Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 10:14 AM   #16
Vandal 62
KCCO

Oddometer: 173
Nothing at all. There is just a difference of opinion with regards to the touratech handguards that are apparently made out of Austrian chocolate. Mine cracked in half after a tumble off road. Junk....
Old 03-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #17
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I have OEM ---> free from the dealer because they were on the bike and I didn't want them exactly and asked them to remove them. I have no complaints really, but I haven't had a hard crash either. When someone backed into my bike it went down pretty hard on asphalt and the right one held up just fine. I am making a larger wind deflector for them out of carbon fiber shortly but that's my only issue. Hard to argue with free.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
bondyzf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I ran touratech hand guards on my tenere, they held up very well

I wouldn't swap the oem beemer hand guards for touratech ones tho as the oem seem very strong
bondyzf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:56 AM   #19
20Fingers OP
MCarrera GS-Giants

Oddometer: 134
Thanks for the replies!

Great to get some feedback on this topic. Plastic Vs is a valid argument. What I have experienced is bent metal, both bars and the handguard; an expensive replacement for OEM. The Touratech's are less expensive, don't imagine they will stop the bars from bending under substantial impact, but at least I wont be replacing both the guards and bars!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #20
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer: 77
All my experience on my F800GS is with OEM BMW handguards. They've been great. I've crashed in challenging offroad and parking lot scenarios at least a dozen times, and the handguards have saved the body plastic 'most' of the time. They definitely soak up a lot of energy upon impact. I've never had any handlebar damage, which I attribute to wonderful energy-absorbing characteristics of the handguards.

A little strange: >90% of my crashes have been on the right side, so the right handguard has suffered a lot. I've bent it back twice, but the most recent crash, which was major, has me in the market for a replacement OEM handguard. Sadly, BMW does not sell the handguards individually. All the individual ones for sale on ebay are left-hand. Does this mean that everyone else is crashing on the right side also??

Also, I choose not to use the plastic wind deflectors. They get damaged too often.
GREWUPIN_D11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #21
ADVer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
The Touratech's also use the original bar ends so are supposed to be less vibey
Old 03-16-2014, 03:06 PM   #22
runnr548
BMW Pilot

Oddometer: 128
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMBLAG View Post
Barkbusters..with the storm plastic

Ditto! Replaced the factory guards on three bikes with BarkBusters & Storm Guards. Could not be happier!
runnr548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #23
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
I switched from the BMW Handguards to the Touratech guards, and I'm much happier. They look better and function better. Even though they are plastic....they are very thick & tough. Like em so much, I put a pair of TT's on my Husky Terra too.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:33 PM   #24
Beairmo
Keeping it real

Oddometer: 150
BMW Handguards

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Fingers View Post
I am considering changing out my (selling) BMW handguards (F800GS-2013) and adopting a set of Touratech guards.

Anyone have suggestions on the Toruatech guards...aside from being only plastic, no metal bracing...but I like this better for re-use after minor impacts...the bars on BMW guards will bend from a minor impact.

Are you saying these handguards bend with a minor impact?

I haven't tested them yet but they sure seem just as sturdy as the Barkbuster Jets on my WR450F. I could see the plastic breaking off but the clutch/brake lever is what I am trying to protect.

"If your going through hell...keep going!
(Winston Churchill)
Beairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 AM   #25
redxblack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
the barkbusters rib (the actual handguard) is beefier than the OEM by quite a lot. They're also cheaper.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #26
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by headstaller View Post
Have you consider Highway Dirt Bike ??
I have these and they have been tested! Front tire washed out going about 35mph. Didn't even move, just some scratches.
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:16 PM   #27
pjtiii
bigger playground

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Fun View Post
I have these and they have been tested! Front tire washed out going about 35mph. Didn't even move, just some scratches.
Have not had to test mine yet but LOVE the HDB guards AND the round mirrors let me get rid of the elephant ears - one less thing to worry about in a drop.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #28
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,461
Laugh

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by loutre View Post
because plastic handguards absorb the energy of the fall and don't bend like metal crash bars which can even cause your handlebar to bend. The thing that is supposed to protect your hands is called gloves not hanguards. Handguards are made to protect from branches and absorb forces of impact; having the side benefit of protecting from weather.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #29
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Hell, if your factory hand guards are already there, in tact, and paid for, why not just run them until they're trashed?

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:43 AM   #30
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
I'm a BIG fan of the Touratech plastic ones. My bike has hit the ground hard more than once on both sides (including at speed ) and no issues. As others have mentioned they flex and absorb the impact and they do it well. I haven't damaged any control levers or the bent the bars...over 3yrs and running.

Previous Acerbis alloy ones I had eventually bent in on a different bike and after seeing a friend bend the OE BMW ones (right where the steel is flattened) and then go to TT's with no problems I was sold. His bike hits the ground even more than mine

I don't disagree about Barkbuster and HBD's (in particular) being very solid but TT's are lighter, work great for me and maybe vibe less. That's my 2c.

Dave