Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 09:38 AM   #91
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Now that I have some more miles on the ZX6 I know that the initial speeding on the bike is over with. I have settled back into mature riderdom. I do the the occasional zip here or there but there is no need to degraduate in motorcycle capabilities due to lack of self control.

Edit: in addition, riding fast on the street going through the twisty bits is no longer comfortable. I used to do track days and pushing the limits reached its max there. Just can't trust the uncontrollable variables anymore. Age and a baby on the way have really siphoned off the aggressive road riding.
That's good to hear.

I had a 2004 ZX6R (636) in my early 30's, and had no self control. I won the bike at the Kawasaki display raffle at MotoGP. My previous bike was an '83 Honda XL185 dual sport, so the jump was too big. I didn't even have real riding gear, and would take it over 140 mph at least once a week, and had it to 151 on a fresh stretch of asphalt once. My wife would stand in the driveway crying every time I left on it, so I promised to keep it only one year. By the end of that time, I was comfortable enough with it that I was doing 125 through town traffic every day. I had numerous close calls, and barely escaped with my life.

I sold it, and bought an '83 XL600, which I converted to supermoto and flogged for the next 10 years. I learned a lot on that bike, and now ride a 750 v-twin supermoto with a top speed in the low 120's. I still love to flog it, but not in traffic. It would be nice if it were lighter, but otherwise the bike is a great fit for my poor self control, even in my 40's.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:21 PM   #92
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Then it's not easy...
It's quite easy to go fast. Just turn the throttle. It's when things get in your way that it gets more complicated.

Quote:
But you crashed. How huge was the damage?
I've never totaled a bike on the race track. My high speed get-off resulted in a damaged gas tank. I got the bike up and running before my next practice session. I wasn't rich those first years so I raced with a dented gas tank and some scuffed up plastic. Here is a pic of it the afternoon after the crash, you can see the dent in the tank.
Homey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #93
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
It's quite easy to go fast. Just turn the throttle. It's when things get in your way that it gets more complicated.
Where did you say tend things to get in your way? On public roads or on the race track?

Quote:
I've never totaled a bike on the race track. My high speed get-off resulted in a damaged gas tank. I got the bike up and running before my next practice session. I wasn't rich those first years so I raced with a dented gas tank and some scuffed up plastic.
Lucky you. Still, broken plastics and a bend tank can easily cost a few thousand euros/dollars.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #94
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 1,952
Quote:
Where did you say tend things to get in your way? On public roads or on the race track?

Lucky you. Still, broken plastics and a bend tank can easily cost a few thousand euros/dollars.
You said the cab got in your way. That's what he was talking about.

A race bike is designed to crash well. Rear sets, clipons, and sliders are all cheap and replaceable. And race bodywork is built different, and more repairable than street stuff, that's the beauty of it.
Besides, race bikes should NEVER be pretty. Pavement magnets.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:27 PM   #95
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

I've never had anything get in my way on the race track.

You can replace tanks and plastic way cheaper than that. I bought three brand new gas tanks at an auction for $50 each and you can often get body panels at the junk yard for not too many $$.

As chippertheripper said, "race bikes should NEVER be pretty" I take all the new stuff, and anything I don't want to replace, off the bike and keep it at home and run the second hand "beauty" parts at the track. I did that anyway, until I got good enough to ride someone else's stuff. That's really the best way to do it.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:13 AM   #96
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

So it's even worse. In addition to the track fees I would have to buy and modify a second bike.
Sorry guys, I'll stay on the non-crashy side.
Old 03-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #97
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,738
Quote:
So it's even worse. In addition to the track fees I would have to buy and modify a second bike.
Stock bikes work just fine, you aren't close to fast enough to need anything more than tires.

No one is at first.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:28 PM   #98
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,423
Quote:
I've never had anything get in my way on the race track.
I had this big ass tarantula once get in my way on a track. Scared the bejeebus outta me. Kinda arachnaphobic. It made it's way across the turn by the time I'd done 3 laps.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #99
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,423
Quote:
Bummer not having money to afford the finer things in life. Don't know what you're missing.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:48 PM   #100
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Don't know where you got the idea you "need" two bikes. I have ten of them, don't necessarily need them. When I started racing I had one motorcycle. It was my main form of transportation off the track too. You're just making excuses.
It's fine if you don't want to race, or even do non-competitive track days but don't delude yourself into thinking it's safer to go race speeds on public roads. Even if it is the autobahn.
Seriously, you need a cheaper hobby or a better job.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #101
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Bummer not having money to afford the finer things in life. Don't know what you're missing.
But he can afford a lardy great VFR, and go for the occasional full throttle autobahn buzz when he has pocket-money spare to pay for a tank of gas..

Many kids living at home with the 'rents slum it on a moped….. on which they develop some real skills, and probably get more enjoyment to boot.

Many here have been there, done that with behemoths. There is far more to enjoy about motorcycling than big bikes and high speed.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:20 AM   #102
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Stock bikes work just fine, you aren't close to fast enough to need anything more than tires.

No one is at first.
But I was just told I need a race specific bike to lower the repair costs of my crashes?

Quote:
Don't know where you got the idea you "need" two bikes. I have ten of them, don't necessarily need them. When I started racing I had one motorcycle. It was my main form of transportation off the track too.
But if I used my main form of transportation and recreation for crash-inducing riding, it would be very expensive. So either I pay that heavy costs for repairs or I buy a second bike - or I just don't do that crashy things and stick to what I am enjoying now.
I will visit a track at some time, that's sure, just to have it done, but I won't push it to the limits. I'll play it save, as I do on the road.