User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,046
Eh? How do you sit on your bike?

Sounds retarded, but I always hear about putting bar risers on bikes like an FJR or even fully sit up and beg riding position bikes...and I just don't get it. The only explanation would be if you don't sit right up against the tank and plant your butt all the way back where the seat is the widest. Doing that would increase your reach by a good 3-4 inches and I guess I could see the need for riders.

If you don't sit with your crotch pressed up against the tank, why not?
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
revrandy
The Riding Rev.

Oddometer: 265
Cause I don't like my junk getting squished and going numb on a 600 mile day.
revrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

So how far back do you sit?
Old 03-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
For the same reason clothing comes in different sizes and proportions.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Hardly any rider I know rides like that except for sport bike riders and old guys trying to relive their youth by aggressively riding bikes not suited for it.

You've never had a custom seat, have you? The wider part of the seat is where you're butt is supposed to be.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #6
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,137
I don't really understand what you are asking. I only start shifting around on long rides where hot spots need to be alleviated. Otherwise I have a hand on each grip, an ass on the seat and my feet on the foot pegs.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
I don't really understand what you are asking. I only start shifting around on long rides where hot spots need to be alleviated. Otherwise I have a hand on each grip, an ass on the seat and my feet on the foot pegs.
It's not that hard of a question...how far away is your junk from the front of the tank? Did you even read my post?
Old 03-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,896
You should sit/ride in a manner that's best suited for YOU. I really don't care what other people do because I'm sure they do what's best for them.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #9
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Hardly any rider I know rides like that except for sport bike riders and old guys trying to relive their youth by aggressively riding bikes not suited for it.

You've never had a custom seat, have you? The wider part of the seat is where you're butt is supposed to be.
How intersting, I've never, ridden a bike that I wasn't pressed up against the tank. It makes it handle better and closes the gap to the windscreen.

I'm referring to bikes that you are either sitting straight up and down or leaned forward however far that may be.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,137
Is this a sick and twisted way to get people talking about their "junk"?

I never pay attention but maybe that is because I was not birthed with a John Holmes replica?
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
How intersting, I've never, ridden a bike that I wasn't pressed up against the tank. It makes it handle better and closes the gap to the windscreen.

I'm referring to bikes that you are either sitting straight up and down or leaned forward however far that may be.
Not much riding experience, huh? That's ok. Spend some time reading the forum and you'll pick up lots of good tips you can practice to improve your skills. And there's plenty of BS too.

For reference, I had an FJR and ride a Super Tenere now, basically both styles that seem to confuse you. Both bikes had/have custom seats. Your question about how far away from the tank ignores the size of various riders.

If you're aggressively riding, yes sucking up to the tank can be advantageous. But most people don't find that position comfortable for longer rides. There is no 'spot', in that everyone is different in what suits them best.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:30 PM   #12
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:

Post a photo. I have long arms and like to lean forward some, on a mtc that sets me back from the tank.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #13
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,836
Quote:
Sounds retarded, but I always hear about putting bar risers on bikes like an FJR or even fully sit up and beg riding position bikes...and I just don't get it. The only explanation would be if you don't sit right up against the tank and plant your butt all the way back where the seat is the widest. Doing that would increase your reach by a good 3-4 inches and I guess I could see the need for riders.

I move around on the seat, especially offroad. I also change my leg and arm positions on long trips. This lets me cover over 1000 miles in a day on a thumper. Riding while standing can also make bar-risers more comfortable than low bars.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #14
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
All I know is I don't ever sit in the same place at all times, except on modern bikes which force you to. Cornering hard, braking, cruising at high speed, maneuvering in traffic, sliding in gravel or mud, or decending steep loose grades all have an effect on where I want my butt to be. Higher speed, leaning into the wind I will prefer a different position than I would on the same bike in the same conditions with a fairing.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #15
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,401
Did someone say bar risers?

Look how far his junk is from the tank.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote