ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
Canadiandad OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Ride Suggestions from Gilbert, AZ for March 21-27

Hi everyone, fairly new here in this site. Have hung around reading many of your posts but have never really posted anything myself until now. Here is the deal.

My wife and son have some time off from school and work and we have decided to take some friends up on the offer to use their Gilbert, AZ home for a week or so and will be bringing our bikes down from Canada to do some riding. I ride a 2009 Suzuki VStrom DL650 and my son rides a 2005 Suzuki SV650 (the wife has a Piaggio MP3 scooter that we might bring down as well, she hasn't decided yet)

We would like to know a few "day trip" rides that we should NOT miss that are close to the Gilbert / SE Phoenix area starting point. Maybe you have some photos to share or some ride report links you can refer to me? Since my son's bike is not the best for gravel or dirt roads we will only be sticking to nice black tarmac. I am hoping to find some beautiful, scenic roads of black tarmac that are not too busy and have fantastic views.

I was thinking of maybe some rides out East to Globe and Show Low and around that area. Any pointers? "Must see" or "Do Not Miss" recommendations? We will not be looking at tearing up the tarmac like speed demon freaks. That is not the way we ride. Just nice, fun, leisurely rides with the occasional straight stretch where we can "stretch the legs" a bit if we get the urge.

Any suggestions from experience that you can provide would be great. Or if you are interested in joining up for a ride or two that would be great too! Let me know. Thanks. /canadiandad
Canadiandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #2
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,294
Run up 60 through the salt river canyon to Showlow, then over to Alpine & down 191 to Safford

4play screwed with this post 03-05-2014 at 03:33 PM
4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
you can also start on country club drive (87) and go north to payson and across east on 260 to the 191 or salt river canyon as buddy suggested.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,414
how many miles is a day trip for you guys?

4Play's ride is fantastic but unless you're comfortable with 500+ mile days then it's definitely not a day trip.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:38 AM   #5
surlywill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
89-89a from Wickinberg, Prescott, Jerome, Sedona thru Oak creek to Flagstaff. A 2 day run but worth the trip. You can break this up for day runs but a great road...
Old 03-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #6
mkitchen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I am thinking south

Since you are coming from the cold, I am thinking that warmer weather might be in line. Showlow, Alpine Flagstaff can be nice or it can be a bit cold. It's just the luck of the draw. If it's nice then go for it and enjoy, if you do catch a week when it is cooler, then maybe head south. A nice ride would be to go east from Gilbert to Miami/Globe, then south over El Capitan, to Mammoth, Oracle then Tucson. You could head back going through Florence back to hiwy 60 and Gilbert. You could also stay over night in Tucson and head out to Bisbee, Tombstone and see some nice scenery down there.

Arizona is certainly a very popular spot to ride and there are a lot of ride guides out with bunches of ideas for all weather, so you might want to check out a book or two as well. There are some nice rides in and around the Phoenix area as well.
Mikey
mkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:01 AM   #7
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 23,414
South here does not equate warmer. The valley is as warm as you're going to get. The further south you go the more elevation you will see and the lower temps. Bisbee is a cool little town but it's cold. Tucson is about as warm as Phoenix but one of the main attractions there for riders is Catalina Hwy and Summerhaven at the top is a ski resort.

Yet, March should be just right temperature wise. Heck, it's going to be 81 degrees today and we're still in 'winter'.