Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 09:48 AM   #46
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,048
It worked very well the last 30k miles the way it is, without wrestling. This summer a headset change is in order. Maybe that helps a bit as well. But everything up to 120mph really is a no-brainer.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #47
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
But I don't race. I don't need to find that last split second. There are more rewarding things to buy.
Perhaps you should take up racing. On a track you could show off how good you really are.

As it is you come across a young blowhard, without the credentials to give any credence to the nonsense you propound. Credibility don't come from owning a boated motor bicycle that is capable of high speed on an autobahn.

I notice you have given up on "defending" yourself on the low power riders & high power riders (sic) thread you started. Lost that battle, did you?
Old 03-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #48
TheRoss
IBA, BMWMOA

Oddometer: 312
TheRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #49
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
Perhaps you should take up racing. On a track you could show off how good you really are.

As it is you come across a young blowhard, without the credentials to give any credence to the nonsense you propound. Credibility don't come from owning a boated motor bicycle that is capable of high speed on an autobahn.

I notice you have given up on "defending" yourself on the low power riders & high power riders (sic) thread you started. Lost that battle, did you?
So, how do you pronounce Phuket?
Old 03-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #50
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
i am sort of opposite end of the spectrum so far as experience on a motorcycle. i have just a weeks worth of riding a "hot" bike. if thats what an FZ6 is? it would seem to get up to speed quickly. not supersport quick, but as said i haven't any other experience except with scooters. and like OP i ride those "fast" but its not really fast at all

i doubt i'll ever take it much above 100mph on an open empty stretch. 80-90mph on the local freeways, tops. and 80 sounds like a good "fast lane" speed to me

however just riding some stretches today i do understand the dilemma for some who like easy speed. i was a little surprised today at how the bike has as much power as you want right when you want it. at 70mph it doesn't feel like you're going fast. approaching 80mph felt easy. not like i imagined before i started riding a few years ago, and much more stable then my small wheel scooters at 60mph. which are stable at that speed. but obviously the MC feels more planted, and just as much at any speed. so more speed is friendly to get to, i would think. lots of it

today while riding the streets and moving out front of traffic i just remembered to keep looking down occasionally. one good burst of throttle to split past some cars and easing off the throttle soon after is most likely a good idea because i would think i could find myself at 60mph on a busy city street faster then i'd like

i'm gonna keep looking at the speedo. i think i can control myself
Old 03-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #51
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I never really understood the top speed fascination. I raced professionally for a number of years and to be honest 120 doesn't look a whole lot different than 160, it just changes the braking markers a bit. From personal experience, crashing at 140mph does have an increased pucker factor over say 60mph but in reality, any monkey can get on a bike and ride 140+mph so what's the point.
You can have way more fun and adrenalin rushes cranking through the corners at 60-70mph. If you have a need for speed get on a race track or head to Bonneville.
I had my worst crash in a race only doing about 80. Shatterd my left wrist. I had 2 get offs at around 130 - 140 and didn't suffer much of anything.

The worst bike crash I ever had, I was doing 0 mph. Sitting at a stop light and a drunk ran me over from behind.

You're right, 120, 140, or even 160 really don't feel any different, 170 is where it starts to fell a bit edgy, 180 and you really get the sphincter pucker. Only did it once, just to see how it felt. Never really had the desire to do it again.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #52
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
ภูเก็ต

Where the 230,000 odd registered motorcycles outnumber cars by about three to one. 95% of them are eighth litre or smaller, with a top speed of 65 - 70 mph……. more than enough for local roads and traffic on an island that is about 30 miles north to south and 12 miles east to west.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:20 PM   #53
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I had my worst crash in a race only doing about 80. Shatterd my left wrist. I had 2 get offs at around 130 - 140 and didn't suffer much of anything.

The worst bike crash I ever had, I was doing 0 mph. Sitting at a stop light and a drunk ran me over from behind.

You're right, 120, 140, or even 160 really don't feel any different, 170 is where it starts to fell a bit edgy, 180 and you really get the sphincter pucker. Only did it once, just to see how it felt. Never really had the desire to do it again.
I have topped out a modified ZX10R and a heavily modified FZR1000. Long open stretches of the desert are conducive to runs like that. The highest number recorded on the speedo of the ZX10 was 189mph(electronically limited) and the heavily worked FZR was 192mph.

Tunnel vision was the main sensation both times.

I think the going fast bit with the fast(er) bike is just the initial shake down. Feeling what it can do and having a little fun.

When I took the bike out two days ago I was cruising at extralegal speeds and it dawned on me to stay out of the danger zone for tickets. I have not earned a ticket in 7 years now. This coming from someone with over 40 citations to his credit.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #54
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Poo ket
Old 03-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #55
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
I've never broken a bone crashing a motorcycle (amazingly enough). My one 140+/- get off was at Willow Springs and I ended up with the bike laying on top of me. I suffered a small burn from the exhaust. The corner worker came running over and the first thing out of his mouth was "damn, that was a bitchin' crash, wish I had my camera!"

Quote:
I've probably been upwards of 180 on the track but I really don't know because my race bikes don't have a speedo and on the street I rarely look at it.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #56
brianwheelies OP
Iron toocus

Tracks do have their purpose. You can have your get-off and walk away. Mine was at Spring Mountain Motorsports Park with knee down at around 100mph and the front tire of the GSXR600 said adios traction! I walked it off with a small bruise on my side. The worst part is the bike wasn't mine! $$$
Old 03-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #57
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
I'm new. Coming up on 6000 miles and 6 months.

I dove straight in and got an 1150GS. Much to the dismay of many "pros" on this board...surely I'd kill myself in the first 100 miles. Personally, while the GS is no rocket, I found it very easy to keep things at a proper speed. Again, the GS is not fast, but in motos vs cars (especially the cars I drive)...the motorcycles have more potential for acceleration and speed. On a motorcycle, I have become very conscious of things going on...from the road, to the bike, to myself...theres no one to blame, but you.

Me, I hear people say things like, "I like to wring out a smaller motor...its more fun." and cringe. I work on cars, I pay for stuff out of my own pocket...and I build/tune motors. Engines are not meant to operate at their RPM limit for med-long periods of time (hence rev limiters). I just think of the heat, pressure, and wear on all those sliding surfaces as the RPMs climb. As someone who relies on his machines to make a living...I want to know they will start up and get me home every time.

I also keep in mind, at speed, when things go wrong...they go really wrong really fast. Be it engine damage, a seized drive shaft, or a flat tire...there will not be time to save things at high speed.

Keeping these things in mind has kept me out of trouble when having a liter bike as noob. You sound like you have considerably more experience than I, so I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.
Piston speed has a lot more to do with engine durability than crankshaft speed.

For instance:

A 500cc Ninja has a stroke of 58mm and a redline of 11,000 rpm. It is well known in the Ex500 community that the big ends of the rods start to open up right at 11k. The piston speed for the ninja is just shy of 70 feet per second at 11,000 rpm.

The KLR's piston speed at 7500 rpm is about 68 feet per second.

However, the little 250 Ninja has a piston speed of 63 FPS - at it's 14,000 rpm redline. The stroke is only 41mm.

And just for fun, the traxxas 2.5R engine on my old Revo has a stroke of 12mm, and a top speed of 50,000 rpm. Giving it a piston speed of 65 feet per second. This is a 2.5cc engine, and it makes 1.5 horsepower. Sounds like a weedeater on meth.
Tinker1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #58
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
First, I don't feel the need to show off or to prove myself to someone or to step into competition or things like that. I just enjoy riding. Dunno if you and the others will understand that attitude some day.
Second, I really don't want to spend that much extra money to ride in such a dangerous way as racing.

Quote:
I notice you have given up on "defending" yourself on the low power riders & high power riders thread you started.
First, you're obviously very bad in noticing things, because
Second, one can not "give up" something one never did.
Third, as with most threads there isn't any more posting going on after some time. I won't post once a week without any answers just for you to "notice" something that isn't there to notice.

Quote:
I can agree partly here. For me it was at ~170mph as well when I had to force myself to stay on the throttle. Was always fun when the needle went through the 300kph (188mph) mark, jumped wildly around a bit and came to rest at ~20mph again.
Hopefully I will again have a bike that is capable of this before I'm too old to enjoy that at least once a week.
It's a shame that most of us don't have the money when they are in the age to enjoy life most and are out of that age when they have the money to do so.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #59
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post

I can agree partly here. For me it was at ~170mph as well when I had to force myself to stay on the throttle. Was always fun when the needle went through the 300kph (188mph) mark, jumped wildly around a bit and came to rest at ~20mph again.
Hopefully I will again have a bike that is capable of this before I'm too old to enjoy that at least once a week.
It's a shame that most of us don't have the money when they are in the age to enjoy life most and are out of that age when they have the money to do so.
That moose of yours tops out at about 170 MPH or 273 KPH.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:56 AM   #60
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
That moose of yours tops out at about 170 MPH or 273 KPH.
The moose tops out at about 104mph / 167kph. (But the family's W168 is not mine.)
My beautiful bike whom I lovingly call Boomer is electronically restricted to 156mph / 250kph. (Tach stating 268kph)

As always you're not well informed.