ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 05:13 AM   #16
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 1,741
Sorry for the threadjack

While dirtbiking/dualsporting, Ive met both cool horse people and what I felt were jackass horse people.
I believe the majority of pissed off horse people were really just embarressed that they didnt have better control over their animals.

(For the record I like horses and always come to a stop and kill my engine when I encounter a horse on the trail)



Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
Unfortunately for you, horses have the legal right of way in many states.

While I will be the first to admit that many "horse people" are uppity, and unpleasant, the fact remains that they have the right of way, and you'd best go out of your way to not frighten an animal on the road - you can be held liable.

I say all this as someone that has worked animals, on public roads. I have as much right to be on the road with a horse or ox, as I have to be there with a motorcycle - more, in fact as it is a right, rather than a privilege to use the roads with a working animal.
Bucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #17
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.
 
Megamoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: You know...I think I've been here before.
Oddometer: 2,797
In keeping with the off topic

Toxic Horsey Chicks.







__________________
Guerrilla Moto diplomacy.
Higher level simians as ambassadors of vroom to skewer ignorance and amalgamate ideas globally.

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
khager
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Granbury, TX
Oddometer: 781
Now I could see myself riding that!
khager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:07 PM   #19
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 1,741
Id have a few of those in the stable if they were cheaper to maintain.
Bucho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #20
it happens
sh it happens
 
it happens's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Id have a few of those in the stable if they were cheaper to maintain.
You could always eat it if things got tough.
it happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #21
tapdiggy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tapdiggy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by it happens View Post
You could always eat it if things got tough.
__________________
My riding shoes are Adidas. Boom
tapdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:41 AM   #22
Garp
Beastly Adventurer
 
Garp's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Newtown, CT
Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
I some of us were talking about the horse, others about the rider....
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #23
Beez
Given to fly
 
Beez's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Framingham, MA
Oddometer: 5,743
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twist...igh-viz-yellow
Beez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #24
VTphoneman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
VTphoneman's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: New Hampster
Oddometer: 164

Need!!! I'd wear it at work.
VTphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #25
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous
 
bwringer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Indianapolis
Oddometer: 2,077
Back in 2010 here in Indy, a drunk asshole cop killed a rider and seriously injured two others. Some other cops "lost" or "mishandled" some critical evidence against him, kicking off a three year shitshow. Anyway, he's in prison now, a few shithead cops resigned, whatever.

So some local wags created a version of this fluorescent shirt that read:

CAN YOU
SEE ME NOW,
OFFICER?

You still see them around once in a while.

Yes, it's pretty goddamn stupid to ride in only a t-shirt and no helmet, but that's what a lot of people do in the midwest. Even the motor cops wear polyester short-sleeve shirts and wee plastic beanies.
__________________
1983 Suzuki GS850G, Cosmic Blue
2002 Suzuki Vstrom DL1000, Midnight Blue
2005 Kawasaki KLR685 - Turd II.2, The ReReTurdening
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:27 AM   #26
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Heidiland
Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
Unfortunately for you, horses have the legal right of way in many states.

While I will be the first to admit that many "horse people" are uppity, and unpleasant, the fact remains that they have the right of way, and you'd best go out of your way to not frighten an animal on the road - you can be held liable.

I say all this as someone that has worked animals, on public roads. I have as much right to be on the road with a horse or ox, as I have to be there with a motorcycle - more, in fact as it is a right, rather than a privilege to use the roads with a working animal.
Since this thread is about a T-Shirt and all has been said about it - Who rather pays for the roads to be built with their taxes - motorists or horses?

Talk about privilege when using infrastructure paid for by others...

On a related note - who shits on the road and just lets it sit there? Hereabouts another thing comes into play: Who is allowed only on roads and nowhere else, and who can go anywhere they damn please?
__________________
I think there might be a more scenic route somewhere...
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:58 AM   #27
JonU
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: El Paso, TX
Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
Since this thread is about a T-Shirt and all has been said about it - Who rather pays for the roads to be built with their taxes - motorists or horses?

Talk about privilege when using infrastructure paid for by others...

On a related note - who shits on the road and just lets it sit there? Hereabouts another thing comes into play: Who is allowed only on roads and nowhere else, and who can go anywhere they damn please?
I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that most people who own horses also own a truck and probably a horse trailer. So that argument about using infrastructure paid for by others is an invalid point.

JonU screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 06:23 AM
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #28
blackvans1234
Talking to myself...
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Dutchess County New York!
Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post

who shits on the road and just lets it sit there?

Hey man, when you gotta go you gotta go.
__________________
Unemployed RN, take your 'nursing shortage' and go get a colonoscopy with it.
blackvans1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #29
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
Draft animals pre-date automobiles, and the road systems were built for use by draft animals.

Given the fact that the law in many states gives draft animals the right of way over a motorized vehicle (in part, because those guys that grow food and stuff kinda use draft animals sometimes...) it really doesn't matter who pays taxes for what, but, if we want to get really picky, local property taxes are what covers road maintainance on non-state highways. Given that in rural areas, the farmers own the land, while they don't pay a registration fee on the horse annually, they pay the property taxes in that area, to maintain the roads they use.

Your argument is based on a wrong understanding of road funding, and a fundamentally twisted understanding of the purpose of the road systems.
About the only place horses are used for farm work and cartage is in areas with Amish residents. Compared to farm machinery and motor vehicles, horses aren't profitable, and most farms are commercial enterprises that need to make a profit to exist. Commercial agriculture pays the property taxes in almost all cases. Outside of ranching, most of the horse owners are hobbyists.

A bigger concern is going to be the collection of road taxes on electric and hybrid vehicles. They need to pay their own way. I'm thinking of a sealed Kwh meter in the external charging circuit.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #30
Tuna Helper
Rawrr!
 
Tuna Helper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Red Five standing by
Oddometer: 712
I've got one of those shire in orange. I'd wear it more if it didn't say asshole on it.
Tuna Helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014