Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #31
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231

I'm just going to sit here and wait for a trials rider to come in and say "I don't".
Old 03-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #32
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp4rks View Post

I'm just going to sit here and wait for a trials rider to come in and say "I don't".
Cute headlight!
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #33
aterry1067
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martacle View Post
Interesting that people approach the tank for more aggressive riding, never considered it that way. For me it's the opposite, but I ride sport bikes.

The way the seat is angled it seems more natural and comfortable to be right against the tank, which is how I sit for everyday riding. When I ride aggressively (i.e. at the track) I actually scoot back several inches to make it easier to slide off the seat on either side, as I was taught in track schools.
Do you have testicles, or did you give them to your wife?

LOL... just kidding of course. I have no doubt that you could leave me behind on a sport bike. It proves the theory that everyone rides their own ride, whatever that may entail.

Truth of the matter is, ride what is comfortable for YOU. Everyone else will do the same.
aterry1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #34
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
I've had all kinds of bikes, FJR, XX, VFR, mostly sportbikes and I suppose I just got in the habit of riding up front to lessen the reach to the bars. Whether I'm touring or in the canyons I don't really move. Make fun of me all you want, it's just something I've always done. Reading about bar risers for bikes I wouldn't dream of putting them on has got we wondering though. Here's the kicker though, I've always struggled with butt pain.
You struggle with butt pain because your sit bones are not supported by the seat properly. In part, because you're sitting on the wrong part of it too much.

Part of the issue here is that most of us are not thinking you do many long rides if that's how your sitting, because of the very reason you mention, it's not comfortable. What you may think of a long ride, is possibly not what those of us with custom seats think of as a long ride. Most sport bikes have horrible ergos. Few, (not all), people are comfortable in that body position for much more than an hour or so before they are doing things to make themselves more comfortable.

Congrats if you're young, fit and can ride for hours folded over and up against the tank. You're a minority. That's why people put bar risers on bikes and sit back on the seat, to be in a more ergonomically neutral position.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:15 PM   #35
Martacle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by aterry1067 View Post
Do you have testicles, or did you give them to your wife?
Yeah, still got em. I'm rudely reminded every time I hit a nasty bump. Why ride that way then? LOL, good question.
Martacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #36
smj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
I raised my bars for two reasons - I don't like it when sitting on the bike seat I have to reach down to the bars, I like my forearms parallel to the road. Also, when standing on the pegs, if I have to bend over very much to reach the bars, it puts my head and body to far forward. I find it hard to ride off pavement when my knees and hands are to close together... As to where I park my "junk" on the seat - anywhere I want! Usually has something to do with the type of riding I happen to be doing at the time... Sometimes, I simply don't park my junk at all...
Old 03-09-2014, 11:52 PM   #37
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I raised my bars for two reasons - I don't like it when sitting on the bike seat I have to reach down to the bars, I like my forearms parallel to the road. Also, when standing on the pegs, if I have to bend over very much to reach the bars, it puts my head and body to far forward. I find it hard to ride off pavement when my knees and hands are to close together... As to where I park my "junk" on the seat - anywhere I want! Usually has something to do with the type of riding I happen to be doing at the time... Sometimes, I simply don't park my junk at all...
Long distance, I ride up front for a while, scoot back for a while, use the rear pegs only, maybe hang off one cheek like a road racer, then the other, maybe one foot on the front peg and one on the rear for a while, then trade off. In heavy traffic or a fun section of road, mostly sitting up in an "attack" position. Then switch them up and do it all again. I try to move often, before the old position gets uncomfortable. Once in a great while, if I know I'm up long before any cops could have possibly left the donut shop, if the roafs are empty and dry, if the bike is really running well, I will lay down on the tank, feet on the rear pegs, chin bar of the helmet resting on the handlebars, and open the throttle. There is nothing quite like hearing the engine in full song, mechanically transmitted through the helmet, un muffled and unmodified by any thing to do with wind noise or airflow. But I'm just cool like that. Never could enjoy the highway pegs, the "having all of the weight on the ass until I can move my feet" position does not work for me at all. Really really feels dangerous. I have bought dozens of bikes with highway pegs, tried them, went home and removed every one. I don't know of any modern bikes with long flat seats made for this moving around, so my long distance bikes are all quite old.

I can drain the tank riding solo on old bikes, over and over again, for days. A hundred or so miles between stops is about it for two up or riding anything modern.

tkent02 screwed with this post 03-10-2014 at 08:27 AM
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:55 AM   #38
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
Sounds retarded, but I always hear about putting bar risers on bikes like an FJR or even fully sit up and beg riding position bikes...and I just don't get it. The only explanation would be if you don't sit right up against the tank and plant your butt all the way back where the seat is the widest. Doing that would increase your reach by a good 3-4 inches and I guess I could see the need for riders.

If you don't sit with your crotch pressed up against the tank, why not?
Because a 6'3" tall person has longer arms and legs than a 5'3" person they'll likely sit further back to not be cramped. What am I missing here?
JohnCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:16 AM   #39
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
For the same reason clothing comes in different sizes and proportions.
EXACTLY.

My arms are ridiculously long- I am 6'-2" tall but my wingspan in 6'-8".

Riding for any longer distance, I am most comfortable leaning forward so I am not near the tank (I would rather have the opposite of bar risers).

I have 2 custom seats for my K100RS- both sit me in a comfortable "pocket" and I would be climbing a hill to get near the tank.

I also ride a DRZ400 and am most comfortable more than halfway back on the seat.

sugarhillctd on the
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:57 AM   #40
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,122
I had one of these as my first bike.

The seat was positioned in such a way that even if you did slide back, you would quickly slide back forward unless you were consciously pushing back away from the tank. That, coupled with the fact that my legs were too long to fit in those gas tank indents, made it no fun at all to ride for extended periods. I've found that the best way to ride for extended periods, is to be further back, and with your back in as straight as a line as possible. IMHO.

Put me down in the "further back" camp.

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #41
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
EXACTLY.

My arms are ridiculously long- I am 6'-2" tall but my wingspan in 6'-8".

Riding for any longer distance, I am most comfortable leaning forward so I am not near the tank (I would rather have the opposite of bar risers).

I have 2 custom seats for my K100RS- both sit me in a comfortable "pocket" and I would be climbing a hill to get near the tank.

I also ride a DRZ400 and am most comfortable more than halfway back on the seat.
My dimensions are less extreme- 6 ft tall, and sit taller than you might expect. My arms are long but not that long, and I like to lean forward and put weight on the (European style)bars. I think this has a lot to do with my admiration for German motorcycles and my avoidance of Japanese ones.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:34 AM   #42
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkent02 View Post
Long distance, I ride up front for a while, scoot back for a while, use the rear pegs only, maybe hang off one cheek like a road racer, then the other, maybe one foot on the front peg and one on the rear for a while, then trade off. In heavy traffic or a fun section of road, mostly sitting up in an "attack" position. Then switch them up and do it all again. I try to move often, before the old position gets uncomfortable. Never could enjoy the highway pegs, the "having all of the weight on the ass until I can move my feet" position does not work for me at all. Really really feels dangerous. I have bought dozens of bikes with highway pegs, tried them, went home and removed every one. I don't know of any modern bikes with long flat seats made for this moving around, so my long distance bikes are all quite old.

I can drain the tank riding solo on old bikes, over and over again, for days. A hundred or so miles is about it for two up or riding anything modern.
I can't sit comfortably on the base of my spine, I rock forward to more of a bicycle riding position. I need the long flat hard seat. The one I made for my bike has been called an anvil, but for a long ride it is perfect. It really is the saddle that determines the range of the motorcycle.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #43
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,024
Always as near at the tank as possible. Hour for hour for hour. Never understood the bar risers thing. Riding is like sex. I want to be as close to her as possible as long as possible. Maybe I will change if I get old. Hopefully I don't.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #44
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,049
^ wtf?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:19 AM   #45
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
*cough* FREAK *cough*
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote