User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #1
MotoRod700 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Damn It !!!!

I hate to ask this, and I know I'm going to get blasted, but does the 650/700/800 have a fuse panel ?? I have a '13 700, just put on new grips and now my heating element doesn't come on ... Before you guys blast me, I was extremely careful when doing the grips, the wires are perfect ... did one side yesterday and tested the heaters and got nothing ... just did the other side tonight and didn't bother to test knowing that it would have been the same ... blown fuse possibly ?? Do I need to disconnect the battery and re-connect to reset a "breaker" ?? Also, I've read where one side will be busted, and the other work, but not both being jacked that's why I'm asking. Damn the bad luck !!

Rod
MotoRod700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
No fuses or breakers. The circuits are computer controlled meaning sometimes you have to shut the key off for a few seconds between attempts.
If it fails to work after that, then the computer is seeing something it doesn't like and shutting them down.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,583
No worries Rod. As bayner mentioned they are electronic controlled CB's. If they still dont work< I would retrace the work you did, and see, if you missed something.

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #4
MotoRod700 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for your responses guys, I'll double check on the ride to work in the morning, if they don't come alive, it looks like I'll spend tomorrow night back in the garage ... Works for me, although the wife and kids may be pissed, lol
Old 03-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
dpm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
is the battery well charged? Grips are shut off at low voltages...
dpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Also make sure the heater is off before you start, for some reason that works on mine???
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:41 AM   #7
MotoRod700 OP
Adventurer

Well, the battery is well charged, I ride her everyday, and I made sure the heaters were off BEFORE I started her for the ride to work and still no luck ... looks like some garage time after work, wife permitting of course !! Thanks for all your responses !!!

Hey, one other thing ... does anyone know what the voltage should be at the grips (12VDC) ?? I checked last night on the throttle side and had nothing !! Thanks again

Rod
Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #8
20Fingers
MCarrera GS-Giants

Oddometer: 139
CanBus electonrics are touchy

Since the heated grips draw the most power, CanBus system kills them quick!!!

Therefore, all add-on accessories should/must be wired through an independent fuse block: Centech and Touratech sell nice ones! If you are not running any extras, the issue could be more interesting to fix.

Stopping, turning off the key and waiting a minute, then restarting works good on my 2013 F800GS. However, I MUST shut off the grips before I turn off the bike. meaning, the action of staring the bike with the grip heaters on causes the CanBus to ignore them. Occasionally, they will come back on when I forget to use the proper sequence.

A Fix I would NOT recommend to hobby mechanics.

Ignore the stock heaters, cut them out of the system by removing the connections and taping them off at the grips. Install after market heaters by wiring them through the Centech/Touratech fuse block. This will keep them isolated from the CanBus and the touchy starting sequence. I know of a few riders who have gone this route, I am considering it on mine.

***If you take this route, make sure to retain the integrity of the wiring for the stock heaters, if you sell the bike, you might want to return it to OEM condition, removing the aftermarket grip heaters.

It seem like we have all experienced issues with keeping the grips warm with the OEM system and have to fight with remember to use a specific starting sequence. I am hoping someone has another FIX which does not involve changing the system, such as adding aftermarket heaters.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRod700 View Post
Hey, one other thing ... does anyone know what the voltage should be at the grips (12VDC) ?? I checked last night on the throttle side and had nothing !! Thanks again

Rod
I'm not certain Rod, but I believe when I was checking mine they have a constant >12 volts (or battery voltage) as long as the engine is running, they do not power up without it, so don't get confused by that!
On low power they pulse on and off at about .5 second intervals. I've had separate incidents where one side would work but not the other and both times it was an open circuit situation, so that may also help narrow it down. Have you read the thread about grip repair yet?
Happy hunting!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:35 AM   #10
MotoRod700 OP
Adventurer

Fixed !!

Well, just to update, it's all fixed ... when I twisted the new grip on, the wire coiled around the housing shifted and shorted to the oposite wire ... pealed them apart, taped over with electrical tape aand reinstalled the grip and all is good !! Thanks for your help guys !! ... now on to the next issue ...
Old 03-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #11
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Oddometer: 63
Good luck MotoRod!
My grips, since new, are an intermittent thing. That canbus system really makes me mad.
Sometimes they reboot, sometimes they don't.
Dealer actually told me the colder it is, the less likely the canbus will let grips come to life!
I have found that to be true.
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:40 AM   #12
MotoRod700 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewtwo View Post
Good luck MotoRod!
My grips, since new, are an intermittent thing. That canbus system really makes me mad.
Sometimes they reboot, sometimes they don't.
Dealer actually told me the colder it is, the less likely the canbus will let grips come to life!
I have found that to be true.
Wow really ?? I haven't experianced anything like that ... mine work in all temps that I've encountered thus far ... from 35 degrees and up ... strange, hope you ge tthat figured out, I wouldn't believe th dealer on this one.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:06 AM   #13
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoRod700 View Post
Wow really ?? I haven't experianced anything like that ... mine work in all temps that I've encountered thus far ... from 35 degrees and up ... strange, hope you ge tthat figured out, I wouldn't believe th dealer on this one.

Same here and I've worked at the Dealer! OTOH, if you give some owners an inch they'll take up your whole day.

Thanks MotoRod for completing the story. Many post their problems and disappear so no one learns from it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11
Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #14
MotoRod700 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
Same here and I've worked at the Dealer! OTOH, if you give some owners an inch they'll take up your whole day.

Thanks MotoRod for completing the story. Many post their problems and disappear so no one learns from it.
I've been lurking for a few months since I bought the 'ol 700, and have learned a ton about these bike from everyone on here ... I figure the least I could do is post if I figure something out !!! Now the quest is to figure something out that nobody else has figured out ... Lol, yeah, like that's gonna happen !!
Old 03-28-2014, 02:42 AM   #15
lunaticTR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I have been using my heaters from -11 degrees Celcius and up. Mostly they were already on before starting the engine. Never had any issues like that. I even use my grips to hang my water bag on camps. Never missed a beat.