Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #16
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,494
Lets start from the beginning, what happened that it went to the KTM mechanic in the first place? You said mechanical issues, if the issues you talk about now were not there prior to the KTM mechanic repairing the mechanical issues you need to back track. Its not uncommon for something else to wrong after repairing the initial problem, read about it all the time. The eyes are the most powerful tool god gave us. Good luck with the repair

RIDE ON!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:57 PM   #17
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
You need to acquire a digital meter do some BASIC mechanical work:

Charge the battery, take it off the charger, let it sit for an hour and check voltage. if it's not at least 12.6 volts, battery is bad and nbothing else electrical will perform correctly. Check battery cables for clean and tightness.

Then start the bike, let it idle and check voltage at the battery. If it's not at least 13.4 volts, you have a regulator or stator problem. Rev it up and note change in voltage. Should stay close to 13.2-13.6 volts.

With no more info than you have provided, I would be betting on a bad battery and/or loose cables. If it is a speedo (?) or regulator problem at such low miles, I will buy you a beer.

70,000+ miles on a 950 and 990 with no electrical problems. You need a new mechanic!!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #18
Kendrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Decent amount of guys on this board with SE's. I would suspect if your issues were more commonplace we'd have heard about it by now (especially in regards to overall reliability). Doesn't seem to be the case. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water....with some minor sorting of known issues (fuel pump, VR, etc..), I think they're pretty stout actually. Get it sorted and flog it!
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:28 PM   #19
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,563
check batt terminals
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #20
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post
check batt terminals
Good grief that's good advice. Well done.
Start with the simplest stuff.

I once saved a guy's trip by checking his battery cables. He was ready to start cutting into his wiring harness and all kinds of crap, two tuns of a screwdriver and his bike was A-OK. Never met the guy before, turns out it was VegasGSA, at Salvation Mountain.

And not to go into nanny mode, but asking the poor guy to sell his bike when he just needs a little help?

Come on, men.
The guy had the gumption to ask for help, the least we can do is try and help him a bit.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #21
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,473
Being one of those guys that work on motorcycles, and sometimes things fail on motorcycles that are not related to the work that was performed...... almost 100% of the time the last person to supposedly touched it is now responsible for the failure. IMO, obviously those who immediately suggest that it is the mechanic's fault and that the owner of the bike needs to seek out another mech clearly do not understand. I get it, the motorcycle fails and its frustrating, any failure is frustrating. But blindly blaming the mech is faulty in and of it self.

There are systems that fault/fail. Some are more likely to fail. IMO and experience very few KTM 950/990 SE/ADV/SM/SD are 'turds'
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:41 AM   #22
ABuck99

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by summitdog View Post

"Is the KTM that big of a turd that everything electrical is highly suspect? "
Scotty- Unfortunately the SE is the worst of all the LC8's, they are prone to heaps of problems- especially once they get up about 6,000 miles. The value drops like a rock. I think you would better off to sell it. Of course I might be interested at the right price
Old 03-07-2014, 04:41 AM   #23
summitdog OP
It's an Azawakh

Oddometer: 193
I needed to take the bike to the shop because it needed a new emissions tag for it to be registered. Secondly, I have a Rekluse clutch and I was experiencing problems with the bike dying when shifted from neutral to 1 st gear. I thought it was the clutch but it turned out to be the kickstand kill switch had gone bad.

I just checked all of the fuses, they are fine. Thank you for the suggestions.

Scotty Storey, Attorneys at Law
800-264-4379
info@twowheellaw.com

AFM #733
summitdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:14 AM   #24
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,955
Tell the mechanic to check and make sure BOTH ground wires are attached to the negative terminal of the battery. I've seen this before on a friends SE. He brought it home from the dealer with a new battery installed. Went for a ride and the bike quit. He got the bike back home, called the dealer and they said they would replace the battery. I stopped by his place that night and noticed the second ground wasn't attached. Hooked it up and it's been A-OK since.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:44 AM   #25
summitdog OP
It's an Azawakh

Oddometer: 193
The battery connections are fine. I have a Shorai battery in it. Anyone have problems with those?
Scotty

Scotty Storey, Attorneys at Law
800-264-4379
info@twowheellaw.com

AFM #733
summitdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #26
CollinsB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 940
Quote:
The mechanic is the best KTM mechanic in the area. He is at a KTM dealership and the only reason that the dealership is still around is largely because of his skillset.

Scotty
Really his skill set? I see this often; mechanics who can't diagnose technical issues. Find a real mechanic and get the bike fixed. When the SE is dialed in, there's nothing quite like it!
CollinsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #27
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
This is clearly going to be a rant and I acknowledge the fact. I have not ridden my SE for almost a year and a half b/c of mechanical issues and calendaring issues b/w the mechanic and me.

...he thinks it could be the speedo b/c he has had to replace 5 or 6 of them on the 950s... Then I notice that the headlight no longer is on when I turn on the switch but the speedo still has electricity. Then the mechanic says that it maybe the regulating rectifier. He has replaced at least 6 of them on this bike....
As a mechanic (or rather a mechanic in a previous life) these things make me think he's not all he's cracked up to be, for various reasons. I would highly recommend trying to work on it yourself, if you have a little time and some desire to learn. You'll save yourself a lot of time and money in the long run. And the SE is a pretty fantastic bike, for the record.

So your symptons are:
-does not run (died suddenly)
-battery is fine (has voltage)
-headlight no longer comes on, but the gauges do
-doesn't crank

are any of the other lights working? (signals, brake/tail, etc)

One of the more common electrical issues with these is that the wiring around the steering head breaks from fatigue. Typically limited to higher mile 950s, but doesn't mean it isn't an issue here.

I would really doubt it's the speedo. When those fail, you usually lose functionality or the buttons stop working, but it's unlikely that it will take out the whole bike.

Have you gone through the fuses? Check the main block as well as the main fuse/starter fuse, which at least on an adventure are on the lower right hand side of the engine under the skid plate.

Do you have a multimeter? they're one of the most handy tools out there, and without one it's really hard to diagnose issues. You can get them pretty cheap at most hardware stores.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:46 AM   #28
rhodeydog
Childish adult

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
The battery connections are fine. I have a Shorai battery in it. Anyone have problems with those?
Scotty
FWIW, there's another thread going in OC where the poster had an EarthX which he fried by mistakenly leaving a draw on it overnight. He charged it back up, the battery voltage checked out fine, but it turned out that it couldn't deliver the needed amperage & all sorts of electrical stuff went haywire with the bike. He replaced the battery and all was well again (I think). Might explain why your batt. could power your speedo but couldn't manage the higher amp draw from your headlight.

I have Shorai's in all my bikes now and thus far no problems. Their characteristics are different from conventional LA batts, (e.g. cold starting; reserve capacity, etc.), and some people (possibly even seasoned mechanics) may not be totally dialed in to this (relatively new technology) yet.

FWIW . . . .
rhodeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #29
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Scotty

Yes there have been some faulty ones.

Also they require to be put on their special charger to fully charge the battery every so many months.

I believe that Earth X batteries and some of the other newer ones do not have this issue as the charger is built into the battery
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #30
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,563
When the key is on, before the engine is started, the headlight is supposed to be on.

The reason that it is not on seems a clue as to the problem.

When the stater is pressed the headlight is disconnected so that the starter gets more juice. When starter button is released the headlight comes back on.

This is done with the solenoid somehow, I'm not sure exactly.

So look at the solenoid and connections? Find out why the headlight isn't on.
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote