Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #1
The Island OP
Im lost.

Oddometer: 219
CAN Bus & GPS Shuts off when raining

Hello everyone,

It's been a few times that I have taken my '13 F800 out in a torrential downpour where I will notice that my GPS turns off. Wont come back on until I turn the bike off and let it sit for a few minutes. On/Off won't do it has to be a few minute which to me, seems like the CAN Bus.

So, since it only does this when it's REALLY raining, water must getting in somewhere. ... but where?

The GPS is plugged into the accessory port on top of the battery and I used an OEM connector to do the trick.

Thanks everyone.
The Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
accessory port, you mean the one near the key/ignition? water will easily short out that port if that's what you're talking about.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #3
The Island OP
Im lost.

No, the one that sits under the body panel. Accessory port was probably the wrong term *the CAN Bus accessory port, I suppose you could call it. Where one would permanently mount the digital satellite map compass do-hick.

Un bolted the panel and found that everything was dry up in there. Hmmm...
Old 03-08-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
sorebutt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
I had water get into the GPS connection itself. The GPS plug doesn't fit all that great and water can get into it. I shorted out a GPS in Alaska and ruined it.
sorebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #5
The Island OP
Im lost.

When you say, "GPS plug" are you talking about the USB connector? I have a Montana and it has pretty wide spread connections if you use the Garmin adapter. It's hard for me to see how this could be the culprit.

The heated grips stay active so, does this mean it's an isolated thing with JUST the gps, then?
Old 03-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #6
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Island snap a picture of your setup for connection for clarity
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #7
Reaver
Trade Parts for Beer

Oddometer: 2,306
Does it rain much on the west coast?????

Just a thought, the acc plug you tapped into also powers the powerlet acc plug. A short in one will take out both. Any chance the powerlet port is doing it? Try unplugging it for troubleshooting. But yes, your grips and everything else will still work when the power is shut off to the acc plugs.

Fault codes??
Old 03-09-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
Full Power
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,421
I am certain that BMW CAN bus does not communicate with GPS. Entirely seperate systems.
Also, note that GPS satelites orbits are substantially higher altitude than any form of clouds, and thus, they are not subject to RAIN.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
The Island OP
Im lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Does it rain much on the west coast?????

Just a thought, the acc plug you tapped into also powers the powerlet acc plug. A short in one will take out both. Any chance the powerlet port is doing it? Try unplugging it for troubleshooting. But yes, your grips and everything else will still work when the power is shut off to the acc plugs.

Fault codes??
Does it rain lots? It rains 90% 110% of the time so no, not really. I bet rain IS getting into the acc. port by the keys there. It would make sense for sure. I will mess about with that and see if I can rule that out. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Power View Post
I am certain that BMW CAN bus does not communicate with GPS. Entirely seperate systems.
Also, note that GPS satelites orbits are substantially higher altitude than any form of clouds, and thus, they are not subject to RAIN.
My bike is somewhat unique. The dealer told me mine was a touch different since I paid a lot more money for it. He mentioned that the satellites that orbit, directly communicate to the CAN Bus ensuring that there is no short. If there is, the satellites will reroute the power (via GPS) to another relay so that an outage will never happen.

runnin4melife *I am too lazy to take a picture. It's the little CAN Bus acc. plug that sits directly onto of the battery. Take off the fake gas tank and voila, battery + plug on top = what I thinking.

Thanks everyone for the input.