User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 07:49 AM   #31
Katoom72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Get a multimeter and a 6pack
'00 KTM 250sx -- '03 KTM 450sx -- '03 Yamaha R6 -- '08 KTM SuperDuke R --- '13 KTM 690 enduro R
Katoom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #32
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTATANGO View Post

When the stater is pressed the headlight is disconnected so that the starter gets more juice. When starter button is released the headlight comes back on.

This is not a true statement for the KTM 950/990. There is nothing configured to disconnect the headlight circuit while the start circuit is energized. What you are seeing is a significant sag in system voltage and the head light is only dimming as a result. Some motorcycles do this (disconnect the headlight), Honda did it on some of the models, but for this application, it is not the case. There are 4 relays, one is the Primary Main that is controlled by the key switch that energizes the lights and several other circuits, and provides power to the Secondary Main, the Secondary main is controlled by the bar switch, this energizes the ECU and a couple other systems, the ECU then controls the Fuel Pump relay. The remaining relay is the Safety Relay which controls if the start button works or not depending on side stand, gear position, clutch position.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 AM   #33
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,594
The SE isn't the turd in this equation.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:53 AM   #34
rhodeydog
Childish adult

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
This is not a true statement for the KTM 950/990. There is nothing configured to disconnect the headlight circuit while the start circuit is energized. What you are seeing is a significant sag in system voltage and the head light is only dimming as a result. Some motorcycles do this (disconnect the headlight), Honda did it on some of the models, but for this application, it is not the case. There are 4 relays, one is the Primary Main that is controlled by the key switch that energizes the lights and several other circuits, and provides power to the Secondary Main, the Secondary main is controlled by the bar switch, this energizes the ECU and a couple other systems, the ECU then controls the Fuel Pump relay. The remaining relay is the Safety Relay which controls if the start button works or not depending on side stand, gear position, clutch position.
Bit of a hijack here, but since we're on the subject of the SE's electrical system, I'd love to know if there's a reasonably straightforward way of installing a switch to manually turn the headlight on & off (when offroad). I installed this set-up on my 990 but it was easy -- KTM sells a Euro switch and it's just plug & play. Seems more complicated on the SE . . . .
rhodeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:15 AM   #35
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodeydog View Post
Bit of a hijack here, but since we're on the subject of the SE's electrical system, I'd love to know if there's a reasonably straightforward way of installing a switch to manually turn the headlight on & off (when offroad). I installed this set-up on my 990 but it was easy -- KTM sells a Euro switch and it's just plug & play. Seems more complicated on the SE . . . .
Yes its possible, however not a 'plug/play' like the ADV since the bar harness and main harness plugs are different between the two models.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #36
rhodeydog
Childish adult

Quote:
Yes its possible, however not a 'plug/play' like the ADV since the bar harness and main harness plugs are different between the two models.
I also got it done on my 530 via a switch that came from Sicass Racing as I recall. I have HID's on all my bikes which run at lower amperage, but require slightly higher amperage than stock on start-up. The on/off option is nice since I can then wait a few secs. for the battery voltage to come up before switching on the HID. It's also to nice to have in the event you encounter an electrical issue and need to limp home.

Maybe you could add this onto your impressive lineup on advmachines?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #37
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
That sucks yours has an issue. Hardly a turd though you'll get it figured out.

I had the fuel pump die, other than that mines been good. I don't ride it as much as I would like so its only got 13,000 miles or something.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #38
DELTATANGO
Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer: 13,485
Quote:
OK, I stand corrected. I'm new to these great motorcycles..
DELTATANGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #39
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodeydog View Post
I'd love to know if there's a reasonably straightforward way of installing a switch to manually turn the headlight on & off (when offroad). . . . .
FYI...

THIS SWITCH is plug & play on the SE. I have one. Another inmate pointed me to it after I initially ordered the Euro switch for the Adventure, assuming it would work.

The SE molex plugs for those controls are wired like the EXC's & this switch pops right it. The "OFF" function works great. It has an LED indicator for turn signals, high beam, etc. on the top of the switch, which is nice for me, since I'm not running the stock instrument cluster.

Hijack over
Old 03-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #40
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Can I do my lawyer joke now?
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #41
rhodeydog
Childish adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
HEY! I resemble that remark! OK, OK, I've already heard most of them but there's always a chance somebody's got a new one.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #42
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Old 03-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #43
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post
Old 03-07-2014, 05:18 PM   #44
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,396
Without repeating what others have said maybe an auto/moto sparky would be a better choice than a mechanic?

Least they have the mindset to chase those gremlins that hide in our wiring harnesses.

Best to getting here sorted and turning her from a turd to shit hot!!
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #45
woodchuckexc
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
I'm close to San Jose. I'll take the turd off your hands if you get to frustrated.
woodchuckexc is offline   Reply With Quote