ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #16
Kletsou
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblue67 View Post
What handling issues did you experience? Can you be a bit more precise? Thanks

Hi,
Apologies for the late reply. I picked up a head shake on the bike varying from 140km/h +. This would occur under certain circumstances. So in general after riding about 40kms on the highway (traveling at average 140km/h). When I accelerated to about 180km/h I would get the "head shake". It would then occur any speed from 120km/h to 230km/h. This was with the standard screen and with touring screen. Happened with or without luggage(no panniers or topbox).

It would then continue to perform in this manner until I set the dampening. After a bit of a ride it would do it again. Like I said, two dealers did not pick this up. I do not experience this on the R. So what it is/was I am not sure.... What I know is it took away my enjoyment of the bike and to have that on a wet road, scared the living daylight out of me.

Hope this help?
Kletsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #17
Daveman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowster View Post
^^

I found the std bike electronic suspension damping presets not quite refined enough; on my bmw, the presets were a little more refined.

Result is that the 'std' 1190 felt like the rear wheel struggled to deal with some punishing situations....YMMV

Great bike, though...

I chose the R model after 15k kms on the standard no regrets, but the R model is pretty tall - i'm 178cm tall, and only just tall enough to deal with this beast
How much did your dealer charge you for the exchange?
Daveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #18
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowster View Post
^^

I found the std bike electronic suspension damping presets not quite refined enough; on my bmw, the presets were a little more refined.

Result is that the 'std' 1190 felt like the rear wheel struggled to deal with some punishing situations....YMMV

Great bike, though...

I chose the R model after 15k kms on the standard no regrets, but the R model is pretty tall - i'm 178cm tall, and only just tall enough to deal with this beast
What is your inseam? I am 5'11 (about 180cm) and I have about a 30.5" (77cm) inseam, I can flatfoot or securely tiptoe most bikes (including the 1190 std). Interested in getting an R but haven't sat on one yet.
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #19
lentuk
Adventurer
 
lentuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Ramona CA
Oddometer: 36
Why did you choose the 1190 adv std over the R?

I chose the standard, I wanted a 150 horse power street bike that was comfortable to ride in a regular seated position, a bike with all the modern technology and comfort.
But mainly all that friggin power, I have passed and held off big inch sport bikes with this machine, gotta love it.
lentuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #20
tvblue67 OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 23
Anyone else experienced that head shake on the std (or the R?)?
tvblue67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:25 AM   #21
Daveman
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Belgium
Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentuk View Post
I chose the standard, I wanted a 150 horse power street bike that was comfortable to ride in a regular seated position, a bike with all the modern technology and comfort.
But mainly all that friggin power, I have passed and held off big inch sport bikes with this machine, gotta love it.
Are those the standard handlebars?
Daveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #22
lentuk
Adventurer
 
lentuk's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Ramona CA
Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman View Post
Are those the standard handlebars?
Yes.
I removed the stock hand guards and mirrors, replaced the mirrors with Oberon bar end convex glass units.
I installed the sorter "R" windscreen also.
lentuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #23
OhBoy
Got Out
 
OhBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Hookie, NH
Oddometer: 967
Standard is lower...less likely to get dropped.
Don't need all the clearance...to old to ride it like a dirt bike.
Waiting for the Heidenau tires that will fit our bikes...can still ride in the dirt.
__________________
KTM 1190 Adventure
OhBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #24
Davy F
Pro Goolie Fiddler
 
Davy F's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: 36th Ulster Divison
Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvblue67 View Post
Anyone else experienced that head shake on the std (or the R?)?

Not me, solid as a rock and I'm a riding god !!!
__________________
Good luck exploring the infinate abbyss !
Davy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:59 AM   #25
OrangeV
Gnarly Adventurer
 
OrangeV's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: LittleBigSmoke
Oddometer: 384
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentuk View Post
I chose the standard, I wanted a 150 horse power street bike that was comfortable to ride in a regular seated position, a bike with all the modern technology and comfort.
But mainly all that friggin power, I have passed and held off big inch sport bikes with this machine, gotta love it.
My friend I dont know you, but I already like your thinking.
I have the same colour
__________________
75 V perky peak power from around 5000rpm and loves to be worked through the gears.
When you hit that sweet spot, it is simply electrifying.
OrangeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:05 AM   #26
Ossie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Houston, Texas
Oddometer: 34
I went with the standard based on my only riding on pavement and maybe occasional dirt road. To really ride off road you need a 200 lb dirt bike. Ok maybe 230 lb. But anyhow I never test road the 1190 before buying. Just didn't want to ride the bike before the purchase. Bought totally based on specifications. Since, I have almost 5K miles and the bike fits like a glove. Handles better than anything else I have owned. Extremely stable tight chassis. The electronic suspension for me is the icing on the cake. Very supple on square edge bumps to where you don't feel them, yet firm the rest of the time. Need more acceleration, just dial it up!

Get one and you won't be disappointed.
Ossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:08 AM   #27
RobZorba
RobZorba
 
RobZorba's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 368
Comparing the "R" with the standard, you get an additional 30 mm suspension travel front and rear, with fully adjustable shocks, great for off road, but the seat height is 30 mm higher as a result. This is not a big problem (for me) due to having a 33 inch inseam. For riders with a 31 inch or less inseam, the standard might be more "comfortable" due to lower seat height.

Comparing seat options from KTM. The one-piece rally seat is 25mm lower than the standard seats. The standard seats and ergo seats are about the same height. Swapping the rally seat on the "R" with the Powerparts ergo seats adds another 25mm to the seat height. Swapping the seats on the standard with the rally seat reduces the seat height by 25 mm.

It's possible to reduce the seat height on both the "R" and standard by approx 5 mm by slackening the front fork clamps, and raising the front forks by about 10 mm (but no more than this). You can see the lowered front suspension here on my "R". The concentric rings on the upper fork tube are not normally visible.

RobZorba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #28
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentuk View Post
I chose the standard, I wanted a 150 horse power street bike that was comfortable to ride in a regular seated position, a bike with all the modern technology and comfort.
But mainly all that friggin power, I have passed and held off big inch sport bikes with this machine, gotta love it.
I hear ya....shamed a R1 last week.

Chatting later he just kept shaking his head.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #29
SCV
KtmOrange
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Oddometer: 21
R Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianpc View Post
What is your inseam? I am 5'11 (about 180cm) and I have about a 30.5" (77cm) inseam, I can flatfoot or securely tiptoe most bikes (including the 1190 std). Interested in getting an R but haven't sat on one yet.
I'm 5'11" as well. My inseam is 32" and I cannot flat foot my 1190R. I test rode a std several months before purchasing the R and didn't remember it being as high. I've only had the bike a week and have got off it a couple times to back it up. Tip toes don't work to well backing up. While it doesn't really bother me now, I do wonder how it will be in certain off-road un-level situations.
__________________
2010 KTM 530
2014 KTM 1190R
SCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:12 AM   #30
SCV
KtmOrange
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Oddometer: 21
Light switches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Comparing the "R" with the standard, you get an additional 30 mm suspension travel front and rear, with fully adjustable shocks, great for off road, but the seat height is 30 mm higher as a result. This is not a big problem (for me) due to having a 33 inch inseam. For riders with a 31 inch or less inseam, the standard might be more "comfortable" due to lower seat height.

Comparing seat options from KTM. The one-piece rally seat is 25mm lower than the standard seats. The standard seats and ergo seats are about the same height. Swapping the rally seat on the "R" with the Powerparts ergo seats adds another 25mm to the seat height. Swapping the seats on the standard with the rally seat reduces the seat height by 25 mm.

It's possible to reduce the seat height on both the "R" and standard by approx 5 mm by slackening the front fork clamps, and raising the front forks by about 10 mm (but no more than this). You can see the lowered front suspension here on my "R". The concentric rings on the upper fork tube are not normally visible.

Are those aftermarket switches next to the 12v outlet?
__________________
2010 KTM 530
2014 KTM 1190R
SCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014