User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
FredRydr OP
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,463
OEM Touring windscreen '08-'12 bracket mod

If any of you use the BMW OEM touring windscreen on their 2008-2012 F800GS or F650GS, you know how little thought BMW put into the two bolts that mount the aluminum bracket onto the fairing. Why didn't they use the same squared brass nut used by the standard screens? On top of that, the excessively long hex cap bolt and the self-locking 8mm nut is enough to drive you crazy if you swap the touring screen on and off each season, like me. This time I had to use a drill bit, a vice-grip, a Philips screwdriver and an 8mm box wrench on both sides to get the bracket off. I gotta do something about this.

I looked at the bottom of the aluminum bracket to see if I could make installation and removal easier by modifying it to accept those square brass nuts. It looks simple enough to do. Photos and description will follow, though exactly when depends upon help from a friend.

Has this wheel already been invented? Warnings gratefully accepted. Offers of alternative windscreens will be rejected out of hand. After all, the challenge is to fix, yet again, the product of a BMW engineer who was too lazy to go look at the bike before specifying the wrong bolt from the parts bin.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:22 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,161
Fred:

You might want to check the microfiche.... or visit a showroom near you

IIRC the design of that bracket might have been enhanced....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
OKstripe
Imaginary Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
If any of you use the BMW OEM touring windscreen on their 2008-2012 F800GS or F650GS, you know how little thought BMW put into the two bolts that mount the aluminum bracket onto the fairing. Why didn't they use the same squared brass nut used by the standard screens? On top of that, the excessively long hex cap bolt and the self-locking 8mm nut is enough to drive you crazy if you swap the touring screen on and off each season, like me. This time I had to use a drill bit, a vice-grip, a Philips screwdriver and an 8mm box wrench on both sides to get the bracket off. I gotta do something about this.

I looked at the bottom of the aluminum bracket to see if I could make installation and removal easier by modifying it to accept those square brass nuts. It looks simple enough to do. Photos and description will follow, though exactly when depends upon help from a friend.

Has this wheel already been invented? Warnings gratefully accepted. Offers of alternative windscreens will be rejected out of hand. After all, the challenge is to fix, yet again, the product of a BMW engineer who was too lazy to go look at the bike before specifying the wrong bolt from the parts bin.

Fred

Some of us will be watching. During my first windshield Olympics it was your advice I followed to take the windshield off completely and take a ride. As promised it was educational and life changing. Now I mostly sport a F650 shield cut down to the instruments. However - also need a cold weather deflector, thinking BMW touring and have read posts about the hardware issues you mention. Have chickened out so far b/c that shield has many detractors among the inmates. It has worked OK for you aside from the fasteners?
OKstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
FredRydr OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
...the design of that bracket might have been enhanced....
Within the '08-'12 model period? No such luck on the A&S fiche.

Actually, I picked up a spare screen and bracket from another inmate, and I now have two identical brackets, with no enhancements on either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKstripe View Post
...Have chickened out so far b/c that shield has many detractors among the inmates. It has worked OK for you aside from the fasteners?
I've tried a few aftermarket screens, and the OEM screen has worked the best for me, and I'm glad I didn't sell it before settling on that.

The generic bolt and nut annoy the hell out of me at installation and removal time, but I'm happy with it otherwise. Since I finally destroyed the two bolts getting them off, this is the opportunity to do what BMW should have done. The machining will be in aluminum, and will be hidden from view, so I expect it will be a rather simple job. The only issue I see is the recessed hole on the top for the bolt head may need to be filled a bit so the new square recess on the bottom doesn't meet!

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 03-12-2014 at 11:23 AM
Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #5
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,161
Sorry for your troubles Fred ...
It was a conversation I had with a parts guy more than a year back and either he or I could easily have got our wires crossed......
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
OKstripe
Imaginary Adventurer

Quote:
Within the '08-'12 model period? No such luck on the A&S fiche.

Actually, I picked up a spare screen and bracket from another inmate, and I now have two identical brackets, with no enhancements on either.

I've tried a few aftermarket screens, and the OEM screen has worked the best for me, and I'm glad I didn't sell it before settling on that.

The generic bolt and nut annoy the hell out of me at installation and removal time, but I'm happy with it otherwise. Since I finally destroyed the two bolts getting them off, this is the opportunity to do what BMW should have done. The machining will be in aluminum, and will be hidden from view, so I expect it will be a rather simple job. The only issue I see is the recessed hole on the top for the bolt head may need to be filled a bit so the new square recess on the bottom doesn't meet!

Fred
Thanks. Please share your final engineering solution so I can put it in my apparently bottomless windshield file.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
FredRydr OP

The simple solution turns out to be...(drum roll)...shorter machine screws instead of the two button head hex socket supplied with the OEM bracket. I'm using a pair of M6x20mm Torx, the same that are already factory-installed in various locations on the F800GS.

It makes it easier. The alternatives were too much of a hassle.

Fred
Old 10-05-2014, 03:45 PM   #8
OKstripe
Imaginary Adventurer

Quote:
The simple solution turns out to be...(drum roll)...shorter machine screws instead of the two button head hex socket supplied with the OEM bracket. I'm using a pair of M6x20mm Torx, the same that are already factory-installed in various locations on the F800GS.

It makes it easier. The alternatives were too much of a hassle.

Fred
Thanks for the update. Glad the answer falls within my parameters. Namely KISS.