Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #436
rob1313 OP
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMURPH View Post
As long as 'drop a few pounds' doesn't mean eliminate a smurf. Ha!
Na, you're alright in my book
Old 07-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #437
SMURPH
Jackass

Oddometer: 393
Not too late to come to the Run to the Hills. And you get to test out every bit of waterproof kit you own. Should be interesting.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/james-may/james-may-rain-of-terror-2008-12-01
SMURPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #438
rob1313 OP
Still learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMURPH View Post
Not too late to come to the Run to the Hills. And you get to test out every bit of waterproof kit you own. Should be interesting.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/james-may/james-may-rain-of-terror-2008-12-01
Yeah.... That sounds like a great idea. I could test out my waterproof stuff (did I ever tell you that my rain riding concept has always been to just keep riding, it'll stop and I'll dry eventually) and I could fight a forest fire too! I think I'll just suffer through the wedding, at least it isn't mine
Old 08-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #439
istephens
FJRian

Oddometer: 139
Horizons Unlimited Nakusp - Aug 21-24

Hey fellow schitzos,

Anybody thinking of heading out to Nakusp for the Horizons Unlimited event in Nakusp?

Due to some drastically changed travel plans this summer, I'm able to make Nakusp this year.

Lemme know ...

Ian
2008 VStrom DL1000 Silver - the Mule
istephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #440
istephens
FJRian

Ian and Louise on the road!

Louise and I will be leaving on a 9 day trip around NW Alberta (Peace River area) and NE BC. Supplies have been purchased and the packing has started.

We were going to be going out to Sarnia, but family issues require Louise to fly out when we get back from the bike trip.

I'm going to try my damnedest to update the blog and a ride report here on ADV.

It won't quite be the epic 8000 km trip we'd planned, but we are for sure going to make it to Dawson Creek after missing out on two previous attempts!

Ian
Old 08-04-2014, 05:46 AM   #441
rob1313 OP
Still learning

No Nakusp this year for me. I was just talking about how much I enjoyed it yesterday. Hope you two have a great time out there.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #442
rob1313 OP
Still learning

Rode the grey creek pass solo yesterday. Nothing to it. 88ks of mixed gravel the worst being sections of first and second gear stuff. You guys should go try it if you haven't yet
Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #443
mardaf
"POPS"

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313 View Post
Rode the grey creek pass solo yesterday. Nothing to it. 88ks of mixed gravel the worst being sections of first and second gear stuff. You guys should go try it if you haven't yet
What no pictures?

I don't like making plans because the the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in court
mardaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #444
rob1313 OP
Still learning

Check Facebook.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #445
TSully
Riding season please

Oddometer: 5
*Bump* crikets chirping...
How is a guy that works way to stinking much supposed to live vicariously through you guys when there are no posts?
Anyone know somebody who would be looking for a nice newer SUV? 2012 Equinox, 1LT, V6, AWD, 58200km?
Old 09-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #446
istephens
FJRian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSully View Post
*Bump* crikets chirping...
How is a guy that works way to stinking much supposed to live vicariously through you guys when there are no posts?
Well I'd hoped to have more pics to post, but this year was almost a bust for trips. I'll see if I can get some RTTHVII pics up shortly though.

First, Louise and I had the bikes fully packed on the evening of Heritage Day (first Monday in August), ready to leave early the next morning for about 10 days of riding. Noticed one of our dogs dragging its ass around. No biggie, figured we could have the son take the dog to the vets and have it looked at in the morning sometime. Then, we noticed blood, so it was off to the emergency vets for dog butt surgery, followed by the cone of shame and drugs.

So that trip was off.

Then the following Sunday, with the dog healed up enough for us to leave him in the loving care of our son, we figured we'd leave Monday for at least a couple of days riding. However, I tripped going down the stairs in the house. The result was both joints in the left big toe dislocated and the skin at the base of the toenail peeled back about 3/8". In case you're wondering - yeah it hurt like hell! But the worst thing was the bleeding wouldn't stop. After a couple of hours of direct pressure and no stop to the bleeding, we wound up at the emergency clinic and received some fine high quality Alberta Heath Care. Liberal use of saline and iodine, was followed by some copious use of a cauterization tool. Still bled like crazy, so three stitches were required.

So that trip was off too.

Couldn't drive any of our three vehicles for almost a week because all are standards and I couldn't push the clutch down. Couldn't ride a bike because I needed to left toe to shift up - 2 long weeks before I could even gingerly shift up.

I could show some pics of the toe and the dogs' butt, but I'm pretty sure no one wants to see those.

Many thanks go to APerfectStrom for nursing me until she bolted to Sarnia Ontario to visit her sister (via WestJet).

Maybe next year will be better.

Ian

istephens screwed with this post 09-15-2014 at 09:29 PM Reason: Wordsmithing
Old 09-16-2014, 04:47 AM   #447
rob1313 OP
Still learning

All I managed this year was a couple quick runs into bc. First one was pretty good, mostly down in the Creston area. Second was cut short by a bike malfunction. I'm at about 10,000 kilometres for the season right now, less than half of what I usually manage. But with good reason
Old 09-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #448
Big_Dan_G
Untamed existance

Oddometer: 22
Currently on my pacific coast run. But had to work a big chunk of the summer. That really cut down the miles I was hoping to make.
Nothing lasts forever, so live it up, drink it down, laugh it off, avoid the bullshit, take chances & never have regrets, because at one point everything you did was exactly what you wanted. - Marilyn Monroe.
Big_Dan_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #449
TSully
Riding season please

Oddometer: 5
Sorry to hear that Ian, it surely puts my summer into perspective again. No trips (other than work), too much time spent at work, and, unfortunately a mother-in-law that passed away. Riding seems to have been put on hold again with too much to do and too little time to accomplish it. 10,000 km would be awesome, I would settle for 3000 km this year! Good to hear that some of you are out and about.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #450
istephens
FJRian

I still managed to rack up over 10000 Ks this year, partly on the back of a 10 day 6000 K trip in June and partly because I commute to work every day on the bike.

Just didn't get a brain clearing, stress-shedding long trip with Louise this year

We have big plans for next year in addition to Run to the Hills 8.

Ian