User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 05:49 AM   #1
JohnK OP
El Turco

Oddometer: 237
Considering F800GS

Good morning guys, I am considering a 800gs as my next commuter/ day trips dirt ride. I realized that tires are NOT tubeless. Is that correct? I thought they went tubeless with 2013 redesign. I've seen so many KLR 650 riders suffer, changing tubes in the middle of nowhere when it is 100 outside. It takes long time and not a one man show either. Certainly a serious decision point for me as I often do solo unpaved rides if no one else can join. Are there any tricks when you have a flat on a tubed tyre? such as fix-a-flat??? Plugging kit??? which I used a lot on my 12GS. Either plug the dang thing or Just pump a fixaflat into the tyre ooorrr both and keep on riding or at least get to the nearest town.

past bikes: 10GSADV,09GSADV,0512GS,0415RT,0015GS,9811GS,99F650 ,96SuziGSX650
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
Pstmstr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
tires

You can find several threads on this but long story short, there are kits available you can buy to break the bead, patch the tube (or carry a spare tube), and get you back on the road if you're in the middle of nowhere. I carry this one, http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-98-beadbrakr.aspx Still though, I wish mine had tubeless tires.
Pstmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #3
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Good morning guys, I am considering a 800gs as my next commuter/ day trips dirt ride. I realized that tires are NOT tubeless. Is that correct? I thought they went tubeless with 2013 redesign. I've seen so many KLR 650 riders suffer, changing tubes in the middle of nowhere when it is 100 outside. It takes long time and not a one man show either. Certainly a serious decision point for me as I often do solo unpaved rides if no one else can join. Are there any tricks when you have a flat on a tubed tyre? such as fix-a-flat??? Plugging kit??? which I used a lot on my 12GS. Either plug the dang thing or Just pump a fixaflat into the tyre ooorrr both and keep on riding or at least get to the nearest town.
John..... Non of the tires on any of the 800cc GS are tubeless. You can buy better rims from venders like Woody's, that are tubeless, but it will set you back about 2K. You will be hard pressed to find a stock bike that comes with spoked tubeless, and affordable.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Doesn't the Yamaha tenere come with em? I personally like to suffer a little bit, perhaps I am sick and twisted but it makes me feel more MANLY! If I had 2k I would upgrade though haha
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
Strawdog
Strawdog

Oddometer: 94
I found it easy to deal with tires/tubes on 800GS have change them in parking lots/roads. Was lucky last year in Utah/Colorado was on Back Road routes no flats.

I have bead breaker from Best Rest never use it just side stand on bike.
Strawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
There are ways to convert tubed wheels to tubeless, by sealing the spokes. The second requirement is that the rim have a safety bead to accommodate tubeless tires. The rear wheel does and the front wheel does not. But there are a few 21" rims that have them. The BMW HP2 runs a 21" tubeless rim, but the spokes are connected to the rim using the outer edge of the rim as the connection point.

There are some DIY websites on doing this, but a reputable wheel shop will not do the front without a rim change.

itsatdm screwed with this post 03-08-2014 at 09:30 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
JohnK OP
El Turco

Oddometer: 237
Thank you all for the replies, I think I will wait and save 3-4 more months and put the cash down and finance a 2013 used 1200GSw

I really didn't want to have payments but This tube/tubeless thing is a big deal breaker for me as I do solo rides off the pavement when others cancel and I already have taken the time off from family and work. If I am to invest another $2k on the 800gs, it is almost par with a used 1200gsw

Again thank you all

past bikes: 10GSADV,09GSADV,0512GS,0415RT,0015GS,9811GS,99F650 ,96SuziGSX650
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
The F700gs runs tubeless tires. Not the same, but capable of doing some dirt.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #9
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
What kind of riding do you do that makes you afraid to get a flat? Are you riding just dirt roads and afraid of a nail? Or are you riding over lots of rocks and afraid of pinch flats? I ride solo a lot, and as much as changing or patching a tube sucks, it's never a deterrent. I have yet to get a flat riding, and I only ride dirt and I usually only ride alone.

What would happen if you were riding a tubeless bike and something happened to the tire and it couldn't be patched? The nice thing about tubes, you can carry spares.

Once you learn to change the tube, it becomes easy. I changed my own tires for the first time ever. It sucked, but I learned a lot and now the thought is not scary at all
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,428
I think you have over-inflated the merit differential between tube style and tubeless rims.
The F800gs, as well as the KLR 650 both share cheap, conventional tube-style spoked wheels.

I ( and many others before me ) have made solo adventures MUCH further afield than anything you will find within 3 days hard ride of Austin TX, and haven't suffered undue delays or mechanical problems on account of 'RIMS'.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
I have never had a flat on a trail or off road... only from highway debris, I carry two tubes and all the tools necessary. Even a tubeless tire can take a laceration on the side wall (screwed then). I would never base a decision on tubed vs tubeless tires but that is just me. I can do much more on my 800 than I could on a 12.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 04:44 AM   #12
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,437
I suspect the intended use of the OP's bike will be street only, because the advantage of tube-tires in the wilderness is lost on him while he appreciates the advantage of tube-tires alongside paved roads.

I have pairs of both tube and tubeless rims (Woody) for my F800GS and choose according to my trip plans. What to do if on a tubeless tour and I chance upon a tempting rocky road into the woods? Hey, them's the breaks.

Fred

P.S. Groan! Full Power, I saw that, even if no one else did.
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 801
at a loss

Correct me if I am wrong but F8's in the US get tubed tyres? In Oz they are standard tubeless. I carry a plugger kit and a BestRest pump. I hope I never have to use it in anger.

As for repairing/replacing tubes on the trail it is not really that difficult. Remember to tie the centrestand forward if you are doing a front.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #14
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider 101 View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but F8's in the US get tubed tyres? In Oz they are standard tubeless. I carry a plugger kit and a BestRest pump. I hope I never have to use it in anger.

As for repairing/replacing tubes on the trail it is not really that difficult. Remember to tie the centrestand forward if you are doing a front.
Are you absolutely sure of that. The tires does say tubeless, but the rims on the F8 is spe'ced as tubed rim. That is global.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #15
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,293
I much prefer fixing a tube than a tyre. Have much more confidence in that and you can repair it endlessly. First time it takes an hour and when you are used to it 20min with a beer. I use an "elephant tube" in the rear that has a wall thickness of 4.5mm. With that nothing goes through it especially offroad. Really don't see what all the fuzz is about the tubed tyres. Only bad thing I see is that you can't have the psi sensor for your obc.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote