Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 06:07 AM   #61
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
So then it doesn't matter, if the bike was able then you could ride backwards, and you'd still see ahead just as well using only mirrors, right..??
hows that ? my mirrors are not aimed forward and I also sit behind them
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #62
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
This could become a problem. If everyone is driving 20% over the speed limit, plus you add your 10% to that.... a little basic math tells me that I should be riding at... 343 miles per hour. Wait. That sounds high. Let me check the math again. Yep, 343 miles per hour.
Then stack on the shrinking effect from Einstein's theory of relativity and we all eventually just disappear... kinda like what happens on Star Trek when hitting warp speed... POOF! Gone!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #63
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Your soccer mom is part of the general traffic flow.

Awe, bite it.

If you don't have a clue, just say so!

'cause you're sure as hell showing it...

or are just doing your normal stirring of shit!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #64
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
Then stack on the shrinking effect from Einstein's theory of relativity and we all eventually just disappear... kinda like what happens on Star Trek when hitting warp speed... POOF! Gone!
it only takes 88mph and 1.21 gigawatts of power
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:55 AM   #65
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
it only takes 88mph and 1.21 gigawatts of power
In Wraith Rider's world, 1.21 gigawatts of power isn't enough to go 88mph.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #66
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,997
IME riding in 4 lanes of traffic moving 75+ for more than a few years, you really do want to be moving faster than the people around you.

The biggest reason is it gives YOU control over where you pass, how you pass, and most of all WHEN you pass.

...and...

If wrecks happen, its best if they're behind you.

M
Old 03-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #67
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
If wrecks happen, its best if they're behind you.
Ok I give up, how does your speed dictate that crashes only occur behind and not ahead of you?
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:33 PM   #68
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Ok I give up, how does your speed dictate that crashes only occur behind and not ahead of you?
Not necessarily speed per se, but in riding 'head's up' you will notice someone road raging, DHUA, etc and if you're riding faster than traffic, you can put those people behind you. Behind you means you're not affected when they do something stupid.

M
Old 03-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #69
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Ron View Post
The comment "I ride 10% faster than traffic" comes up fairly often here. Proponents suggest it is a safety strategy. I'm not sure I understand it completely.
I think the rule of thumb is that if you can keep moving, you keep moving. You always want to keep your position fresh in the minds of all the drivers.
If I hadn't been moving at least 10% faster I would have been killed in LA traffic, several times over.....and that's not for lack of trying either as im sure some of you know
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #70
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Quote:

The biggest reason is it gives YOU control over where you pass, how you pass, and most of all WHEN you pass.

M

Exactly, I time it so I can pass the car on my right, when he is "NOT" passing by the broken down truck on the shoulder with no room to spare.

Unlike the typical cage driver who could care less "WHEN" he passes someone
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:15 PM   #71
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Exactly, I time it so I can pass the car on my right, when he is "NOT" passing by the broken down truck on the shoulder with no room to spare.

Unlike the typical cage driver who could care less "WHEN" he passes someone
This, the averag car driver will be blissfully unaware of when he's beside another car. Some could be five wide in trucks and not notice. They tend to pass whenever the small spacing they have been using puts them alongside a slower car, no more thought to it than that. The competent motorcyclist watches what the cars and trucks that matter to him are doing. If you are faster, it's only the ones ahead of you that are of any concern. Easy to keep an eye on them without even thinking about it. When the five wide herd suddenly wakes up and starts going every which way, when one of them changes lanes, when one gets offended and starts playing fuck fuck on the highway, the motorcyclist who has been watching all of this play out won't be in the way.

If you are comfortable with having all of the other traffic assume responsibility for you safety, then by all means drive like they do.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:26 AM   #72
JohnCW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Not necessarily speed per se, but in riding 'head's up' you will notice someone road raging, DHUA, etc and if you're riding faster than traffic, you can put those people behind you. Behind you means you're not affected when they do something stupid.

M
And in heavy peak hour traffic you can also totally keep clear of a maniac lane darter who doesn't indicate by deciding to sit back behind them. I feel I'm far more in control behind this type of idiot, than overtaking him and them have him possibly end up beside me again just because my lane has slowed and his got a 'free kick'.

I get a sense in this discussion that heavy bumper to bumper traffic and flowing freeway traffic are being discussed as one. I think they are quite different situations. Progress through bumper to bumper peak hour traffic if you're not totally familiar with the road can be as much luck as skill sometimes.
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:42 AM   #73
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Complacency Kills

The reason it is safer to ride slightly faster than the general flow of traffic (other than all the other reasons already mentioned) is that when you do so, you are forced to be more engaged in the task of riding.

When you go with the flow you get lulled into the flow and fall into complacency far more easily.

Complacency Kills Riders.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:17 AM   #74
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
And in heavy peak hour traffic you can also totally keep clear of a maniac lane darter who doesn't indicate by deciding to sit back behind them. I feel I'm far more in control behind this type of idiot, than overtaking him and them have him possibly end up beside me again just because my lane has slowed and his got a 'free kick'.

I get a sense in this discussion that heavy bumper to bumper traffic and flowing freeway traffic are being discussed as one. I think they are quite different situations. Progress through bumper to bumper peak hour traffic if you're not totally familiar with the road can be as much luck as skill sometimes.
If you're moving thru traffic, there's little chance they're gonna end up behind you again. BTDT

...there's ways of scraping those types off on other cars without them being aware that you've done it.

I'd still rather have a bad/aggressive/DHUA driver behind me than in front of me. As I said earlier: you aren't affected if they do something stupid if they're behind you. If something happens *in front of you,* you could very well be 'involved.' That's bad in a car and worse on a moto.

M
Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #75
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
I like to keep road maniacs/drunks either in front, or well behind. Never have them stay close behind, that's clearly the most dangerous position IMO, esp. on a motorcycle.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote