Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 06:05 AM   #31
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Dang it's been a long cold Winter.

Sure it matters. Ya gotta have attitude.

:)

--Bill
not cold enuf, I wanted to set a new personal low riding temperature
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #32
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe2815 View Post
LOL if you are going to take everything you read in here to heart you will never get on a bike again.

Dead set some of the garbage i have read in here makes me want to laugh , cry and scream all at the same time.

I'm suprised some blokes even manage to get out and enjoy their bikes. After dressing in eleventynine hundred layers of protective clothing and completing a pre ride check that would put NASA's pre flight checks to shame
Once they finally manage to leave the driveway they seem to need to be in such a heightened state of awarness / panic / defence mode that there is no way they can be enjoying themselves.

One finger covering the brakes a couple more covering the clutch, ensuring that their GO Pro is working so they can record the accident that they are certain is about to happen to them.

Slowing down to 10 mph because the wind just came up and may have blown dust particles onto the road.

Slowing to walking pace in the area that they saw a goat cross the road 6 years ago.

Pulling into a carpark every 12 kilometeres to practice their emergency braking.

Fuckem and feed em beans. Ride what you want and how you want. And then if you still want advice intersperesed with 74 pages of argy bargy from old blokes with sand in their vaginas come in here and ask away.

What he said.

-dod
Old 03-08-2014, 08:45 AM   #33
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
When I was younger I used to ride very aggressively using the athleticism and nimbleness of my machine to slice and dice traffic, corners, you name it. People were always pulling out in front of me or cutting me off. I took it all personally like the world was out to get me and the only way to survive was to rise to the occasion and fight my way through.

This was until 27 or 28 years old. The expensive tickets finally sunk in and the hormones were starting to chill and the most amazing thing happened. I slowed down and begun to relax. Still paying attention to possible death scenarios but rolling with the pack instead of always trying to be first or get to an opening and be all alone. Wouldn't you believe it, people stopped cutting me off and pulling out because they actually had time to see me and I now had plenty of time to react and adjust comfortably.

Maybe you are still young and full of piss and vinegar? Attitude is everything.
+1. Guys who enjoy blasting through traffic and are so pissed that every car is out to get them,are unable to see they're trying to kill themselves.

Expecting ABS to save the day is the new thing,if ABS is perceived as pulling you out of one scrape after another,your going too fast for conditions,or not watching whats coming up.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #34
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 873
Wtf are you going on about op?
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 PM   #35
Colorado_Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Perfect line is full of people looking for a fight. Don't expect to start a thread here unless you are looking to start a fight. That may not be your intention but that is what will happen.

Any of the following topics are guaranteed to end in a fight:

ATTGATT
OIL
CAR TIRES
MOTORCYCLE TIRES
COUNTERSTEERING
LANE SPLITTING
CROSSING THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINE
SPEEDING
HIGH VIS GEAR
HARLEYS
SPORTBIKES
BMW'S
KNEE DRAGGING
RIDING

Did I miss anything?
WD40 and Seafoam, maintenance, pretty much anything motorcycle related when you think about it.
Colorado_Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #36
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe2815 View Post
LOL if you are going to take everything you read in here to heart you will never get on a bike again.

Dead set some of the garbage i have read in here makes me want to laugh , cry and scream all at the same time.

I'm suprised some blokes even manage to get out and enjoy their bikes. After dressing in eleventynine hundred layers of protective clothing and completing a pre ride check that would put NASA's pre flight checks to shame
Once they finally manage to leave the driveway they seem to need to be in such a heightened state of awarness / panic / defence mode that there is no way they can be enjoying themselves.

One finger covering the brakes a couple more covering the clutch, ensuring that their GO Pro is working so they can record the accident that they are certain is about to happen to them.

Slowing down to 10 mph because the wind just came up and may have blown dust particles onto the road.

Slowing to walking pace in the area that they saw a goat cross the road 6 years ago.

Pulling into a carpark every 12 kilometeres to practice their emergency braking.

Fuckem and feed em beans. Ride what you want and how you want. And then if you still want advice intersperesed with 74 pages of argy bargy from old blokes with sand in their vaginas come in here and ask away.

Crowe... you just described every GS/Sport touring rider in my area to a T

Sorry to any other GS riders out there....that's the archtype in this neck of the woods
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #37
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 695
But to the OP...Fuck 'em bro. Just ride and let Douchebags be Douchebags. As some have said, the car will always win....Don't get me wrong...I feel ya when it comes to drivers pulling dick moves and I have done my fair share of telling them how I feel about it...but at the end of the day it ain't worht the aggrivation most of the time and personally I feel drained and a bit out of sorts after a blow out with a cager...bad mood territory, which kinda defeats the purpose of riding in the first place.
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #38
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
WD40 and Seafoam, maintenance, pretty much anything motorcycle related when you think about it.
Is there controversy over Marvel Mystery Oil?
Old 03-14-2014, 09:13 AM   #39
OrangeYZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Perfect line is full of people looking for a fight. Don't expect to start a thread here unless you are looking to start a fight. That may not be your intention but that is what will happen.

ATTGATT
OIL
CAR TIRES
MOTORCYCLE TIRES
COUNTERSTEERING
LANE SPLITTING
SPEEDING
HIGH VIS GEAR
HARLEYS
SPORTBIKES
BMW'S
KNEE DRAGGING
RIDING

Did I miss anything?
Why can't Japan make a bike as good as Europe?
Why can't Europe make a bike as good as Japan?
OrangeYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #40
DougFromKentucky
Just a good 'ole boy

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogbone View Post
Just to put a direct answer to your musing:

I started out on sportbikes; started riding in Vermont (excellent roads, very little traffic, zero riding season) and was a complete squid. I knew how to twist the throttle and hang on for the ride.

Moved and learned a great deal about accident avoidance and angry drivers in the Boston and Providence areas. I was still a squid, with the only piece of gear I regularly wore being a helmet. I, too, removed many a mirror during that time.

Fast forward to today (some 16 years later) and I can tell you that many of the situations you will find yourself mired in (such as you described) are a result of your inexperience. No, I am not saying it is your fault a driver a tried to kill you. What I am saying is, that as your experience grows, you will develop the ability to analyze situations on the road, predict the possible outcomes, and better avoid putting yourself in potentially dangerous situations.

Also, this is VERY important to make part of your mantra, "Cars ALWAYS win." It's a 4-5Klb vehicle vs your ~600lbs. No way any confrontation is coming out in your favor (short of you ripping a mirror and running ,) so without disrespecting you, stow your ego and learn to let things go; the majority of people are not intentionally trying to kill us, they're just oblivious. It will be better for you longevity if you take that to heart.

I mean all this in the most positive manner, just my $.02
Oh, and one more thing. Don't forget to bring your pistol in case all other measures fail.

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:46 AM   #41
TheProphet
Zen Rider

Oddometer: 281
Talking

ATTGATT
OIL
CAR TIRES
MOTORCYCLE TIRES
COUNTERSTEERING
LANE SPLITTING
SPEEDING
HIGH VIS GEAR
HARLEYS
SPORTBIKES
BMW'S
KNEE DRAGGING
RIDING

Did I miss anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Is there controversy over Marvel Mystery Oil?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeYZ View Post
Why can't Japan make a bike as good as Europe?
Why can't Europe make a bike as good as Japan?
Oil Filters
Intake Filters
Air Box Modifications / Removal
Bad LEO's
Questions around the "BEST" of... anything?

All good fun
TheProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #42
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
Wow. What a silly thread. OP, get a grip

In all that writing, the OP never did say what his/her riding attitude was.

When posting about breaking off a mirror or something, leaving out pertinent information is sure to turn the crowd against you. "I broke off someone's mirror in traffic" is a lot different than "this guy was trying to kill me, and the only escape route was through his mirror".

The only attitude that matters, when it comes to staying alive, is alertness. Ride however you want, but a laissez-faire attitude is sure to get you killed in SoCal. Since you are still posting, I'll assume that isn't you.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:50 PM   #43
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,236
If you rode more you wouldn't be posting this drivel....

Go WFO!

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #44
DarthJ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
what the hell are you going on about? Wear what you want when you want, I don't care...

Well, no riding naked, at least, lol!
DarthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #45
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Dang it's been a long cold Winter.

Sure it matters. Ya gotta have attitude.

:)

--Bill