Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2014, 04:31 AM   #31
Boondox OP
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingtazz View Post
There's no way I'm going to let my gf see this RR.
She's already mentioned a couple of times how nice a Ural would be for her, me and Dexter to all ride together.
I'll just keep this little read all to myself - thanks for sharing!
Any dog who keeps the squirrels under control is a great dog!
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #32
lookaught
Loner Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 196
Great RR!

A friend of mine posted this on instagram a couple years back, look familiar? I *think* it was in Burlington.

Solo Ride Pennsylvania to Anchorage, Alaska and back 2011

Two Ape supermotos take on the Dragon
lookaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #33
Boondox OP
Travels With Barley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookaught View Post
Great RR!

A friend of mine posted this on instagram a couple years back, look familiar? I *think* it was in Burlington.

Kinda looks like Burlington. I'm always amazed at how many photos are taken of us in motion, and how very few I ever see. Thank you for sharing that!
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com

Boondox screwed with this post 03-14-2014 at 03:33 PM Reason: Typo corrected before Klay noticed
Old 03-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #34
Prime Mover
Anything Can Happen

Oddometer: 1,029
This is very cool. Thanks for sharing.
"Better to live alone in the desert than with a nagging wife" - Proverbs 21:19
Prime Mover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:16 AM   #35
Boondox OP
Travels With Barley

HEADING HOME

We packed up most of our things Friday evening; Saturday morning I took a quick shower then broke down the tent and finished loading the bike. We left the fairgrounds around 7am.

Salem is located in a relative arid valley, but there were mountains to the east we had to cross before reaching the vast expanse of desert. I dressed for the desert, and the cold of those mountain heights took me by surprise. It was cold!

Barley, who had been curled up in a ball on his dog bed, sat up as we neared Sisters, Oregon, his nose busily working a scent. Half a mile later he started barking and leaning out the side of his hack. Sure enough, just ahead I spotted the golden arches of a McDonald's. That boy has a nose for hash browns!

We visited the drive-thru, then pulled over to stretch and warm up. I groomed him, a convenient way to check for ticks and cuts, then exercised him and made sure he drank plenty of water before we dropped into the desert ahead. The transition from forested hills to the flatness of the desert was very abrupt, and finally I began to feel warm. Within an hour I would be yearning for a return of the cold!

The region was very sparsely populated. We went thru just a couple of towns. Mostly the day was spent passing through endless miles of low scrub that offered no shade whatsoever. Lines of cottonwood trees marked rivers below, and when Barley needed to shed some heat that's where we would go. But even the water was warm!

We passed a lot of small abandoned and decaying structures alongside the highway. Some of them were cinderblock, but most were wooden. Aged, gray, and completely desiccated wood. Roadside produce stands, perhaps?

By the time we approached Boise, Idaho the temp was pushing 105 and Barley was clearly not having a good time. I found a hotel and called it quits for the day. Barley found his customary spot in front of the air conditioner and promptly fell asleep.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:50 PM   #36
DirtThumper
Bug protein and grit

Oddometer: 6
Fantastic read! You're making me even more psyched to finish setting up my hack and start touring with my pup!

Thanks!
DirtThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:44 AM   #37
Steveo1o9
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
Great RR! I love the pictures with Barley checking out the views and smiling. He really seems to enjoy the adventure just as much as you do.
Steveo1o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #38
Boondox OP
Travels With Barley

To beat the heat, we left Boise well before sunrise and crossed much of the state either in the dark or with the rising sun stabbing me in the eyes. It wasn't till we passed Idaho Falls that the scenery began to change. Having poured over Idaho tourism brochures before the trip, I was surprised by how dry the terrain was! To my way of thinking, the dry flatness just made the occasional town or geologic feature that much more enticing.

Crossing into Wyoming on final approach to Jackson, we traversed a high plateau so completely covered in rich green hay that I had a moment of pasture envy. Incredibly, the elevation was over 10,000 feet! I had always thought the growing season would be short at that altitude. We soon spotted mountain ridges ahead.

Jackson Hole was unexciting. I think my jaundice comes from the fact that I live in a tourist town, and recognize the shameless wiles of that genre when I see them. We refueled, split a ham and Swiss at Subway, drank plenty of cool water, and pressed on.

Ahead I could make out the Grand Tetons!

I had hoped to get up close, but Barley spotted a bison ahead and once again went into Cujo mode. There really is no hope for that boy!

We refueled in a small town. We had a long way to go still, so I experimented to see if squinting as I refueled would permit more gas in the tank. The verdict was unclear, however.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #39
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,108
^Bump^