Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #46
jmq3rd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
I'm usually pretty close to the tank. I have short legs and arms and a long torso. Combines to mean that I am leaning forward more than most, so bar risers actually put me in a similar posture to most riders without bar risers.

For riding aggressively I could take them or leave them, but for just farting around the risers make it more comfortable. I don't really notice much impact on handling, other than 2 or 3 minutes to get used to the change.
jmq3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #47
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
I ride a second gen bandit and I have to sit as close to the tank as possible. I'm short and have short arms to match. I see the custom seats and they look very comfy but I know I can't sit 2-3 inches away from the tank to get my butt in the "pocket" on those aftermarket seats. I do, however, want some 1" risers on my bike just for a little more comfort. It all depends on a person's height and proportions.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:26 PM   #48
Griffin44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
I'm an old guy, been riding about 35 years. And I'm tall, 193 cms. Mostly sport bikes.

First thing I do with a new bike is drop the bars, not raise them. Makes it much more comfortable for me.

I keep back a bit from the tank and grip with my knees. Also, I rest my slight belly protrusion on the tank hump, much of the time. I ride 12 hour days on a BMW S1000RR and comfy as hell. No numb bumb and no arm aches or back problems. And the RR's seat has virtually no padding. Interestingly, I am prone to lower back pain and riding my bike is a cure, not a cause.

I don't know why this works for me. Not many people seem to be the same, including friends that are built the same as I am. But lower bars is the biggest ergo improvement I can do to a bike.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #49
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martacle View Post
Interesting that people approach the tank for more aggressive riding, never considered it that way. For me it's the opposite, but I ride sport bikes.

The way the seat is angled it seems more natural and comfortable to be right against the tank, which is how I sit for everyday riding. When I ride aggressively (i.e. at the track) I actually scoot back several inches to make it easier to slide off the seat on either side, as I was taught in track schools.
I now ride sports bikes so I sit right forward as it more comfortable to reach the clip ons.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #50
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith Rider View Post
Always as near at the tank as possible. Hour for hour for hour. Never understood the bar risers thing. Riding is like sex. I want to be as close to her as possible as long as possible. Maybe I will change if I get old. Hopefully I don't.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #51
fast1075
Fasterizer

Oddometer: 184
Laugh

I have very short arms, and as a result, I am forced against the tank. It has always been so on every bike. Also, the seats slope towards the tank.

The trick is to wear garments that properly support the tender bits.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #52
Sun Ray
Polyglottic Moran

Oddometer: 967
Pretty comfortably, I must admit. But as the hours of riding increase you're going to get uncomfortable, no matter the bike or the seat. I've had all kinds of solutions, but the answers was eventually always the same, damn, my ass/wrists/knees hurt. It's the dilemma of long distance and you can make it a little more comfortable by buying a new seat and bar risers, but ultimately even with that you're going to still feel it. You want to be comfortable? Buy a nice hammock and drink a beer near the beach, after a full day ride of course.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936940
Sun Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #53
randyo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,620
99 SV650
82 XV920R
A man with a gun is a citizen
A man without a gun is a subject
randyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:08 PM   #54
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Always as near at the tank as possible. Hour for hour for hour. Never understood the bar risers thing. Riding is like sex. I want to be as close to her as possible as long as possible. Maybe I will change if I get old. Hopefully I don't.

I like sitting upright and not hunched over like a Labrador retriever mounting a Pug.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #55
Colorado_Rider OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I like sitting upright and not hunched over like a Labrador retriever mounting a Pug.
OK now we're getting somewhere, glad I'm not the only one Up front is what makes 'em handle.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #56
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
I can't sit comfortably on the base of my spine, I rock forward to more of a bicycle riding position. I need the long flat hard seat. The one I made for my bike has been called an anvil, but for a long ride it is perfect. It really is the saddle that determines the range of the motorcycle.
That's just basic posture 101, isn't it? Whereever you sit your posture needs to be correct for it to work.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #57
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
That no-handing chick is crazy...in a ridiculously hot kind of way.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #58
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado_Rider View Post
OK now we're getting somewhere, glad I'm not the only one Up front is what makes 'em handle.
It's a sport bike thing. When you grow up, you'll understand. (btw, growing up is not related to age).

BMW S1000RR... Glad you're enjoying it. I know a few guys like you that would prefer to lower the bars on every bike they buy. A few.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 PM   #59
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Always as near at the tank as possible. Hour for hour for hour. Never understood the bar risers thing. Riding is like sex. I want to be as close to her as possible as long as possible.
Just stay away from the tailpipe.
CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #60
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Idle is offline   Reply With Quote