ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2014, 03:09 PM   #1
MXanadu OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
HELP!!! can't get a title for a XR600 in Kansas

So after reading all the great forums and going back and forth between which bike to get, I finally decided on getting a XR600R and I found a great deal on one. Only problem is it is impossible to get it plated in Kansas

So I was thinking... Only thing I need to do to get it titled is get a self addressed stamped envelope proving I live in a state that allows dual sports Get a new DL than get the bike registered. Was thinking~ I could send a letter to someone in a state that allows the bikes, they could give me the letter and I could go to the DMV and say i am a resident of that state.

Down side is, I would also need to change the registration on my car, keep coming back to that state to get new plates, and it might Fu@k up my taxes and working status with my company... But I feel it is worth the hassle to get the bike I want. Any ideas on what my options are and if this is even plausible?

I am serious about this bike and don't wanna have to settle on something else. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Maybe if you live in a legal state I could pay you to get it plated.
MXanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #2
LFD Kansas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
You are going to run into some difficulty. Did you buy the bike in Kansas?
If not, you have to take the bike to the highway patrol and have them look at the Vin. I would highly recommend doing a bit of research on which inspection station would be a good one to go to. I tried plating an XR 400 and was unsuccessful.

Another idea would be to find someone who was successful and ask them how they did it. It has been done, but it is not easy.

Kansas is really a screwed up state for vehicle licensing. You can plate a drz400s with all the signals, horn, lights, etc without anyone ever looking at the bike. You can add hundreds of dollars into a DRZ 400 E in safety equipment and it can never be plated.

In Kansas with no inspections, a guy could drive around for a lifetime with no brakes and always get a plate but you cannot plate a dirt bike. In Missouri, a vehicle gets inspected every two years and you can plate whatever you want as long as it is safe. I am considering moving across the river just so I can plate a capable off road bike.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
LFD Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
LFD Kansas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 957
Give this thread some time, someone that has been successful will add their $.02

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
LFD Kansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
MXanadu OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFD Kansas View Post
You are going to run into some difficulty. Did you buy the bike in Kansas?
The bike is in Missouri. I have not bought it yet. But planned on it. I called the Highway patrol and they said if it was not designed by the manufacturer to be a highway bike it is impossible... Maybe I could slap some XRL650 stickers on it. and tell them all I need to do is transfer the registration from MO. to KS. But the damn title ill say XR600R. If I buy it and it does not work I will be so screwed.

If they give me trouble I could tell them the title is a typo and tell them to plate it as a XRL650. If the sheriff thinks its a XRL650 and okays the inspection the DMV may not catch the error...

Don't know what to do. I really had my heart set on this bike.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
wandering fool
A Man on a Bike

Oddometer: 84
Why not register it in another state? I am a resident of one state and have my bike registered in another. No problems for me. All I needed when I registered my bike was insurance, my out of state license and an address. I know lots of people who have vehicles registered where they have a vacation home. As far as I know you don't need to be a resident of the state you are registering a vehicle, you just need an address in that state for them to send you the papers.
wandering fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #6
MXanadu OP
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering fool View Post
Why not register it in another state?
I was under the impression you needed to have it registered in your state of residence. I will look into this more and let you know what I find.

*** I just checked and it is possible to do that if you have an address, but if I do not actually have a residence in that state it is illegal. Anyone need a new roommate? I will only come by once a year and when I do come by all I will do is drop off a six pack and leave. hahaha

I think I will give it a try and if it does not work I will fix her up and sell it.

MXanadu screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 04:14 PM
Old 03-11-2014, 04:04 PM   #7
wandering fool
A Man on a Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXanadu View Post
I was under the impression you needed to have it reqistered in your state of residence. I will look into this more and let you know what I find.
Maybe some states are different but I have a Louisiana registration with another state's driver's license. Never had a problem. My parents have a car and boat registered in another state where they have a vacation home. You will need an address in the registering state, I use my parent's address so they can send me the title. Maybe an inmate would be your address in another state for titling purposes?
I also have a car titled the same way. When I was stopped recently the cop had no problem with it.

wandering fool screwed with this post 03-11-2014 at 04:12 PM Reason: Additional information
Old 03-11-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 1,125
You can register almost anything you want over in Oklahoma. The closer to the border the better as they know they deal......and want your cash.

Many Kansas boat owners go to Oklahoma to register their boats because its Sooooo much cheaper, like 2/3. Research the dmv site. Getting someone to be a part of a potential crime when they don't know you is a 'Let me know how that works out" kind of deal.

Or........buy a different bike you can actually register

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
wandering fool
A Man on a Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kag View Post
You can register almost anything you want over in Oklahoma. The closer to the border the better as they know they deal......and want your cash.

Many Kansas boat owners go to Oklahoma to register their boats because its Sooooo much cheaper, like 2/3. Research the dmv site. Getting someone to be a part of a potential crime when they don't know you is a 'Let me know how that works out" kind of deal.

Or........buy a different bike you can actually register
Are you implying that giving the dmv of the registering state an in state mailing address is a crime? I did not have to show any proof of residence in the registering state, the lady just told me that if I sent it in state that I'd get the title much more quickly.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
Trl Rdr
Big Red Bird

Oddometer: 2,036
Its even easier in SD. You fill out a form - ATV afadavit, Title app and a zerox copy of your driver license. pick a county and send it in. probably need 40-50 bucks.

I got a XR650R in MO with a street title. NE said no. so i sent it up north for plates.
My other XR650R has NE plates (I did it a few years earlier.)
Baja Mexico Trail Ride Report
Big Bend Ranch Drive and Ride Report
Trl Rdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
nconoan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
As Randy indicated NE has the same problem but there usually are ways around it. I ran in to that same issue when I bought a DRZ400E plated just fine in Michigan and tried to register it in NE. They wouldn't have it, said the title was invalid because of the way the guy filled it out. I think that was some BS cause I took that same title to Ohio when I did a brief stint in grad school and got the bike plated just fine! Was planning on trying to transfer the Ohio title to Nebraska, but before I needed to it got stolen! But yes, it can be done.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:39 AM   #12
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,425
Good luck getting it registered in Kansas. The VIN trumps all, and you can't bring anything in without a Highway Patrol VIN inspection. I even had to get one for a bike that had been registered on the Potawatomie reservation just north of town. You have a friend or cousin or someone who wants to own a bike that spends its time in Kansas?
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
MXanadu OP
n00b

Quote:
Are you implying that giving the dmv of the registering state an in state mailing address is a crime? I did not have to show any proof of residence in the registering state, the lady just told me that if I sent it in state that I'd get the title much more quickly.
I did not mean to imply anything, sorry if it came off that way. I had read online that you need to register the vehicle in the state that you are currently a resident in. So if I am a Kansas resident it is illegal to get a Missouri plate... Based on everyone's feedback and doing more research I am not going to let this influence my decision. Hopefully I will buy it this Saturday.

Thanks for the feedback!

If I get it and have any issues I May be back. Thanks again everyone!

MXanadu screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 08:21 AM
Old 03-13-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
wandering fool
A Man on a Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXanadu View Post
I did not mean to imply anything, sorry if it came off that way. I had read online that you need to register the vehicle in the state that you are currently a resident in. So if I am a Kansas resident it is illegal to get a Missouri plate... Based on everyone's feedback and doing more research I am not going to let this influence my decision. Hopefully I will buy it this Saturday.

Thanks for the feedback!
Didn't mean to sound defensive. I was just explaining that the DMV and a cop on traffic stop didn't even blink about registration and license being from different states, so if it is illegal than it certainly isn't a priority, at least in my experience.
Good luck with it. I am all for navigating the red tape of beauracracy and making it work.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 AM   #15
MXanadu OP
n00b

Quote:
Didn't mean to sound defensive. I was just explaining that the DMV and a cop on traffic stop didn't even blink about registration and license being from different states, so if it is illegal than it certainly isn't a priority, at least in my experience.
Good luck with it. I am all for navigating the red tape of beauracracy and making it work.
I didn't take it as defensive... I just called the MO DMV and they said you have to license it in the state that you are a resident. If you get a plate in one state and are a resident in another state that is illegal. I guess my only option is to find someone in a legal state who wants to plate it in there name and let me ride it in Kansas... Maybe I should just wait for a good deal on a DR650 to show up.