Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 06:52 AM   #76
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
14 hour day at work yesterday (900 yards of concrete, yikes). Home after 8 last night and back at it at 5 this morning. This work is really cutting into my leisure time!

Will try to post up some more pix later today/tonight.
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #77
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabon View Post
Hey Ggregg, I was there in 1973 also, maybe we crossed paths back then.

The point?, you must be talkin about David Letterhead Asked around town but no seemed to know if he was around or not.
We camped under a palapa on the beach in SJDC in front of Zippers surf spot for 2 weeks, where the condos are now, then a hurricane came and we left, were you there when the hurricane came through Cabo?
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #78
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
We camped under a palapa on the beach in SJDC in front of Zippers surf spot for 2 weeks, where the condos are now, then a hurricane came and we left, were you there when the hurricane came through Cabo?
No, or yes, maybe? can't remember, but I think I would remember a hurricane, or not???
Old 03-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #79
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Out of La Paz and heading north to Loreto.

IMGP0759

IMGP0761

I think Walrus was jeolous of all my hi-viz stickers

IMGP0762

IMGP0764

IMGP0770

IMGP0772

IMGP0775

This was a tough post! First flickr changed their user interface and I got it all screwed up and had to repost. Then I realized I posted two days (had to go back to my track to figure things out). Once your on the road over a week you kind of loose track of time and space. Especially with no TV, newspaper, news, calendar, etc.....

We end up in Loreto

Found this dog chillin. Had his butt up on the step and was trying to look cool for all the bitches.

IMG_0248

More coconut shrimp

IMG_0249

On my last camera battery so switch to cell phone shots to conserve the camera

IMG_0254

No shots of the hotel, etc. Tomorrow its back to San Ignacio.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #80
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Oddometer: 631
I am addicted to Baja Ride Reports! Awesome pics! I'm loving it!!!
08 MegaMoto #99529 For sale. PM for details.
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #81
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

I received a PM asking about my bike so I thought I would answer here for everyone's benefit.

"Im not sure if you mentioned any advantages or disadvantages of having the supermoto in Baja, but can you tell me how your bike handled in sand or loose gravel roads?"

The supermoto version of the WR250X performed great. Shinko 244 knobs, good on highway and rock or sand. I quit riding my BMW650 once I got the 250. Short inseam necessitated the 17" supermoto version as well as lowering link. This is the only bike I have ridden in sand so I don't have anything to compare to, but a riding buddy with lots of experience (70 years riding?) likes the 17" and wide tire in sand and I think he even prefers it. The 250 doesn't have a lot of torque to the wide tire floats without much effort. I aired down a bit on the gravel and rough roads to soften things up. Only downside was one day we rode into a headwind and I was wide open throttle to make 55-60 mph!

Your experience may vary... base on riding skill set, horsepower etc.....
Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #82
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin View Post
I am addicted to Baja Ride Reports! Awesome pics! I'm loving it!!!
Glad your liking it! More to come.....
Old 03-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #83
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,878
chabons day'o'reckoning.....Loreto to San Ignacio should be an easy bump on the pavement with some lovely scenery and some nice twisties....

As we pull north through the greenery, we hit a Mexican military checkpoint that I don't remember from previous trips. The guys are young but we're headed north so they tend to take a bit longer to wave us through. I pop out the other side, see them wave chabon through and I twist the chicken neck (throttle)....5 or so miles up the road I look for chabon in the mirror.............no chabon......so I pull over and wait.....take a pee....wait some more.....Now some traffic is passing me and still no chabon so back to the checkpoint I head..........

[IMG]P1030212[/IMG]

There sits chabon with the mighty, mighty WR250R (with the tractor tires)....in a disabled state.....so I pull over a Washingtonian with a couple bicycles and ask him for assistance.....chabon is looking churly at this point.....and you can deduce the reason...........

P1030213

Thanks, no room to bump the bike and it needed the jump.....fired right up and away we rode......the only serious stopage of the entire trip so far......

P1030214

To those of you who have inquired how the 690E manages to keep up with the WR250, I will have to admit that I'm a pretty shitty rider on a really unreliable KTM....of course.....so as long as I can keep the blinker signals working and the mirror attached.........It's all good.....

Edit: I have had a 690E with the sumo wheels and although I didn't run it with knobs, the sumo bikes are a personal fave....they turn in to corners a bit quicker so that's an adjustment you make while riding but with the same suspension travel, they are one of my favorite bikes.....The 250 just won't work for my personal 6'3", 105 kg size, cockpit is too small and ask chabon about hitting his rev-limiter while we slammed through the back streets of La Paz.......
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:38 PM   #84
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

We're making good time and I've got my curiosity bug going today.....as well as other incentives.....so we take a couple of side trips over to the Sea of Cortez....not far off the pavement but we have the time and I can never get others to follow my whims......first spot.....

P1030217

Very cool marina and beaches.....

P1030218

P1030222

Spot #2.......not far from Spot #1.....very scenic.....I always heard there's a lot of development (and a lot for sale) on the beachfront properties....

P1030226

P1030225

The trailer park had some vintage campers with Kali plates dating back several decades.......

It was also 80% empty....

Then we stop in Spot #3 for a very tasty lunch with beautiful view....I won't tell you about the panga that got defiled along the way.....

P1030228

P1030227

But we did get those blue skies/blue Sea of Cortez headed west to San Ignacio......just to make up for the one grey day.........

P1030230
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:08 PM   #85
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Loreto to San Ignagio. Not many pictures, my last battery is dying!

IMGP0781

Ken and the ponga in my rearview mirrow. Oh the humanity.....

IMGP0783

Lunch in Santa Rosalia

IMGP0784

Some more of this

IMGP0788

Back to San Ignacio and Tootsies.

IMG_0223

A few other bikes arrive. We quickly get our order in!

IMG_0256

IMG_0255

The bikes belong with this group.... Bill Nichols et al...

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961244

tomorrow its off to Bahia Las Tortugas and to meet up with three (actually four) of our buddies
Old 03-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #86
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

If chabon doesn't have a lot more to add to the RR, youse MoFo's are in trouble......

We get back to San Ignacio and visit with Oscar and Antonio again....I can not stress how great it is to pull in to a small community and check in with some friendly local faces.....it's not the Holiday Inn and I appreciate that immensely....
We then bolt on down to the cheapie Margies at Tootsies......where we find another big desert group lead by Bill Nichols.....I get a conversation with the couple who are riding 2 up............on the biggest bike, an XR659R....with some major mods for her......this woman is a yoga/strength master.....I will refrain from commentary regarding thighs...........but I did offer to hook them up with our resident XR guru, harcus at globetrottin'.com......he does have a steel subframe for that bike..........

P1030236

Aside from giving chabon some grief about Tootsie and her service reward, I admit that it was him that ate that steak special which would only serve to coagulate in my gut and cause me tremendous grief....you;re a better man than me......Gunga Din........

The next day finds us on the last segment of our Assignment.....Memorial....
Old 03-27-2014, 06:27 PM   #87
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,354
Good report guys...Enjoying your slow take it all in pace.
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:52 PM   #88
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

OK, we're now into the portion of this ride that has some nostalgia and some sentiment attached to it.

I was an Altar Boy back in the '60's and I have developed a healthy respect for those who blaze the trail before us.

It was cool to meet Bill Nichols and he deserves accolades for developing the trails that are enjoyed to get to many spots in Baja like Window Rock.

But in the background of those well known tributes are riders like Mike Gordon, shortscutsmc......

I'm a NOOB and feel very fortunate to have gotten a ride with him. He's an old school rider who has ridden many rides with Burt, Mi Vale' Madre. I would like to follow both their tracks over the decades.

I grew up with some old timers in Wyo...we worked in mines and made tangible stuff. They had an integrity that I try to pass on to the new folks on the planet. I have been privileged to meet folks like Finis Mitchell who pioneered the Wind River Wilderness Area in my life. He gave us slide presentations in the '60's while I was in grade school.

I feel the same respect for Mike Gordon and Burt Gunn with respect to folks who have blazed trails on motos over the past 7 decades. From my encounters with people like this, they don't consider themselves special. They just played their cards and did what they liked to do. They certainly haven't been politically correct or proper in everything they've done. But, where would we all be without them?

I have similar respect for my 86 yo dad and Oscar in San Ignacio. They live full lives in the context of their time and conscience. They raise families and do their best to promote progress. They are another reason to ride.

OK, Walrus rant over...............
Old 03-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #89
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
the sumo bikes are a personal fave....
I sure love my DRZ SM.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:03 PM   #90
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

So, my understanding is that Mike didn't make it to Bahia Tortugas and it was on his list.

Three riders left Yuma with a bit'o'Mike to leave at that spot and chabon and I thought it would be good to meet up with them for that purpose. And so, up the road we went....

I think there were KLR riders in front of us........
P1030237

Some pavement....

P1030239

Some not pavement....believe it or not, there was some remnant of Carnaval headed this way....pics to follow.....

P1030240
chabon passes "reserve" while the 690e just looks cool.........

P1030242

P1030243