User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 PM   #91
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,801
[QUOTE=The Walrus;23796667]

I feel the same respect for Mike Gordon and Burt Gunn with respect to folks who have blazed trails on motos over the past 7 decades. From my encounters with people like this, they don't consider themselves special. They just played their cards and did what they liked to do. They certainly haven't been politically correct or proper in everything they've done. But, where would we all be without them?

QUOTE]

I must have something in my eye. Thanks Ken.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #92
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,671
In short order.....they're waiting for us........chabon, Lee, BGunn and Mi Vale' Madre'......

P1030244

We are back off the beaten path and it's great....

P1030245

According to those in the know, this is the last western point as boats run down the peninsula.........and there are not a bunch of us gringos hanging around.....I like it........

P1030246

Hard to believe that unreliable KTM still looks so good.....just like me.....

P1030248

Folks, civic pride and your own park are hallmarks of civilization....here we are, in civilization........

P1030250
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #93
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Pull your fingers outa your eye.......cause in short order, we get ripped off for a half a case of beer but we get a chauffeur to dinner and make it back to the beach for the memorial......this must me Mexico, eh Burt.........

P1030256

Highly recommended......

P1030258

P1030259

I hope we all enjoy the journey we get as Mike enjoyed his journey....and thanks for letting us participate.....

P1030262
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #94
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Oddometer: 1,310
Well said...It was a "right here right now moment" I think Mike would have definitely approved of the evening.

Bgunn screwed with this post 03-27-2014 at 08:33 PM
Bgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #95
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

This will be the final day of my Ride Report. I look forward to any additions to be made by the rest of the gang, particularly since chabon was sentenced to the entire 2 weeks with me........

We had a quiet evening, drank a couple of Tecates and I gave myself a treat.....half a Cuban.....if I smoked a full cigar, I wouldn't sleep for a couple of days....

P1030263

The next morning found us at the market with a traveling b'fast and an early getaway. chabon and I had been pretty lax about hitting the road early but we know that a Gunn Run changes that aspect....

P1030265

Getting outa town looked pretty straightforward......and it was.....

P1030267

Down by the town park, the local kids were going to get their Carnaval, I'd have enjoyed it too.....It speaks volumes to me that the community would bring the Carny into town and that the Carny would make that effort....

P1030268

Burt was too damned quick to catch on camera but Lee, BGunn and chabon enjoyed the final stretch of dirt.....it's always shorter going out that it seems going in.....

P1030271

P1030272

P1030273

The worst tumble of the trip gets credited to chabon....I heard one of the other groups gave a daily "bone reward".....we just had the one for the entire trip......bruised ribs fo' sho'.....time for BBQ?

I shoulda woulda but couldn't jump in to pick him up but you can see how quickly Burt and Brad responded....

P1030269
Old 03-28-2014, 11:05 AM   #96
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

There was barrel gas available at the BOLA intersection and then we moved down the road, through Chapala and back in to the last bit of desert.....We had long ago replaced the KTM crankyshaft drive, the doubledoohickey rods and replaced the fuel injection with a reliable 25 mm carb.....still running in other words.....

P1030276

Don't go here, it's ugly and inhospitable....you won't like it....

P1030277

This is a momentous moment....true alliteration.....

Two of the best Baja characters remaining on the planet, Coco and Burt Gunn.....they have around 158 years of history between them.....or is it 159......they are just very, very cool......

P1030278
Old 03-28-2014, 11:13 AM   #97
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

The toilets weren't leaving but the bikes had to.....

P1030283

P1030282

There has been some discussion on another board about running a street moto through this stretch of road....if you air down and take it slow, I think a 2WD crate will do OK but I don't recommend taking a street moto with street rubber down it.....it's going to be paved soon enough to change that last bit of ruggedness and a different group of folks will be driving it......double edged sword that progress always entails....

P1030284

P1030286
Old 03-28-2014, 11:25 AM   #98
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

And speaking of the double edged sword.....as Burt later told me, for the guys who live in Yuma, when you get to the pavement, the horses can smell the barn and they make the run to it pretty quickly....

We got a bit discombobulated when I didn't get the memo to head to Alfonsino's but instead went and swept out the palapa. Truth be told, I'm not the biggest fan and still had a good dinner.....but.....

P1030291

The view and the solitude were not enough to keep me from unloading on chabon when he showed up before the rest of the gang.....

P1030288

P1030289

P1030290

Apologies for badmouthing the horse you rode in on........
Old 03-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #99
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

I always hear about how bad the Gonzaga wind is........and I've always had clear, calm days and nights there.......so my part of that Karma is good.....and that means that my early morning foraging for Ibu is also good for sunrise pics....

P1030294

P1030295

P1030296

No, I didn't want to leave.....so when we pulled out to the store for b'fast and discovered that Burt had suffered a pinch flat from the day before, I still held some hope that we'd get another night and day around San Felipe......

P1030300

P1030301

P1030302

But NO, that damned Brad is such a good son and tire changer that we were quickly back on the road and the horses could still smell the fresh hay in the barns.....

Oh well, as Fate, Karma and whatever other forces of nature (and of course the supernatural ones) would have it, it's a good thing we got back when we did.....................

P1030304

Assignment Baja Accomplished!!!

I had my 6 month follow up appointment with my neurosurgeon, another MRI and it turns out I rode Baja with another ruptured disc..........so go ahead and top that.......

And I wouldn't trade it for any of the other options available.....

In my deepest, Ahrnold impression.................I'LL BE BACK.......
Old 03-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #100
Mi Vale Madre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
ken thanks for the report and for officiating at the memorial for mike. you did an outstanding job BURT
Mi Vale Madre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:49 PM   #101
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi Vale Madre View Post
ken thanks for the report and for officiating at the memorial for mike. you did an outstanding job BURT

Mike....Mike...Mike

Good solid guy and rider. And always had/made some mighty fine wine! He will be sorely missed.

[IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[IMG][/URL][/IMG]
Old 03-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #102
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
As usual, I'm playing catch up with the report. Not able to add all the story line, so thanks to ken for the commentary. So here we go..... Heading out to Tortuga, salt flats, deserted paved road, washboard gravel, all good.

IMGP0791

IMGP0792

We like Curvas Peligrosas!

IMGP0796

Cant remember name of hotel, but you can't miss it, everything about it is 'pink'

IMGP0797

Motel Rendon, I stand corrected. Its right across from the Moroccan Resturant

IMGP0798

No paved roads in this town. A couple of car washes, but why?

IMGP0800

IMGP0801

A bunch of people, lots of nice trucks, looks like the fishery (cannery?) is abandoned.

IMGP0803

IMGP0802

The carnival was setting up down there on the right. They must have taken a beating on the washboard road.

IMGP0804

Tasted a lot better than it looks....

IMGP0809

Mike has a view of the bay, the bay he never got to. Now he doesnt have to leave... nice spot, nice view, via con dios buddy.

IMGP0811

The traditional 'Let's Go' breakfast.

IMGP0813

IMGP0814

Previous picture is the last one I got before getting to Gonzaga Bay. You see, as I was mounting the bike (horse style) my leg got caught on my gear and I couldn't get on or off. I high sided myself at a complete standstill. You know the debate about wearing a SPOT on your body or bike. Well I decided to start wearing it on my forearm pocket.

As I was body slammed from standing on my pegs I landed with my arm under my chest. The combination of the SPOT and my arm &$(#%^ my ribs big time! I knew as soon as it happened something wasn't right. Adreniline got me the next 300 miles, 50 of it dirt and washboard.

Got to give Walrus credit for the pain he had been going through the whole trip. What a couple of geezers, and the guys 20 years older could out ride, out drink, and under sleep us with no problem!
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #103
chabon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Make it to Gonzaga and get a palapa and some dinner (sorry ken).

IMGP0818

IMGP0819

IMGP0821

Not very crowded...

IMGP0822

Take some Vicodin and get a little sleep. I think I made a lot of noise everytime I tried to move. I'm sure some of you guys have messed up your ribs and know what I mean.

This is the last picture I took. Battery died. The tire change and off we went.

IMGP0823

300 miles to Yuma then another 400 miles home from there in the pickup. 700 long miles and I was home. Great trip, great guys, I'm ready to go again.
Chabón - F650 Funduro - WR250X
chabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:43 PM   #104
Bgunn
Mucha distancia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
P1030300

4 trips to Mexico over the winter came in handy. With the extra pounds, the foot bead breaker just keeps getting better.

Good times...I'll be back
Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #105
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Quote:
It is my belief no man ever understands quite his own artful dodges to escape from the grim shadow of self-knowledge.

The question is not how to get cured, but how to live.

Joseph Conrad (1857 – 1924)
Thanks to everyone for the positive vibes. And another cudo to the resident unofficial Ortho consult, it really meant a lot to me, my understanding and my outlook.....

I had another successful microdiscectomy (different disc) yesterday afternoon and have my mobility back. I just need to be patient and heal, no new restrictions after 4-6 months so keep the rubber side down and let's plan another fall ride.....