Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #31
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Good advice, but there are exceptions. My bike can redline till it's out of gas.

The manufacturer set the limiter where they were confident enough to warranty the engine.
If they didn't want it to turn that fast they would have turned it down.

I always believed they left a bit of headroom.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #32
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
I never really understood the top speed fascination. I raced professionally for a number of years and to be honest 120 doesn't look a whole lot different than 160, it just changes the braking markers a bit. From personal experience, crashing at 140mph does have an increased pucker factor over say 60mph but in reality, any monkey can get on a bike and ride 140+mph so what's the point.
You can have way more fun and adrenalin rushes cranking through the corners at 60-70mph. If you have a need for speed get on a race track or head to Bonneville.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #33
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Oddometer: 791
It feels good to haul ass. Weather it be in a straight line or around a corner,letting yourself go and stretching the bikes legs is what makes life enjoyable. The ZX6 is a good bike by the way, congrats.
Crutchlow #35, Hayden #69, Sykes #66, Herrin #2, Noyes #9

Go Edwards # 5
Go Stoner #27
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #34
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
Engines are not meant to operate at their RPM limit for med-long periods of time (hence rev limiters).
Of course they are. And if it fails while doing so, Honda will replace it for me within the first five years. That's why there is a rev limiter, to ensure the engine does only operate at rpms it's meant to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I never really understood the top speed fascination. I raced professionally for a number of years and to be honest 120 doesn't look a whole lot different than 160, it just changes the braking markers a bit.
In my experience while the bike is rock stable at 120mph she gets a bit nervous at 160mph, especially when breaking slightly leaned over. It's always that way at the speed limit of a stock street legal vehicle, at its top speed it's not as stable as at 75% of it. You might not experience this that much on a race bike due to better suspension.
Also on the road its not brake markers that fly by. Its trees, side streets, animals, houses, mowing machines, lakes, mountains, cars and so on. That gives a slightly other impression at speed than brake markers.

Quote:
You can have way more fun and adrenalin rushes cranking through the corners at 60-70mph.
Have a try with the adrenalin rush you get when your brake marker is a lorry changing into your lane 150m in front of you at 160mph.
And while some here would argue that a 60...70mph corner isn't a corner at all, showing you pictures of 25mph speed limit signs, why not do both? Why not have monkey-fun as well as "I'm sooo skilled"-fun?
Old 03-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #35
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
In my experience while the bike is rock stable at 120mph she gets a bit nervous at 160mph, especially when breaking slightly leaned over. It's always that way at the speed limit of a stock street legal vehicle, at its top speed it's not as stable as at 75% of it. You might not experience this that much on a race bike due to better suspension.
All of my bikes, street or race have good suspension, don't yours? None of my bikes are "nervous" at any speed. Trying to out-ride your suspension is just flat stupid, at any speed. IMHO

Quote:
Also on the road its not brake markers that fly by. Its trees, side streets, animals, houses, mowing machines, lakes, mountains, cars and so on. That gives a slightly other impression at speed than brake markers.
I have been at "speed" on the street, speed is speed. I don't know that having things fly by makes the impression any different.

Quote:
Have a try with the adrenalin rush you get when your brake marker is a lorry changing into your lane 150m in front of you at 160mph.
And while some here would argue that a 60...70mph corner isn't a corner at all, showing you pictures of 25mph speed limit signs, why not do both? Why not have monkey-fun as well as "I'm sooo skilled"-fun?
If you are "really" doing 160mph and a lorry changes into your lane in front of you, you're not going to have time to do much other than become a tailgate ornament.
Don't get me wrong here, I'm no safetycrat. I've done my share of scafflaw riding over the years but I still don't see the point. I will on rare occasions crank it up on the street but the occasions are few and far between. My current main streetbike (a GSXR1000) has only been over 100mph a couple times. Maybe that's why I've been riding sportbikes since the early 80's and still have my license. ;)
Old 03-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #36
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,117
Braking leaned over at 160?
You're just itching to tuck that thing, eh?

To me, going that fast isn't fun at all. It's sorta bouncy and vague feeling. But that probably just my inner corner carver speaking.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #37
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
All of my bikes, street or race have good suspension, don't yours? None of my bikes are "nervous" at any speed. Trying to out-ride your suspension is just flat stupid, at any speed. IMHO
The suspension is as good as needed. My CBF 600 was rock stable at 100mph but at her limits of stability at 130mph. Even more so with side and top case. The VFR now has better suspension and is rock stable at 130mph and not so stable at 160mph with top case. Their suspensions are designed to match their top speeds. Of course one could improve the suspension further but that would be expensive.

Quote:
I have been at "speed" on the street, speed is speed. I don't know that having things fly by makes the impression any different.
Imagine a road in the void. You won't have any impression of speed at all. Other objects are the most important thing for the impression of speed.

Quote:
If you are "really" doing 160mph and a lorry changes into your lane in front of you, you're not going to have time to do much other than become a tailgate ornament.
Ever considered braking?

Quote:
My current main streetbike (a GSXR1000) has only been over 100mph a couple times. Maybe that's why I've been riding sportbikes since the early 80's and still have my license. ;)
I do it at least twice every dry day on my way to/from work. OK, I'm allowed to do so at the biggest part of that road but going 100mph instead of the posted 62mph on other roads wouldn't be good for my licence as well if I got caught.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:32 PM   #38
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
So this one I really can't understand. I've never felt the urge to drive or ride anything if alcohol is involved, and it's usually pretty easy to avoid needing to drive until sober. I suppose it's good that you found a solution to the problem, but it really isn't hard to just leave it in the garage until the next day...
Actually as a reckless youth it was really fun! When I was 18-22 it was the norm for us to have quad races around the fields while drinking and stuff. I definitely drank and drove the bike a couple times. The last time I found myself riding a 110 at midnight and having way too much fun. Knowing how poor my reaction times and hand eye coordination were, and the risks involved I never rode while drinking again.

I probably rode a dozen times when I shouldn't have, I got lucky. The worst was waking up the day we left the rental unit and having to drive 4 hours to the Catskills while the acid was still affecting me and I had a pretty good hangover. I haven't done that kind of thing in 5 years. Now if I've got a cold coming on I take the car because even a cold throws off my mojo.

I got done with work and a bunch of us went out for pizza one time before a work meeting at 6ish. I had 3 slices of pizza and 2 beers in like 30 minutes. I had a 5 mile ride back to the meeting. I'm 225 pounds, it takes 4 beers to put me over the legal limit(I won't drink more than 1 per hour if I have to drive now, and NO ALCOHOL before riding a motorcycle) but 2 beers is enough to affect fine motor skills leaning it hard on a turn.
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #39
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzoso View Post
Actually as a reckless youth it was really fun! When I was 18-22 it was the norm for us to have quad races around the fields while drinking and stuff. I definitely drank and drove the bike a couple times. The last time I found myself riding a 110 at midnight and having way too much fun. Knowing how poor my reaction times and hand eye coordination were, and the risks involved I never rode while drinking again.

I probably rode a dozen times when I shouldn't have, I got lucky. The worst was waking up the day we left the rental unit and having to drive 4 hours to the Catskills while the acid was still affecting me and I had a pretty good hangover. I haven't done that kind of thing in 5 years. Now if I've got a cold coming on I take the car because even a cold throws off my mojo.

I got done with work and a bunch of us went out for pizza one time before a work meeting at 6ish. I had 3 slices of pizza and 2 beers in like 30 minutes. I had a 5 mile ride back to the meeting. I'm 225 pounds, it takes 4 beers to put me over the legal limit(I won't drink more than 1 per hour if I have to drive now, and NO ALCOHOL before riding a motorcycle) but 2 beers is enough to affect fine motor skills leaning it hard on a turn.
Drinking and thinking is hard work.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #40
Kawasakirob
Flick the Bean

Oddometer: 791
Quote:
I never really understood the top speed fascination. I raced professionally for a number of years and to be honest 120 doesn't look a whole lot different than 160,
If you were a professional racer, you of all people should understand and see the fascination for top speed. If bikes are flying by you on the straight on your way to the next corner....your going to be a little upset that your bike is down on power, especially if those riders are just as skilled. And 160 looks a whole lot different then 120, just like 80 looks a whole lot different than 40.

You want the bike that is down on the straights? You can have it, I'll take one of the others thank you.
Crutchlow #35, Hayden #69, Sykes #66, Herrin #2, Noyes #9

Go Edwards # 5
Go Stoner #27

Kawasakirob screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 06:07 AM
Kawasakirob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #41
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawasakirob View Post
If you were a professional racer, you of all people should understand and see the fascination for top speed. If bikes are flying by you on the straight on your way to the next corner....your going to be a little upset that your bike is down on power, especially if those riders are just as skilled. And 160 looks a whole lot different then 120, just like 80 looks a whole lot different than 40.

You want the bike that is down on the straights? You can have it, I'll take one of the others thank you.
I fully understand the thrill of racing, out braking or out accelerating the next guy but the thrill of just going fast? Not so much. There is no skill involved in it. Maybe that's why I never saw the thrill in drag racing either? Except for the start it's kind of mindless.
Sorry, I don't see much difference between 160 and 120. You're tucked in, head down behind the bubble. That's usually when I'm trying to relax during a race. There is not much else to do. I suppose if you sat up you'd notice a big difference. To be honest I don't know the fastest I've ever been. None of my race bikes have speedo's and the street bikes speedos are so inaccurate it's not funny. My Suzuki overstates it's actual speed buy 10+%.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #42
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
The suspension is as good as needed. My CBF 600 was rock stable at 100mph but at her limits of stability at 130mph. Even more so with side and top case. The VFR now has better suspension and is rock stable at 130mph and not so stable at 160mph with top case. Their suspensions are designed to match their top speeds. Of course one could improve the suspension further but that would be expensive.
If you're going to go that fast I would suggest investing in some suspension parts. If your bike is not rock solid at speed you shouldn't be there, period! Outriding your suspension is a recipe for a trip to the hospital. Even when I was young and poor I spend all my money on suspension before I spent a penny on the engine.
I learned that lesson after my very first race. My bike was wallowing into turn 8/9 at Willow Springs. Which if you are not familiar with is (on a 600) flat out. It was a little disconcerting. I was practically sitting on the gas tank trying to keep the bike on the track. In the paddock I was complaining to an editor of a moto mag and he pointed out that my brand new bike had a stock shock and suggested I replace it. I went out an purchased an Ohlin's shock with my last pennies and the next race weekend I went from mid pack to top 5. No more wallowing, no more bad behavior even with my knee on the ground with the bike past red-line in sixth gear (now there is a rush). Thus started my journey into the realm of good suspension. I don't care how poor I am, suspension gets upgraded first.

Quote:
Ever considered braking?
Seriously, if you're doing 160 and a lorry pulls into your lane at the speed limit of say 60mph. That's a 100mph speed differential. I guess, it really depends on how far ahead of me it was when it changed lanes.

Quote:
I do it at least twice every dry day on my way to/from work. OK, I'm allowed to do so at the biggest part of that road but going 100mph instead of the posted 62mph on other roads wouldn't be good for my licence as well if I got caught.
I commute 130 miles a day on my GSXR so if I didn't have to worry about my license I'd probably be going that fast all the time too, just to shorten my commute time. I guess for me, going that fast is just not a big deal so it just isn't very exciting in-and-of-itself.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #43
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Are you able to remain chill on the hot bikes?
Many times not, like when it gets cold, I'll ride 20 mph over posted just for the rush, to heat myself up so I don't chill. Of course that's dumb with the wind chill factor. My "hot bikes" are anyone that runs.

OTH on youtube you see asian hoardes commuting on bikes and it's just a transport mode like driving a corolla. Of course their jobs are making our home electronics, clothes, toys, etc. so there's no rush to get in early, lol.

Seth650 screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 07:42 AM
Seth650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #44
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If you're going to go that fast I would suggest investing in some suspension parts.
[...]
I learned that lesson after my very first race.
But I don't race. I don't need to find that last split second. There are more rewarding things to buy.

Quote:
Seriously, if you're doing 160 and a lorry pulls into your lane at the speed limit of say 60mph. That's a 100mph speed differential. I guess, it really depends on how far ahead of me it was when it changed lanes.
As I said in my example, 150m.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #45
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
But I don't race. I don't need to find that last split second. There are more rewarding things to buy.
I would suggest that if you want to take your bike up to those speeds, good suspension is worth every penny you put into it. If you don't push your bike that hard it isn't an issue. If you're on the street at those speeds wrestling with your bike you're in big trouble. You only have so much attention span and if you are using it to control your wayward bike you aren't using it to pay attention to what's going on in front of you. On the street, you may not be looking for a second for a faster lap time but you might be looking for that second when that lorry pulls into your lane.

If your bike is wallowing around and you slam on your brakes to avoid something at 100+mph(or less for that matter) you are going to end up on your head. Simple as that. Remember that if your bike is misbehaving at 140 it's on the verge of misbehaving long before that. That kind of thing doesn't just turn on and off.