Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 07:07 AM   #61
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Second, I really don't want to spend that much extra money to ride in such a dangerous way as racing...
Racing isn't nearly as dangerous as you may think. Way back while I was in college, I did a research paper on how dangerous various forms of racing were. It was quite surprising. My paper was restricted to deaths not injuries. Motorcycle roadracing had the second fewest deaths per thousand participants next to drag racing (something like .4 deaths per thousand). If you want a "dangerous" form of racing get in a boat or on a horse (almost 15 deaths per thousand).

I'm 50+ right now and have raced in one form or another my whole life. While I don't even remember how many times I've crashed, I've never even broken a bone crashing a motorcycle. In fact, I've hurt myself worse racing (crashing) my bicycle!
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 AM   #62
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Eh?

Quote:
The moose tops out at about 104mph / 167kph. (But the family's W168 is not mine.)
My beautiful bike whom I lovingly call Boomer is electronically restricted to 156mph / 250kph. (Tach stating 268kph)

As always you're not well informed.
How many RPM's does your speedometer say when your TACH says 268 KPH? And I'm not informed? Your info's not from this planet.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:10 AM   #63
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
After years of dirtbikes, I recently sold my highly trail modified 2011 CRF450R and bought an FZ-09.

I stopped riding streetbikes in the 90's after losing my brother to a motorcycle accident. But not just my brother, I have lost many many friends and this caused me to just dirt it.

But, my dirt exploits started getting kinda crazy, doing crazy shet way too fast up on mountains by myself. I started coming home, sitting in the recliner and shaking my head, lucky that I didn't land a jump wrong or wipe out and fall off that cliff that I had wheelied across the top off, never to be found.

Normal riding conditions on the FZ-09 feel safer, well, except for the cars.
I wear alot better gear on the street, Motoport Stretch Kevlar is on the way and I'm trading in my dualsport helmet for a snell rated street model.

I think the secret to surviving on the street is just developing good habits, no matter what bike you ride.

I did just take out a $500,000 life insurance policy though.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #64
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Poo ket
Killjoy…… he was having fun pronouncing it another way!

Quote:
First, I don't feel the need to show off or to prove myself to someone or to step into competition or things like that. I just enjoy riding. Dunno if you and the others will understand that attitude some day.
Second, I really don't want to spend that much extra money to ride in such a dangerous way as racing.
Kid, you are doing a good job of showing off your arrogant ignorance on this here forum. Your greatest danger on a track is ego damage when you discover that you are not as good as you think you are….. but you don't want to hear that….. so ………….

Most tracks nowadays are designed to minimise the damage and risk when the inevitable happens from time to time with a bunch of like minded people probing the limits…… it is a pity others cannot benefit from having a prodigy such as yourself among them.

Quote:
First, you're obviously very bad in noticing things, because
Second, one can not "give up" something one never did.
Third, as with most threads there isn't any more posting going on after some time. I won't post once a week without any answers just for you to "notice" something that isn't there to notice.
Dunno what you are on about, any more than you do….. I'm not alone in noticing that.

Quote:
I can agree partly here. For me it was at ~170mph as well when I had to force myself to stay on the throttle. Was always fun when the needle went through the 300kph (188mph) mark, jumped wildly around a bit and came to rest at ~20mph again.
Hopefully I will again have a bike that is capable of this before I'm too old to enjoy that at least once a week.
It's a shame that most of us don't have the money when they are in the age to enjoy life most and are out of that age when they have the money to do so.
The shame is that you have to do this sort of stuff on public roads, at risk to yourself and others.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:42 AM   #65
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
How many RPM's does your speedometer say when your TACH says 268 KPH? And I'm not informed? Your info's not from this planet.
As a member of a German scooter club, I have learned that Germans call speedometers tachometers. I have bought a few rebuilt ones, and they both measured kph.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:56 AM   #66
BushX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
To summarize or make a point, I have always owned slow bikes because of a lack of self control on the faster machines. Now that I have the fastest bike I have owned, the old youthful throttle hand seems to have awakened and a fear for trouble on the horizon lingers.

Are you able to remain chill on the hot bikes?
Take a track day. Or road race school. Or both. I found that once I was able to actually ride my motorcycle to it's limits (and sometimes beyond) in a safe environment, I was no longer thrilled by mediocre speeds on the street. Actually, it ruined street riding for me for a few years, just wasn't enjoyable rolling around at 2/10ths.
BushX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 AM   #67
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,759
Quote:
I have topped out a modified ZX10R and a heavily modified FZR1000. Long open stretches of the desert are conducive to runs like that. The highest number recorded on the speedo of the ZX10 was 189mph(electronically limited) and the heavily worked FZR was 192mph.

Tunnel vision was the main sensation both times.
I got my pretty much stock Busa to 187 on the GPS. Tunnel vision is exactly what I experienced once I got up over 175.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #68
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I've never broken a bone crashing a motorcycle (amazingly enough). My one 140+/- get off was at Willow Springs and I ended up with the bike laying on top of me. I suffered a small burn from the exhaust. The corner worker came running over and the first thing out of his mouth was "damn, that was a bitchin' crash, wish I had my camera!"

I've probably been upwards of 180 on the track but I really don't know because my race bikes don't have a speedo and on the street I rarely look at it.
Crashed once going into turn 1 at Texas World. That was probably close to the 140 mark, just low sided right off into the grass, had a few bumps and bruises. Racing 600's I doubt I ever hit much more then 155-160 on that big straight there at TWS. The rest of the tracks we raced on in the CMRA had much shorter straights.

The crash that shattered my wrist was because I got T boned by another guy. He just choked going into turn 3 ( TWS again) and went straight instead of trying to make the turn and slammed right into it and me. That injury was worse then my broken back in some respects. Took me 8 months before I could ride again because I didn't have the strength to pull in the clutch. I was only out for 5 months with the back injury.

Old 03-10-2014, 05:49 AM   #69
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Quote:
Racing isn't nearly as dangerous as you may think. Way back while I was in college, I did a research paper on how dangerous various forms of racing were. It was quite surprising. My paper was restricted to deaths not injuries. Motorcycle roadracing had the second fewest deaths per thousand participants next to drag racing (something like .4 deaths per thousand). If you want a "dangerous" form of racing get in a boat or on a horse (almost 15 deaths per thousand).

I'm 50+ right now and have raced in one form or another my whole life. While I don't even remember how many times I've crashed, I've never even broken a bone crashing a motorcycle. In fact, I've hurt myself worse racing (crashing) my bicycle!
Whats really amusing is theres like 10 guys that I got into racing with. We all were avid sport bike riders. Most of them stopped riding street bikes once we started racing. A couple of them have started back riding street, now that they've stopped racing, but on tamer types of bikes. I'm like the only one that still rides the same on the street as we all did 12 - 13 years ago.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 AM   #70
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post

i'm gonna keep looking at the speedo.

Distracting. Listen to the revs, feel the vibes.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #71
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,296
Peculiar advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushX View Post
Take a track day. Or road race school. Or both. I found that once I was able to actually ride my motorcycle to it's limits (and sometimes beyond) in a safe environment, I was no longer thrilled by mediocre speeds on the street. Actually, it ruined street riding for me for a few years, just wasn't enjoyable rolling around at 2/10ths.
Learn to ride your bike to its limits in a safe environment so you will go much faster than before and ruin street riding for yourself. Where do I sign up?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #72
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
Quote:
I just bought an older ZX6 a few weeks ago. This is the first sportbike I have ever owned. It hit Craigslist for a reasonable price and I had been looking for a Bandit 1200 or big bore relaxed ergonomic bike. After inspecting I tossed the low offer and rode it home.

I have experience with pretty much every type of bike as I used to be in the industry and whenever yours truly was at the helm of something fast it would be exercised for its intent. I would rip around and a great many bike Ihave top speed tested. Just in my nature to test and observe.

This brings me to my choice in bikes. I used to get into trouble even going fast on slow bikes so that is what I owned. Cruisers and dual sports with the fastest bike being a BMW K1200LT. It was ridden to its limits as well.

To summarize or make a point, I have always owned slow bikes because of a lack of self control on the faster machines. Now that I have the fastest bike I have owned, the old youthful throttle hand seems to have awakened and a fear for trouble on the horizon lingers.

Are you able to remain chill on the hot bikes?
I haven't read all of the responses here, but that won't stop me from sharing my experience anyway.

I remember back in 1984 when I bought a Yamaha RZ-350. It had Kenny Roberts' signature on it and everything. On that bike, you could go slow or you could go fast, but it didn't do well in between. I finally got rid of it, because I was doing the fast thing too often. If figured that I was either going to lose my license or my life if I kept the thing.

Now take something like my current XR650L. It can go slow and it can go medium, but there is no fast. That helps me obey speed limits a bit better.

I've had a couple of M900 Ducati Monsters and a Ducati ST2, that were good at slow, medium, or fast as the need arose. I was mostly able to avoid speeding tickets on those because it was easy enough to ride slow or medium and avoid the fast riding.

I think the problem with the ZX-6, and all 600cc SuperSport motorcycles, is that they don't do medium speeds well, so you have to choose between slow and fast. If you choose fast too often, by revving the motor up into the powerband, you'll be in danger of losing your license before too long.

So that's why I like singles and V-twins that have most of their power in the mid-range and not so much the bikes with the best power up on top.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #73
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Whats really amusing is theres like 10 guys that I got into racing with. We all were avid sport bike riders. Most of them stopped riding street bikes once we started racing. A couple of them have started back riding street, now that they've stopped racing, but on tamer types of bikes. I'm like the only one that still rides the same on the street as we all did 12 - 13 years ago.
Yeah track riding calms me down in public, even if my bikes are still on the sportier end of the spectrum a LOT more ....erm sane. I only actually push on the front end in really tight 1/2nd gear stuff, nothing really fast. Ripping a sweeper in 4th gear isn't likely to happen, the trees/curb/gardrail keep me in check before I rap my wrist back.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #74
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,113
Quote:
Racing isn't nearly as dangerous as you may think.
I think it's very likely to crash when one constantly rides at the limits of himself, not to say physics. You say it yourself, you crashed countless times. I don't want that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
How many RPM's does your speedometer say when your tach says 268 KPH?
9200, my uninformed friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
Kid, you are doing a good job of showing off your arrogant ignorance on this here forum. Your greatest danger on a track is ego damage when you discover that you are not as good as you think you are
Since I am quite down-to-earth with my self-evaluation, that is very unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
The shame is that you have to do this sort of stuff on public roads, at risk to yourself and others.
In my opinion, to be allowed to do this sort of stuff on public roads, being provided with conditions under which doing that stuff doesn't put someone at risk, is something we, as a nation, can be proud of.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #75
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
I think it's very likely to crash when one constantly rides at the limits of himself, not to say physics. You say it yourself, you crashed countless times. I don't want that...
I've crashed 4 times on the race track. The rest were on the street. The street is significantly more dangerous than the racetrack. That comparison isn't even close. If you think it's safer to go 180mph in traffic on public roads than it is on the racetrack you are deluding yourself.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote