Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #31
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,672
Those dots are probably what set the dog off.....

Is this the Eiffel church?.......No, but it's on the hillside in Santa Rosalia......

Is this the Eiffel church.......? ........ and some nice window work......

And then we rode into Mulege.....along the river......where the last hurricane produced some serious flooding.....so we checked in to Cuesta Real, parked the bikes above the water line and started looking up some more amigos from previous trips.....

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #32
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

I've gotta steal a couple of chabons shots.....he took some really good photos....I'd like to steal some of 805's photos but he's never sent them to any of us........

Along the river you can sense the force of the flood....more pics of this around San Javier.....

Pepe and Sandra are not current managers but the hotel is recovering from the flood and the family could use your business if you're in the area....

We had dinner with willyAirstream....who has a year left to apply for permanente'.....good luck and thanks for the map consult....great ride tomorrow.......

I'll now defer back to my own photos and thanks to chabon for lending me his copies.....
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #33
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

This is another great riding day....with a good mix of dirt.....and small communities.....and the Pacific Ocean.....and some of the best scenery on the Sea of Cortez......this is why we ride.....and this is why we ride Baja.....and this is why we ride the world.......damn, days like this are why we live.......

First ya gotta start with b'fast at the Mini.....

Can I get one of these for b'fast?

Then you move on down the road which gets nice'n'twistie until you get to this.....which isn't grey today........

chabon thinks he just bought this beach.....he'll californicate it when he gets the financing......

The cordon forest meets the Bahia de Concepcion.....and I like it.......

Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #34
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

no chabon this evening?

Alrighty then....

When you get past the fabulous scenery depicted above, you have an opportunity to head west (young man)......towards the interior communities of San Isidro and La Parisima with the final destination.....Scorpion Bay....accommodations at San Juanico......

Back in Billy Goat country........where's the Wyoming sheep?

I'm likin' it......

OK, we're not slamming our bikes at 60 mph.....and we're not changing flats every hour......but it doesn't suck this way......

Warning: watch for yellow dots on your screen.....

Old 03-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #35
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

haha.....warned ya......more yellow dots.......

In the late 50's and early 60's, there were only dirt roads between the small towns where I grew up.....it's a big part of the allure of this country.....

So if you don't like this content.....click out......this is my best stuff....

It just hurt when I fell outa heaven.....

And I get a new "personal best"......4 under each arm.....school just got out when we pulled in to town and we didn't have any steekers....still had a bit of fun.....

Old 03-19-2014, 09:40 PM   #36
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

still no chabon.........?

OK, I told you he takes some great photos.....and I'm not adverse to stealing them......

His version of the same turf.....

He likes to eat..........his food.............

Dude..........one of your best shots........kudos..........

I knew you'd californicate that beach if you could.....

Old 03-20-2014, 05:47 AM   #37
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman1432 View Post
Happy B-day Chabon...Jack Benny's age 39 and holding probably .........come on with the old age type faster we are all waiting.
Thanks, I think?
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #38
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
still no chabon.........?

Dude..........one of your best shots........kudos..........

I knew you'd californicate that beach if you could.....

Some of us still have jobs to go to! I'm late leaving for work and it's only 5:45am.... 52 more days :)

I think I could build some nice california condos on this beach, maybe a McDonald's and an Ikea, oh ya, a Starbucks.

Or maybe just leave it alone and not tell anyone where it is....
Old 03-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #39
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

There's some pavement in La Purisima but then we took the "old road" to Scorpion Bay to add a little more adventure to the day.

There was an easier crossing spot but chabon dove right in....

Some of this, some sand, no tracks but ours.....

and then the Pacific side...

I took chabon out to the first point, the breakers were pretty weak. The rooms and palapas were more expensive so we headed back into town....

We are, after all, just cheap moto trash........

This is a chabon shot of where the "old road" connects to the pavement, it's a major sand wash that nobody seems to have used recently.....and for good reason.....

He's got some really good photos of the towns but I'll give him a chance to get caught up at...............work......................... ...and post them himself.......
Old 03-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #40
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Leaving San Ignacio on the way to Mulege..... via Santa Rosalia

IMGP0546 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0547 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0550 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0554 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0561 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0563 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Being from Santa Barbara now, I had to throw this in. At the Gustov Eiffel Church

IMGP0565 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0567 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Saw this, but never checked the website.... at least not yet.

IMGP0571 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Who needs a stinkin flushometer when you can get a pvc valve....

IMGP0572 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0576 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Couple cool overlanders, I think they were Swiss.

IMGP0579 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0584 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0587 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0589 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Boone's Strawberry Hill Wine, Sounds like it is a clone of Boonesfarm Strawberry Hill, vintage 1973?

IMGP0594 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr
Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #41
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

We hung out on the roof of our Hotel 7 Puntas....and enjoyed the view....

We had dinner at the Burro....more gringos there......and some good eats.....

We had single rooms which meant that the chainsaw known as chabon was a bit more muffled being next door rather than in the same room.....

The morning sunrise was very nice....and we headed further south. Today will bring us to Puerto San Carlos....

Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #42
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

chabon gets another chance to fuel up while on the road....

Ciudad Insurgentes.....with the family of insurgents.....

It's great to see more Rojo (premium) gasolina.....I gotta keep my horse filled up....

Just a bit further down the road is Ciudad Constitucion where we head out to the west coast again, pay attention to that intersection, the local polizia work it pretty hard, they were on a 4wheeler and motorcycle and pulled over several cars while we ate lunch....no photos, they were friendly and liked our motos and we didn't want to provoke them.....

There are several hotel options in Puerto San Carlos and the Brennan is full. OK, we end up at the Eco Hotel.....big kitchen, good wifi, it's under renovation and the manager/owner, Fito, is both entertaining and informative.

While riding around town, I recognized another project that is now completed. 3 years ago it was still under construction.

The 690 enjoys the company of whales and although our building is under construction, the room is nice and has a flatscreen with satellite channels. Kinda upscale for us but it turns out to be a good thing. chabon has suffered an injury and is developing a chiari headache. He's going to need the extra day before La Paz to recover.

We decide to take the Tour of Magdelena Bay tomorrow and let the bikes stay stashed. We started on Saturday and have ridden daily so a boat ride will be a nice break before the big city and Carnaval.......
Old 03-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #43
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

On the road to San Juanico today....

IMGP0601 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Bay of Conception

IMGP0604 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0605 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

How many hi-viz stickers can you see? And what the hell is the ski pole for?

IMGP0607 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Back to dirt and gravel, ya!

IMGP0610 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Another minor KTM repair. Thank goodness we didn't have to put in the spare crankshaft yet.

IMGP0611 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0613 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0616 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0618 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

La Purisima in the distance

IMGP0620 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0622 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0624 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Aquaduct carved out of the rock on the left side of photo.

IMGP0626 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Aquaduct continues along wall of rock.

IMGP0628 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0629 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0630 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0631 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Nice hotelat San Juanico, and like walrus said, I didnt have to listen to him saw logs!

IMGP0632 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0634 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Almost ate it all before I got a picture.

IMGP0637 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Stumbled backwards over the stupid step going up to the bathroom. Gave myself a little whiplash to my already unstable cervical spine, ouch.

IMGP0638 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Didn't get any pictures of the abandoned road we brought into San Juanico. Thanks for the track Stickman1432. Only goat prints and a couple small washed out arroyo's but a nice trail.

Kid in the resturant picked up my iPhone and started taking selfies and looking through my photos. Knew how to operate my phone better than I do. And no cell service for miles.

IMG_0228 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr
Old 03-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #44
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

San Juanico to Puerto San Carlos today. Feel like I've been riding sweep on the ride report ever since it started! I might have to take a day off work just to jump ahead of Walrus!

Large herd of burros, more that you can't see hidden behind the hill. Now this gets me thinkin. I've been eating some beef and carne asada but I have never seen a cow on this trip. I see donkeys often enough. Does anyone know if donkey tastes like cow? In any case, all the food has been excellant

IMGP0641 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Rotopax Baja style.

IMGP0642 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Ate here at Constitution and was good and good wifi. The traffic cops were stationed outside pulling people over. They were interested in us when we pulled into town, but we pulled into the resturant parking lot just 20 feet in front of them. They came over to check things out. The one guy kept showing me how his gloves were worn out and then kept pointing at my new gloves and motioning that maybe I should give them to him. I smiled and joked it off, I think he was just seeing how generous I might be. I took my gloves inside to breakfast! We were the only customers.....

IMGP0644 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Power plant going into Puerto San Carlos. Big diesel fuel tanks next to it. My guess is that they bring in barges of diesel and have one huge ass honda generator in there.

IMGP0646 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0648 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Fito's grandson (the onein the red sweatshirt)

IMGP0651 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0653 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0655 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Gen 1 GPS

IMGP0658 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

So start chatting with these folks and conversation gets around to geology and blah blah blah and in any case, turns out this guy (Steve) is the uncle of a friend and guy I used to work with in a Geotchnical firm.... go figure. Its not like were on the big tourist trail or anything here.

IMGP0659 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Nice accomadations, I think most modern and cleanest of the trip so far, most expensive also, $800p or about $70 ($35 apiece). Still one-third the price of a not so nice Motel 6 where I live.

IMGP0661 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

IMGP0662 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Hard to see here, but had a huge shower with plenty of hot water.

IMGP0663 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

aahhhhh,

IMGP0664 by DDMcGinnis, on Flickr

Fito set up our whale watching trip for tomorrow morning. I'm hitting the Vicodin and Cuba Libres to temper my whiplash induced headache,, ggrrrr. Watch some french military movie or something to that effect and sleep away the afternoon.

EDIT: And what I meant to say "Watched some french military movie or something to that that affect, and slept away the afternoon."

chabon screwed with this post 03-21-2014 at 08:52 AM
Old 03-20-2014, 10:02 PM   #45
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabon View Post
I'm hitting the Vicodin and Cuba Libres to temper my whiplash induced headache,, ggrrrr. Watch some french military movie or something to that effect and sleep away the after

This may pair with this....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQKJUYBz9YE

Good ride report, and 50 some days left to work....Life is good
Bgunn is online now   Reply With Quote