Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 AM   #31
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
Draft animals pre-date automobiles, and the road systems were built for use by draft animals.

Given the fact that the law in many states gives draft animals the right of way over a motorized vehicle (in part, because those guys that grow food and stuff kinda use draft animals sometimes...) it really doesn't matter who pays taxes for what, but, if we want to get really picky, local property taxes are what covers road maintainance on non-state highways. Given that in rural areas, the farmers own the land, while they don't pay a registration fee on the horse annually, they pay the property taxes in that area, to maintain the roads they use.

Your argument is based on a wrong understanding of road funding, and a fundamentally twisted understanding of the purpose of the road systems.
So you are telling me that in the 21st century the road system (paved for purely for aesthetic reasons, I am sure) is still primarily there for horses and not motorized vehicles. I didn't know that, but am only somewhat surprised

If we stay at the funding part, how many percent of road funding actually comes from people who own or ride horses, even in rural areas? A wild guess would be not a lot.

All I am saying is that riding a horse on a public road is a privilege and should be considered as such. Of course I firmly believe that other road users should be considerate when encountering animals, but that should go without saying. Also, use those damn horse diapers!
Old 03-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #32
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Helper View Post
I've got one of those shire in orange. I'd wear it more if it didn't say asshole on it.
There is a version with everything but A-Hole on it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAN-YOU-SEE-...item2ecf2e60fe
Old 03-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #33
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,184
squids are funny
Old 03-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #34
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
So you are telling me that in the 21st century the road system (paved for purely for aesthetic reasons, I am sure) is still primarily there for horses and not motorized vehicles. I didn't know that, but am only somewhat surprised

If we stay at the funding part, how many percent of road funding actually comes from people who own or ride horses, even in rural areas? A wild guess would be not a lot.

All I am saying is that riding a horse on a public road is a privilege and should be considered as such. Of course I firmly believe that other road users should be considerate when encountering animals, but that should go without saying. Also, use those damn horse diapers!
And all we are saying is that the horse owners pay taxes to fund the roads too. You talk as if horse owners are exempt from taxes. They still pay taxes just like the rest of us and your "right" to use the roads with your motorcycle/car/truck/whatever else is really the same privilege that your horse owners exercise. I'm pretty sure if you broke it down by percentage, they pay the same percentage as you since it is covered by taxes.
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #35
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrifter View Post
Unfortunately for you, horses have the legal right of way in many states.

While I will be the first to admit that many "horse people" are uppity, and unpleasant, the fact remains that they have the right of way, and you'd best go out of your way to not frighten an animal on the road - you can be held liable.

I say all this as someone that has worked animals, on public roads. I have as much right to be on the road with a horse or ox, as I have to be there with a motorcycle - more, in fact as it is a right, rather than a privilege to use the roads with a working animal.
Not that this really relates to the topic, but this post just gave me a flashback to riding a rented Africa Twin through some lovely mountain roads outside of Chiang Mai when I came around a corner to find a guy riding an elephant in my lane.

Wasn't expecting that.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:24 PM   #36
tapdiggy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
A token attempt to pull it on track, though the horse argument is entertaining

Hey, ya, haha, that shirt is funny.

Hey, how is there no thread strictly for trashing on horses? I'd read that
Old 03-16-2014, 08:06 PM   #37
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
Hey, ya, haha, that shirt is funny.

Hey, how is there no thread strictly for trashing on horses? I'd read that
There probably is in the BASEMENT!!
Old 03-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #38
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
Not that this really relates to the topic, but this post just gave me a flashback to riding a rented Africa Twin through some lovely mountain roads outside of Chiang Mai when I came around a corner to find a guy riding an elephant in my lane.

Wasn't expecting that.
LOL... I was there on a d-tracker and rounded the corner to find several water buffalo walking around in the road. They were not about to get in any hurry on my account. I went around them, very cautiosly, while they acted like I wasn't there. I'm sure they are well used to having motor bikes close by.
aterry1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #39
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 107
Saw a guy in the infield at Daytona wearing that same shirt, along with color matching pants.

I think they had the desired effect. Very hard to NOT see him.

I just ordered the version minus Asshole.
Old 03-22-2014, 07:15 AM   #40
Telemarktumalo
Coffee Achiever

Oddometer: 203
Ironhorse

This is in Addis Ababa. Not unusual to be flying down a 6 lane highway and encounter a herd of cattle and goats, families walking, bicycles, etc. It seems absolute lunacy to a westerner, but it is expected there in a 3rd world culture. In the US, we seem to think that our elaborate highway system was built just for "me, me, me!". True character seems to surface when people get behind the wheel of a car or truck, and then have to alter their path or speed to accommodate others. Share the road!

Telemarktumalo is offline   Reply With Quote