User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 04:38 AM   #16
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 185
Wink

A guy that has shown up a couple of times for rides with our meetup group has an FZ1. Similar story, he always rode "slow" bikes, blah, blah, blah.

Kind of a squid, picked up two group rule infractions (yes we have rules and safety checks, and pre-ride safety meetings) for following too close and passing in a curve. He was warned that a third offense would get him permanently expelled.

He posted on the site "does anyone know a good lawyer for speeding tickets? I was going a little too fast on the way to work yesterday".

How fast were you going someone asked.

"146 in a 60 mph zone". Dude is SCREWED.

Remember this: The throttle goes both ways. If you feel the need for ludicrous speed on a public road, at least have the sense to scout the intended section first. Or as Forrest Gump's momma said: Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:26 AM   #17
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
Here are two words you need to know: Track Day.

You're welcome,

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #18
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Are you able to remain chill on the hot bikes?
Yes.

But...

Why should I? Life's too short to go slow.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:22 AM   #19
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Gearhead and Tim Tom nailed it.

Our 26 y.o. daughter has her ZX6R out in California with her. She has ridden 1000cc bikes. She has done track days.

Frequently I remind her about safety and speed. She is careful and while she isn't a slowpoke, she reminds ME that her right hand is connected to the smart portion of her brain.

Any boob can pin the throttle on a straight road but moderate speeds and good lines while having fun in the twisties takes skill.

Keep your right hand hooked up to the smart portion of your brain and you will be fine.
I always ride my scooter, but a few years ago I picked up a deal on a 79 Goldwing I decided to fix up. As I went through the numerous small repairs and cleanings and upkeep, I noticed that every time I had a few beers I would hop on the Goldwing and bash around the dirt roads here on my unregistered superpower. I was 58 and weighed 170 lb. but the big bike was surprisingly controllable even on wet grass, but I could see this bike was going to get me so I sold it. I told myself it was because it was a gas hog, which is true. I haven't missed it too bad.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:05 AM   #20
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
[QUOTE=scootrboi;23634967... I noticed that every time I had a few beers I would hop on the Goldwing and bash around the dirt roads here on my unregistered superpower. I was 58 and weighed 170 lb. but the big bike was surprisingly controllable even on wet grass, but I could see this bike was going to get me....[/QUOTE]

So this one I really can't understand. I've never felt the urge to drive or ride anything if alcohol is involved, and it's usually pretty easy to avoid needing to drive until sober. I suppose it's good that you found a solution to the problem, but it really isn't hard to just leave it in the garage until the next day...
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:28 AM   #21
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
So this one I really can't understand. I've never felt the urge to drive or ride anything if alcohol is involved
Alcohol increases ones desires. At least it's that way to me.
In addition, it's just plain fun to ride through the woods while drunk. Switching off the lights from time to time in a moonless new year's eve night.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #22
wecsoger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Two comments.

First one, cheerfully stolen, "It's more fun to go fast on a slow bike than going slow on a fast bike."

Second one (if you _can't_ go slow), "Speed doesn't kill. Delta-V kills."
wecsoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #23
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
So this one I really can't understand. I've never felt the urge to drive or ride anything if alcohol is involved, and it's usually pretty easy to avoid needing to drive until sober. I suppose it's good that you found a solution to the problem, but it really isn't hard to just leave it in the garage until the next day...
I gave up alcohol completely over a year ago. It is a better life.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:12 AM   #24
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,533
I have done a few track days and it would be fun to get back into that but long distance and curvy roads hold more appeal. Just have to see how things play out. I think when I get the bike dialed in(still needs carb clean) and the fueling is smooth down low there will be less need for higher revs on take off.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #25
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I try to avoid both ,but I'll never ride in total fear of either.
This. It's a checks and balance kind of thing. You usually know where you can speed and where you can't unless you're riding someplace unfamiliar. Sure, every now and then the law of averages does sneak up on you. But hey, I consider it a tax so I can ride the way I want to.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #26
Sniperx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
I'm new. Coming up on 6000 miles and 6 months.

I dove straight in and got an 1150GS. Much to the dismay of many "pros" on this board...surely I'd kill myself in the first 100 miles. Personally, while the GS is no rocket, I found it very easy to keep things at a proper speed. Again, the GS is not fast, but in motos vs cars (especially the cars I drive)...the motorcycles have more potential for acceleration and speed. On a motorcycle, I have become very conscious of things going on...from the road, to the bike, to myself...theres no one to blame, but you.

Me, I hear people say things like, "I like to wring out a smaller motor...its more fun." and cringe. I work on cars, I pay for stuff out of my own pocket...and I build/tune motors. Engines are not meant to operate at their RPM limit for med-long periods of time (hence rev limiters). I just think of the heat, pressure, and wear on all those sliding surfaces as the RPMs climb. As someone who relies on his machines to make a living...I want to know they will start up and get me home every time.

I also keep in mind, at speed, when things go wrong...they go really wrong really fast. Be it engine damage, a seized drive shaft, or a flat tire...there will not be time to save things at high speed.

Keeping these things in mind has kept me out of trouble when having a liter bike as noob. You sound like you have considerably more experience than I, so I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:11 AM   #27
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
I'm new. Coming up on 6000 miles and 6 months.

I dove straight in and got an 1150GS. Much to the dismay of many "pros" on this board...surely I'd kill myself in the first 100 miles. Personally, while the GS is no rocket, I found it very easy to keep things at a proper speed. Again, the GS is not fast, but in motos vs cars (especially the cars I drive)...the motorcycles have more potential for acceleration and speed. On a motorcycle, I have become very conscious of things going on...from the road, to the bike, to myself...theres no one to blame, but you.

Me, I hear people say things like, "I like to wring out a smaller motor...its more fun." and cringe. I work on cars, I pay for stuff out of my own pocket...and I build/tune motors. Engines are not meant to operate at their RPM limit for med-long periods of time (hence rev limiters). I just think of the heat, pressure, and wear on all those sliding surfaces as the RPMs climb. As someone who relies on his machines to make a living...I want to know they will start up and get me home every time.

I also keep in mind, at speed, when things go wrong...they go really wrong really fast. Be it engine damage, a seized drive shaft, or a flat tire...there will not be time to save things at high speed.

Keeping these things in mind has kept me out of trouble when having a liter bike as noob. You sound like you have considerably more experience than I, so I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.
Good advice, but there are exceptions. My bike can redline till it's out of gas.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #28
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Here are two words you need to know: Track Day.

You're welcome,
Amen.
This is where you can stretch that throttle cable without fear of getting into trouble.
And no dillholes on cellphones either.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #29
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,007
http://advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #30
kbroderick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Good advice, but there are exceptions. My bike can redline till it's out of gas.
I put almost 28k on a NInja 250, and I assure you that plenty of those miles were in the 10-12k RPM range. 14k is the marked redline on that bike, 14.5 is rev limiter, but power definitely dropped off before then. I'd love to get another bike of similar displacement for on-pavement duty, although I'm not so sure I want to be bothered to maintain a second bike. I sure do miss trying to wring out the bike and still being at relatively sane speeds for public roadways; I keep knobbies on the 1150 most of the time to discourage too much time at high speed.

And yes, the engine wasn't quite as happy at 28k as it was at 10k, but it was still happier than when I bought it…with twice the appropriate amount of oil in it. (yay, previous owner)
kbroderick is offline   Reply With Quote