Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
moulin6801 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Do I really need to spend $140 on Radiator Guard ?

Hey guys, got a lot of must haves for my new 800GS , the only item that I am not sure is the Radiator guard… I am wondering if you would be a waist of $140
I got a front fender extension… should protect some… I do ride offroad 50% of the time… more if I could… Coming from the 1200GS did not have to worry about that.
Thanks for your input!!
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Depends where you ride and what tires you use. I think it is an invaluable accessory, do you at least have the el cheapo plastic honey comb? A radiator is an expensive fix but the choice is yours.
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 02:53 PM   #3
Dorito
Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer: 5,063
Well considering you probably aren't getting off the trail without a radiator, and now you will need to replace the radiator which will be >$140...I'd say yep.

Nothing (ad)ventured, Nothing Gained
Everything you want is on the other side of fear.
Dorito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
firebolter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
On the 14 800GSA, what do you remove? the honeycomb seems to be parts of the plastic tupperware in and around the radiator. Do you have to "cut the honey comb" out and replace with the Altrider or similar guard? Haven't taken mine apart, but it appears the plastic honeycomb is part of the plastic surround of the radiator encasement.
2006 Husky SM610+71 BSA 250 Trials
2011 Beta 300 2T Lim Ed+ 74 RL250 Suzi
firebolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #5
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,374
why don't you make it yourself? Buy some aluminium mesh for less than 20$ and replace el cheapo plastic thingy with that. That's what wunderlich uses and charges about 70€ for it. Should be stronger than el cheapo and will give you some piece of mind until something breaks :o)
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Or just fab one up with some carbon fiber. I think mine cost me about $15 in materials tops.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,518
I'd like you to find an owner's post that their F800GS radiator was pierced by debris. I've yet to read one.

Aftermarket metal radiator grille sales are driven by unfounded fears that the radiator is going to be holed by debris thrown up from the front tire (which in any event, is not the driven wheel). The stock cover laid flat against the core protects against the odd stone.

Of course, if you're going to drive a tree branch into the radiator at speed, you're going to have far more serious problems than just a holed radiator.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:19 PM   #8
moulin6801 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
I'd like you to find an owner's post that their F800GS radiator was pierced by debris. I've yet to read one.

Aftermarket metal radiator grille sales are driven by unfounded fears that the radiator is going to be holed by debris thrown up from the front tire (which in any event, is not the driven wheel). The stock cover laid flat against the core protects against the odd stone.

Of course, if you're going to drive a tree branch into the radiator at speed, you're going to have far more serious problems than just a holed radiator.

Fred
That's what I was thinking too... and I was wondering if anyone have had a problem due to the lack of radiator guard....
My 2013 800gs does not have any plastic protecting the radiator. .. I guess they put on on 800gsa.
moulin6801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #9
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Well I prefer to maintain the integrity of my radiator and I have seen countless stones rebound of my guard, treaded tires pick up ample rocks and hurl them at ample speed to damage a radiator even at trail speeds, but I also have a fender mod. Same thing as a dirtbike, it doesn't take much to screw up a radiator and I would rather not have a stray piece of rock or debris punch into it. I had a bird go into my VFR radiator. After I dumped my coolant I was stuck in Iowa for a bit.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #10
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Back in the dark ages I used to do a lot of sweep riding. I always carried quickmetal, a couple of hose clamps and a bit of radiator hose in popular sizes ( 20mm, 25mm ). It was very annoying have to repair a radiator just to get someone to a main road so the support vehicle could reach them. can you afford a cooked motor or a very long walk/wait? I personally wouldn't be without some sort of protection. I wasn't prepared to pay big dollars when I could make something myself that only cost time.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:28 PM   #11
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Fred
I know you read my RR Fred.

60K kms with stock plastic guard before a rock got me. Rode it another few thousand K's leaking before having it fixed at a rad shop. No plans of going better than stock as some aluminum "protectors" chafe an irreparable hole in the rad. An 800 plastic guard fits on the 650 with a little mod and they come free when your buddy buys a shiny aluminum one......

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:12 PM   #12
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
60K kms with stock plastic guard before a rock got me.
Finally! (I did?)

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #13
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
The answer to that can be answered with the following...

Do you NEED car insurance?

Do you NEED health insurance?

Do you NEED homeowners insurance?

Do you NEED to wear a helmet when riding?

Do you NEED to give your wife flowers on your anniversary?

The short answer is NO, you don't NEED any of these things, but woe to the man that doesn't bring flowers on an anniversary, or doesn't wear a helmet when his body becomes a missile after hitting a car, or when someone decides to make popcorn, adds oil, turns on the head an then heads to the bathroom only to return to a kitchen on fire, or having a heart attack at 30 years old, an emergency room visit, a stent and a $130,000 bill from the hospital, or no liability insurance when you're in an accident and it's your fault...and so on.

Do you need any extra protection up in front of your F800GS..NOPE...roll the dice and take your chances. When it comes up craps and you're 100 miles from no where, that $140 bucks won't even cover the tow.

Radiators and oil filters, they are the "jugular vein" of any bike. Fail to protect them and you'll bleed out fairly quickly.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:59 AM   #14
firebolter
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider 101 View Post
Back in the dark ages I used to do a lot of sweep riding. I always carried quickmetal, a couple of hose clamps and a bit of radiator hose in popular sizes ( 20mm, 25mm ).
I have repaired quite a few radiators and side cases with "JB weld". In fact, I repaired one radiator on a trip and my buddy never took it off and got it professionally repaired because the hole I filled was so solid, he said he didn't see why he should spend the money! I also repaired a crack in a KTM clutch cover on a Dual Sport event for a guy. He was shocked that within 30 minutes and a qt of oil from the gas station, he was back up and got to finish the ride versus taking a support truck back to the start when he had only ridden for 2 hours.

I carry JB Weld in my kit for all Dual Sport , ADV and off road rides. Stuff works wonders. And while I have Bullet Proof guards on my KTM 525 and Berg 300, stuff can still happen to cause a radiator to leak, carry some JB and a Popsicle stick, can work wonders.

back to the original thread---Has anyone with a 14 GSA replaced the plastic guard with a metal one? It seems that the plastic guard is part of the whole shroud surround and you can't just remove the honey comb plastic piece without taking all of the shroud surround out? Would be curious to know if anyone with a 14 GSA has removed theirs and what it took.
2006 Husky SM610+71 BSA 250 Trials
2011 Beta 300 2T Lim Ed+ 74 RL250 Suzi
firebolter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:35 AM   #15
yann L
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I have the aluminium one only because I found a guy selling used GS parts on kijiji Canada. It cost me about alf price. Otherwise I would still have the plastic honeycomb and be happy with it.
yann L is offline   Reply With Quote