User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
ElRud OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Copper Canyon in February 2014 reports

Hey guys ! This is my first post on advrider. I'm just coming back from a month trip in Mexico. Went down Baja, took the ferry to Los Mochis, down to Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara and up Durango and Chihuahua through Copper Canyon. I thought I would tell you a little bit about my stay in the Canyon since everyone advised me not to go and I endend up having the best time. So, before leaving I phone the travel agency in Creel, Tres Amigos and they adviced me to travel on this particular route. From Guachochi I would take the road to Yoquivo and the down to Batopilas. That road was great, good gravel (a bit slipery) and a bit challenging especially the way down to Batopilas who took me about 2 hours. Make sure you have good brakes and good tires before going there. My XR650 had AVON Distanzia and I would not recommend them for this trip (although they are great on pavement). I slept in Yoquivo. The first house in the village (blue) is owned by Robyn wich was very friendly and had a few rooms to rent. The restaurant in front of the hotel/general store is very good too. From Batopilas I was told to take the route to Urique. This one was very hard to find. After the "mine" on the paved road, take the road on your left that is going toward the river. You'll cross a "dam" with water on top and the road will be in front of you after. Unfortunately that road was too steep with big sharp rocks and too chalenging for me so I had to turn around. If you are experienced off road rider, you'll be fine, but since I was riding alone, I didn't want any bad luck to happen. So I took the paved road to Creel from Batopilas. The road is close from 6 am to 6pm for work but they let the motorcycle go. It's still very challenging with loose and deep soft gravel and lots of rocks on the road. But it was gorgeous! From there I made it in Creel in about 4 hours. The next day from Creel, I want to Urique and back in the same day. About 300 km and 8 hours. The road down to Urique is much better and the scenery as good. Anywhere I saw or heard of the marijuana and opium harvest that Lonely Planet talks about and the people were very friendly. Once you are out of the canyon make sure to ride to Basaseachic cascada. Its beautiful and short ride. The reason I'm riding this travel log is because a lot of people in Creel told to write about my trip. The travel business in the copper canyon region are hurting. All the bad publicity Mexico is getting because of the cartel is killing a lot of hotel, restaurants and tourism agency. So if you are thinking of going, I strongly encourage you ! Make sure to give a call to Amigo trails & 3 amigos in Creel they have the best advice and can outfit you if you need. Here are the pictures of all my trip in Mexico. If you have any questions, feel free althought there are a lot of other thread about Copper Canyon.
ElRud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Outstanding Rudy! This is the timely and comprehensive intel on the CC area that I have been looking for. I'm sure your recommendation will get someone headed that way. I'll let you know if it's me!

Great pictures! They tell a great story. Thanks for sharing.

akaDigger screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 04:52 PM
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
lexluther11
Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer: 1,071
Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures.
lexluther11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
PhillipsMetal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Thanks for the update. I am heading back down in the next couple months and will hit the Canyon on my way out. Like you I found friendly people and a beautiful area.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #5
phxman
"Rocks are my Friends"

Oddometer: 276
Thanks for the pictures and update. Takes me back to 2004 when myself and 3 friends made the trip.
AZOHVC
phxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #6
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,370
Nice!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Thanks for the update Rudy. We are headed down next week going from Creel to Bato to El Fuerte and on to the ferry at Topolobampo.

How did you get to Bato from El Fuerte/ You mention Guachochi. We are planning Creel to Bato via Samachechui(?) off the road to Guachochi--the old road that was under construction.

From Bato we were planning El Rodeo-Tubares-Choix-El Fuerte. I am thinking you came in from El Fuerte south of this route to Guachochi.

Can you clarify??? We are old guys on big bikes and not looking to earn our Mexico off road merit badges here.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
michaellmcc
Dudester

Oddometer: 83
Good report!

Thanks for the report, Rudy. We were down there a year ago - surprised to see the PAVED switchbacks headed down to Batopilas!
Explored by motorbike: USA, Canada, Alaska, Mexico, France, Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Italy, Greece, Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Vietnam. Videos: Alaska: http://vimeo.com/70698420; Mexico: http://vimeo.com/62712738 ; Austin to Indy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPsHo...eature=mh_lolz ; Morocco: http://youtu.be/fW758r_V4mE ; Big Bend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEKpJ...ature=youtu.be
michaellmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #9
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,352
Very nice. Love the mountains and canyons. Ne plus ultra pour le moto.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
Wolverine1305
The english is hard

Oddometer: 169
Pavement

I can see in the pictures that there is pavement towards Batopilas
Old 03-20-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
vegasbaby
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Rudy, How did you get down to Mexico from Edmonton in Feb? I would like to do this trip sometime. I keep my adventure bike in Las Vegas. Easier ride from Vegas to Mexico vs Edmonton.
vegasbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #12
ElRud OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Vegasbaby: I took the bike down to San Francisco in my truck. I have friends in Oakland so I could safely leave the truck there.

Renogeorge : I didn't go to El Fuerte. I come from Durango City and Hidalgo del Parral, then west to Guachochi. From there, the road to Yoquivo and the entrance of the canyon is easy to find. It takes you down to Batopilas. From there, I was advice to take the old gravel road to Urique but it was too challenging for me, I insted rode on the paved road to Creel (about 4 hours). Althought it is paved, expect some dirt part and a lot of detours ! I haven't been in the area you're talking about (El Rodeo-Tubares-Choix-El Fuerte) sorry. But I would hardly suggest you give Three amigos in Creel a call. They have been really helpful for my trip ! Have fun !
ElRud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
MOAC Man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hi Rudy.

Hoping to ride to Copper Canyon via Baja next Spring.
Did you camp or stay in accommodation?

Thanks.
MOAC Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Not trying to steal Rudy's thread.....We are just back. Motels all the way. Clean and affordable. Juanitas in Batopilas is great.

We had issues getting through from Bato to Choix/El Fuerte. Road closed at Tubares. There may be another route through San Ignacio. But we gave up and came back to Bato.

Bottom line: great trip, great people, beautiful country. Do some research on routes south of Batopilas. Mapping and signage are almost non-existent. Dirt roads can be challenging, especially on big, loaded bikes. And you may very well see some narco activity. Not sayin' don't go. Just know where you are going and what to expect.

We had absolutely no problems getting to Batopilas from the north. I would make that trip tomorrow riding double with my wife.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
We had issues getting through from Bato to Choix/El Fuerte. Road closed at Tubares. There may be another route through San Ignacio. But we gave up and came back to Bato.
Did the closed road look like this?