Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 06:22 AM   #31
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
or they vibrate so much I can't really see anything anyway
I didn't know that motorcycle mirrors do vibrate at all until I tried to ride at low rpms for the first time after maybe ten years of riding.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:33 AM   #32
TxRoadDog
SHOVELS AND EVOS

Oddometer: 209
The flow of traffic is entirely dependent on how fast I ride; I'm usually riding fast though.
1996 Harley Davidson FXDS, V-Thunder 3010, Torrington B-138, Hylift Johnson Lifters, Arlen Ness Big Sucker, V&H Competition Drag pipes, Riser Spacers, Santee XLX Low rise Bars, J&P Antique style grips, 13" FXDX Shocks, Shimmed and PVC'd front forks with 20w oil.
TxRoadDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 AM   #33
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
20% faster and on 1 wheel! 50% less exposure.
Do you think by going faster you somehow shrink space and time? You occupy the same space always.
That was kind of part of Einstein's theory of relativity....

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #34
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Goodwin View Post
My dad taught me this year's ago while following him through Chattanooga. He said go faster than all the other traffic, they way you can focus only on traffic to the front.

Made sense to me, and it works. We're not talking about a 30mph difference here, but just a touch faster than the next fastest traffic makes riding much safer.

Good way to get run over by the soccer mom or guy on his cell phone doint 20% over the limit... not unusual on urban freeways.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #35
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Good way to get run over by the soccer mom or guy on his cell phone doing 20% over the limit... not unusual on urban freeways.
This could become a problem. If everyone is driving 20% over the speed limit, plus you add your 10% to that.... a little basic math tells me that I should be riding at... 343 miles per hour. Wait. That sounds high. Let me check the math again. Yep, 343 miles per hour.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 AM   #36
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
I think the subject has been well covered here but I do want to add a comment about another benefit to riding just a bit faster than the rest of traffic when conditions allow. If traffic is moving freely (or close to it), you can hang out in the left lane on the interstate. You will only have threats coming from your right and never from the left. If you stay fast enough that you're always passing, you rarely get threats from behind (don't ignore your mirrors for the odd driver who is actually faster). In general, you will only have threats from the front and right. That is a BIG advantage.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #37
TR562
Banned

Oddometer: 34
I absolutely have less close calls when I ride faster, when I ride slow and try to act like a car is when I get in trouble. I think it's because being next to cars for longer than necessary allows them to think of what stupid ass way they want to kill me.
TR562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 02:30 PM   #38
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Good way to get run over by the soccer mom or guy on his cell phone doint 20% over the limit... not unusual on urban freeways.
How do you get run over by a soccer mom while going 10% faster than her?
Old 03-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #39
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,147
I AM generally faster than traffic though.

10% faster than traffic.......why?

so you won't appear so blatantly speeding to a cop looking at the flow? possible

so you won't get side swiped by cagers? no

so you won't get hit by cages passing you? no.

I watch my six constantly. I ABSOLUTELY HATE cars and (mostly) bikes sneaking into my 4 to 8 o'clock blind spot. The shock I get when looking over my shoulder before a lane change finding something there I haven't seen in my mirrors. I can only blame myself.

I think blindspots has nothing to do with this. I either get up slightly in front of driver's door (noting whether driver is got phone glued to face or tapping on it) or I stay back. thats what you use those 1000cc for, right?
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #40
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
Rule #1) There is no rule that applies to all situations.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #41
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
I AM generally faster than traffic though.

10% faster than traffic.......why?

so you won't appear so blatantly speeding to a cop looking at the flow? possible

so you won't get side swiped by cagers? no

so you won't get hit by cages passing you? no.

I watch my six constantly. I ABSOLUTELY HATE cars and (mostly) bikes sneaking into my 4 to 8 o'clock blind spot. The shock I get when looking over my shoulder before a lane change finding something there I haven't seen in my mirrors. I can only blame myself.

I think blindspots has nothing to do with this. I either get up slightly in front of driver's door (noting whether driver is got phone glued to face or tapping on it) or I stay back. thats what you use those 1000cc for, right?
Could you adjust your mirror out to see more of the side?
Old 03-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #42
dondesmo
Senior Squid

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
i think the subject has been well covered here but i do want to add a comment about another benefit to riding just a bit faster than the rest of traffic when conditions allow. If traffic is moving freely (or close to it), you can hang out in the left lane on the interstate. You will only have threats coming from your right and never from the left. If you stay fast enough that you're always passing, you rarely get threats from behind (don't ignore your mirrors for the odd driver who is actually faster). In general, you will only have threats from the front and right. That is a big advantage.
+1
dondesmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #43
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox View Post
When going the same speed as the traffic, you tend to blend in too much and are not seen by cagers. If you are going a bit faster than traffic, you are in contrast to the traffic and stick out more. Also as someone said, you are in more control of your situation and can more easily adjust to whats going on when you have a little speed advantage.
Yep.
I commuted every day rain or shine, any shift for 8 years in the '80s/'90s
between Long Beach CA and LA and 10% was just about right during rush hour or traffic jams.
OldPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #44
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox View Post
When going the same speed as the traffic, you tend to blend in too much and are not seen by cagers. If you are going a bit faster than traffic, you are in contrast to the traffic and stick out more.
Can't say I agree in heavy traffic. You may stand out to someone travelling behind you if you are travelling faster (which is not where the problem is going to come from), and all you're doing is constantly sneaking up on the drivers ahead (which are the problem when they dive lanes without even indicating). They have zero awareness you are coming through in heavy traffic because even when they micro-glance in their mirrors and dart lanes they are looking for a car or truck. They aren't looking for a motorcycle and you don't even register in their brain. Many are totally unaware you're coming through.

When you travel in the inner or outer lane and position yourself at the same speed but behind the car in the lane next to you, and accelerate quickly to pass, you are minimizing the time you spend that a car can take you out. Riding in the middle lanes with traffic on both sides and travelling slightly faster than the traffic places you at the complete mercy of the cars ahead staying in their lanes, seeing you, and indicating. And we all know how many don't do A,B, and C.

10% faster may be appropriate strategy on an open flowing multi-lane highway with cars well spaced apart and travelling in packs etc. In heavy multi-lane packed in tight peak hour traffic I reckon its a recipe for quickly coming unstuck.

JohnCW screwed with this post 03-07-2014 at 11:15 PM
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #45
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
How do you get run over by a soccer mom while going 10% faster than her?
10% faster than general traffic flow, not 10% faster than anybody else.