Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 12:48 AM   #46
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
10% faster than general traffic flow, not 10% faster than anybody else.
Your soccer mom is part of the general traffic flow.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:26 AM   #47
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,339
ok, so you ride faster than anybody else.......

But wait a minute - weren't you the guy who thinks going slower than others could somehow also improve your safety on the road??
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:03 AM   #48
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Basically it's important to ride at a DIFFERENT speed than traffic. It does not matter so much if it's slower or faster, just different.
That way you have to focus mainly at one direction. It's most stressful if you overtake and are overtaken at the same time.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:25 AM   #49
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

ok then, you go slower and deal with being constantly passed (by road-users, whose condition & state of mind you do not know).

I rather not do so. On a bike that's pretty easy to avoid, too.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Old 03-09-2014, 12:48 AM   #50
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

The condition & state of mind of the ones I am passing I don't know as well. Or of the ones that would drive directly in front/behind/besides me for miles and miles and miles for that matter.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:57 AM   #51
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The condition & state of mind of the ones I am passing I don't know as well. Or of the ones that would drive directly in front/behind/besides me for miles and miles and miles for that matter.
Of course you don΄t know.

Difference is, when they are ahead of you, or even beside you, it will be much easier to react, if they do something unexpected. Getting rammed from behind by a drunk driver (for example), well good luck trying to avoid that. This is why it is safer, if you do not put yourself in a position, where others must pass you.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:32 AM   #52
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

If someone in front of you slams his brakes to ram you, how is that easier to handle than the one behind you who slams his gas pedal to ram you?
If the one you're approaching from behind doesn't see you and swerves into your lane, how is that easier to handle than the one doing the same after actively overtaking you?
Old 03-09-2014, 03:43 AM   #53
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If someone in front of you slams his brakes to ram you, how is that easier to handle than the one behind you who slams his gas pedal to ram you?
If the one you're approaching from behind doesn't see you and swerves into your lane, how is that easier to handle than the one doing the same after actively overtaking you?
Well, it is just plain and simple easier to see, what΄s happening, when it΄s not happening behind you. Unless you have eyes on you back of course..

(yeah, I know vehicles have mirrors, too)
Old 03-09-2014, 04:29 AM   #54
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Exactly. My vehicles have mirrors.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 AM   #55
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Exactly. My vehicles have mirrors.
Do your vehicles have mirrors, that give about 180 degree field of vision? If yes, I'll want to see how your mirrors look like.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #56
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
Do your vehicles have mirrors, that give about 180 degree field of vision? If yes, I'll want to see how your mirrors look like.
Napoleon Bar Ends on my SV, my view in the mirrors overlaps my peripheral vision, and directly behind me, the mirror views overlap, don't even have to move my head

99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:44 PM   #57
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

So then it doesn't matter, if the bike was able then you could ride backwards, and you'd still see ahead just as well using only mirrors, right..??
Old 03-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #58
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Oddometer: 573
Its better for you to dodge them instead of them trying to dodge you. I live by that rule on the ski hill as well.
Go Crutchlow #35
Go Hayden #69
Go Sykes #66
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #59
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
LOL...I love these. Truth is, when people say they "always" outrun traffic, they are 99.999% bullshit couch potatoes or 100% idiots.

The only way to outrun traffic is to leave pavement; which is fun, but not usually possible.

I do agree with most people here, that I like to find the empty pockets that usually occur during freeway or dual-lane highway traffic. But occasionally I find a nut. Actually, it's "usually I find a nut." This is the guy in the minivan or POS car that is offended that you are about to pass him, or are breathing the same air as him (or her). When I encounter these people, I keep them in FRONT of me. There is no way that I want a maniac behind me. I have more control if he is in FRONT of me. IF he slows to unsafe speeds, then I change roads. If I find a good opportunity to pass him AND put three or four cars between us, then I will. But if the road isn't congested, then I want to get away from that guy. If I ride in traffic at any time, I will usually encounter at least one of these idiots.

As far as always riding faster, sure......go for it. I travel I-64 in VA quite often. The limit is 70mph. Traffic is usually 75-78. If you travel faster than traffic, then you are approaching or exceeding 80. ANYTHING ABOVE 80MPH IS A CRIMINAL WRECKLESS DRIVING IN VA and this requires an appearance in court. They DO NOT tell you this when they issue the ticket. I have worked with people that have lost security clearances and their jobs because of this specific speeding ticket. Speed at your own risk.

aterry1067 screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 07:20 AM
aterry1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:34 AM   #60
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by aterry1067 View Post
LOL...I love these. Truth is, when people say they "always" outrun traffic, they are 99.999% bullshit couch potatoes or 100% idiots.

The only way to outrun traffic is to leave pavement; which is fun, but not usually possible.

I do agree with most people here, that I like to find the empty pockets that usually occur during freeway or dual-lane highway traffic. But occasionally I find a nut. Actually, it's "usually I find a nut." This is the guy in the minivan or POS car that is offended that you are about to pass him, or are breathing the same air as him (or her). When I encounter these people, I keep them in FRONT of me. There is no way that I want a maniac behind me. I have more control if he is in FRONT of me. IF he slows to unsafe speeds, then I change roads. If I find a good opportunity to pass him AND put three or four cars between us, then I will. But if the road isn't congested, then I want to get away from that guy. If I ride in traffic at any time, I will usually encounter at least one of these idiots.

As far as always riding faster, sure......go for it. I travel I-64 in VA quite often. The limit is 70mph. Traffic is usually 75-78. If you travel faster than traffic, then you are approaching or exceeding 80. ANYTHING ABOVE 80MPH IS A CRIMINAL WRECKLESS DRIVING IN VA and this requires an appearance in court. They DO NOT tell you this when they issue the ticket. I have worked with people that have lost security clearances and their jobs because of this specific speeding ticket. Speed at your own risk, and (without sending this to CSM) pay attn. to who you vote for.
A rule of thumb for canoeing a river is to go faster or slower than the water. I do not think this applies to riding a motorcycle on the highway. For me, the ideal is to run with the traffic and maintain safe distances. Of course this concept has its challenges.