go for chrome instead of carbon, and the Gold Wingers who never go anywhere without their multi thousand dollar custom trailers, even if it's just to go have a beer.

Still feel like tossin' the first stone?
It just SEEMS to me that Ducati owners do it more. Not sayin BMW, Wing or cruiser riders aren't also guilty of bolt-on fever but pretty much every Ducati I see (except maybe MS) has loads of expensive "upgrades". Sure you see some GS's with half the Touratech catalog bolted on (I don't count panniers because they are functional additions, whether they are used or not) but not as frequently as you see carbon-fibre-draped Ducatis.

Gold-wing chrome disease is not as frequent either but is something else altogether. Spending good money to ADD useless weight is a real head scratcher to me.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #77
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
It just SEEMS to me that Ducati owners do it more. Not sayin BMW, Wing or cruiser riders aren't also guilty of bolt-on fever but pretty much every Ducati I see (except maybe MS) has loads of expensive "upgrades". Sure you see some GS's with half the Touratech catalog bolted on (I don't count panniers because they are functional additions, whether they are used or not) but not as frequently as you see carbon-fibre-draped Ducatis.

Gold-wing chrome disease is not as frequent either but is something else altogether. Spending good money to ADD useless weight is a real head scratcher to me.
The only panniers I use on the Versys are a set of nylon tank panniers from Aerostich, and they're only used when necessary. When I had my K100, I had two sets, large and small, and only used the large ones when traveling.

Carbon fiber: I like the stuff. Not so much for light weight, but the quality brands are so superior in workmanship and finish that I consider them an upgrade to injection molded plastic pieces. A few ounces lighter makes very little difference to a machine that makes over 150 hp and weighs 405 with a half tank of fuel. If I were looking for weight reduction, the first thing I'd do would be to go to lighter wheels, because that would reduce unsprung weight and also inertia in the powertrain. A lithium battery is also much lighter than a lead-acid one.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:31 AM   #78
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Since when is a school zone a speed trap? They have signage right? You can't ride/drive slow in a known "speed trap" that you live right next door to?

Be lucky you don't live in Virginia. Those are automatic reckless driving tickets. In a school zone? You'd be walking for quite sometime.
"speed trap" was bad choice of words, then. rather, there's always a cop there with someone pulled over. and yes, i was being an idiotic n00b.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:48 AM   #79
tommysmothers
Flamesuit equipped

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
Or... 'Funny thing happened on my way to a speeding ticket'.

Dr. DudeClone or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Speed
tommysmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:37 AM   #80
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,266
Get one of these bikes

kinda hard to get a speeding ticket except in a school zone.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 AM   #81
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
"speed trap" was bad choice of words, then. rather, there's always a cop there with someone pulled over. and yes, i was being an idiotic n00b.
There's a reason why they enforce speed limit in a school zone and if there's always someone pulled over, it's a proof that they have no choice to do it.

Or you're saying that your own "freedom" is more important than kids safety?
Old 03-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #82
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 743
i ain't sayin' shit other than that i was an idiot who figured he could do what he wanted because of time of day and vehicle ridden, and that i sold the sportcity because it marked me as a known idiot. this is a cautionary tale, not a celebratory one!

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 09:20 AM   #83
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Get one of these bikes

kinda hard to get a speeding ticket except in a school zone.

I think you might end up with more than a speeding ticket when you show up in a school zone with both hands on your Dong
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #84
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
I think you might end up with more than a speeding ticket when you show up in a school zone with both hands on your Dong
It's not my Dong, it's my Injun.
Some pirate on a Harley asked me at a stop light if it was an old Indian. I said yep,it's a 1928.
2015 Ural cT on order
Old 03-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #85
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommysmothers View Post
So is the title supposed to be read, "Well On My Way To A Speeding Ticket" or "Well, On My Way To A Speeding Ticket"?
Yes.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:49 AM   #86
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,436
My mistake....confusing an Indian for a Dong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
It's not my Dong, it's my Injun.
Some pirate on a Harley asked me at a stop light if it was an old Indian. I said yep,it's a 1928.
A 1928 Indian with not one but two old fashion disc brakes, eh?
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #87
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
My mistake....confusing an Indian for a Dong

A 1928 Indian with not one but two old fashion disc brakes, eh?
It's a special edition 1928 Indian that didn't sell because it was too advanced for it's time.
2015 Ural cT on order
Old 03-13-2014, 06:43 AM   #88
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:

I beg your pardon sir? You will not find an atom of chrome, or fancy-do-nothing-high$$$ mod any Ducati I own. Most Ducati owners I know are purists....and its basically sacrilegious to be moding a Ducati. Granted there are exceptions, but the key is tasteful discretion and functionality.
Basically anything made my Termignioni, Marchisini, Sargent (for the seat), and perhaps items sold by the likes of Motowheels.

That said, I have found that in the states there is an odd obsession with defacing such beauty with gaudy after market bling accessories, chrome and custom airbrush art work. To each their own, but it still pains me every time I see a 996 with chrome wheels, ground effex lighting, some BS agro-looking airbrush paintjob and extended swing arm.

Up here and back in Europe I have never seen anything like that!
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:12 AM   #89
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone11 11 View Post
I beg your pardon sir? You will not find an atom of chrome, or fancy-do-nothing-high$$$ mod any Ducati I own. Most Ducati owners I know are purists....and its basically sacrilegious to be moding a Ducati. Granted there are exceptions, but the key is tasteful discretion and functionality.
Basically anything made my Termignioni, Marchisini, Sargent (for the seat), and perhaps items sold by the likes of Motowheels.

That said, I have found that in the states there is an odd obsession with defacing such beauty with gaudy after market bling accessories, chrome and custom airbrush art work. To each their own, but it still pains me every time I see a 996 with chrome wheels, ground effex lighting, some BS agro-looking airbrush paintjob and extended swing arm.

Up here and back in Europe I have never seen anything like that!
You haven't been looking. Europe is just the same as USA with regard to most of the stereotypes I commented on.

BMW and Goldwing owners are more likely to bolt something EXTRA to the bike. In the case of BMWs it will usually be something functional although often nothing they actually NEED.

HD owners replace perfectly good parts with less functional parts that are chromed or otherwise gaudy or remove parts (fenders, suspension) that are necessary for a functional ride. Only HD tourers regularly get extra stuff bolted on.

Airbrush work used to be the domain of customized cruisers but now mostly seems to adorn Hyabusas and their ilk, along with the aforementioned lengthened swingarms, super-wide chrome wheels and LED lighting (although the power-cruiser crowd do seem to like some of the above, especially LEDs for after-dark posing outside titty-bars and restaurants.) This particular fever is only just catching on in Europe and seems to equally afflict 125cc cruiser look-alikes - but trust me, it's coming!

A far greater percentage of Ducatis than other marques (IMO) are personalized by REPLACING perfectly good parts with outrageously priced, arguably superior items, except in the case of the stick on carbon fiber covers and guards, which serve no purpose except to lighten the purchaser's wallet.

What I typically see is someone spending the price of a nicely equipped adventure-tourer on a Ducati sport bike, then spending the price of an equivalent (possibly better) performing Japanese (or German) supersport, "improving" the Ducati in infinitessimally small but ever so expensive ways, far beyond the capability of any normal rider to ever actually tell the difference.

The absolute most laughably stupid "performance" upgrade is carbon-fiber bar-end weights held on by titanium bolts. I've seen several Ducatis sporting such pointless and idiotic items.

Many Ducati owners would spend four figures on a chocolate muffler if it had a Termignioni badge on it.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride

slartidbartfast screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 07:21 AM
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #90
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
You haven't been looking. Europe is just the same as USA with regard to most of the stereotypes I commented on.

BMW and Goldwing owners are more likely to bolt something EXTRA to the bike. In the case of BMWs it will usually be something functional although often nothing they actually NEED.

HD owners replace perfectly good parts with less functional parts that are chromed or otherwise gaudy or remove parts (fenders, suspension) that are necessary for a functional ride. Only HD tourers regularly get extra stuff bolted on.

Airbrush work used to be the domain of customized cruisers but now mostly seems to adorn Hyabusas and their ilk, along with the aforementioned lengthened swingarms, super-wide chrome wheels and LED lighting (although the power-cruiser crowd do seem to like some of the above, especially LEDs for after-dark posing outside titty-bars and restaurants.) This particular fever is only just catching on in Europe and seems to equally afflict 125cc cruiser look-alikes - but trust me, it's coming!

A far greater percentage of Ducatis than other marques (IMO) are personalized by REPLACING perfectly good parts with outrageously priced, arguably superior items, except in the case of the stick on carbon fiber covers and guards, which serve no purpose except to lighten the purchaser's wallet.

What I typically see is someone spending the price of a nicely equipped adventure-tourer on a Ducati sport bike, then spending the price of an equivalent (possibly better) performing Japanese (or German) supersport, "improving" the Ducati in infinitessimally small but ever so expensive ways, far beyond the capability of any normal rider to ever actually tell the difference.

The absolute most laughably stupid "performance" upgrade is carbon-fiber bar-end weights held on by titanium bolts. I've seen several Ducatis sporting such pointless and idiotic items.

Many Ducati owners would spend four figures on a chocolate muffler if it had a Termignioni badge on it.
Agreed on the BMW and HD thing. LOL! And good call on the airbrushed 'Busa's....so true
Sadly I have to conceed that you do bring up a valid point on the the bolt on carbon fiber thing. But generally speaking, most people who can afford to spend the $$ on a new 1199 and then an additional 10k on accesories, questionable in taste or otherwise....don't excersise much restraint in the spend department. And I would bet good money that most of the Ducati's you are refering to are owned by those I would put in the "Lots of $$$/Zero Taste" catagory.

If you go to a Ducati event like Red Days in Italy...anyone fitting your description would be quickly ridiculed by the faithful.

That said, I see nothing wrong with putting a little love into your machine as long as it is tasteful. For me I have CF fairings for the 748. They're factory fairings for the 998R, but they fit my bike. I have black aluminium forged Marchisini wheels...lods lighter than the 3 spoke heavies that are stock and Rizoma LED's front and rear. Suspension upgrades too. All in all...I've spent some money to be sure, but all of those mods are subtle and pretty common place with the model.

As for Termi's....if you don't own a Duc with Termi's you wont understand. They are quite simply the nicest sounding pipe for the bike. Period. I've had Arrow's and a buddy had Akro's....both real nice...but the Termi's are sublime...its kinda hard to put into words.
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote