Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #16
RCmoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
simple, ride a stock bike, then back-to-back ride the same make/model that has upgraded suspension
RCmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #17
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
I will try to be somewhat short, but we are suppose to get a foot of snow tonight so.....

When speaking of "handling" other terms commonly used are "maneuverability" and stability.

Maneuverability,Handling : describe the motorcycles ability to perform complex maneuvers and also how hard it is for the rider to perform them.

Stability: Is the motorcycles ability to maintain equilibrium to outside forces.

How do we define these aspects? Well things start to get a little varied depending on whom you talk to. But there are certain tests that are somewhat universal in nature between companies.

1) Steady Turning Test: Basically you will ride around a cone in a circle or some known mark at a steady speed. steering effort can be gauged to see how "easily" the vehicle follows the intended trajectory and what input is needed from the rider to maintain course. Measured values are steering torque and driver lean angles. Radius of curvature and speed are maintained.

2) U Turn Test: Just a the title states, This test will set up a "U' corner of known radius. Steering torque is measured to see what inputs it takes to lean a motorcycle from the vertical position. A highly maneuverable bike will take little torque to roll and also to upright. The roll accelerations can also be measured.

3) Slalom Testing:: Again as it sounds the motorcycle is put through a series of cones or marks in a slalom condition. Steering torques, roll accelerations and yaw acceleration can all be gathered to determine the bikes ability to change course quickly with minimal input.

Other tests that frequently come up are obstacle avoidance testing and additionally lane change maneuvers, again similar data is gathered for roll and yaw accelerations and torque inputs required to execute these maneuvers.

I know, Too long didn't read

This is how I have evaluated vehicle handling working as an engineer.
oldschoolsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #18
oldschoolsk8ter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
ohh i forgot to add that a very concise book about any of this is called,

Motorcycle Dynamics by Vittore Cossalter. This has been my "desk reference" for the last couple years.
oldschoolsk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #19
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
You should try actually riding sometime.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #20
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,011
If you can hold a beer and not spill to much I would say that waz good handling.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:25 PM   #21
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCmoto View Post
simple, ride a stock bike, then back-to-back ride the same make/model that has upgraded suspension

How can you tell if the suspension is upgraded?

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:52 AM   #22
JohnCW
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyo View Post
flickability?
stability ?
ride ?
traction?
effort ?
Just about any bike will handle ok when everything is going to plan. It's at high speed the road goes to crap, or you stuff up a corner big time, that's how I judge handling. How the bike responses to an unplanned event when the stakes are high.
JohnCW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #23
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Less pucker marks.....
Succinct!
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #24
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,756
Depends on how you need the vehicle to handle. Kind of why different types of bikes have different types of geometry and such.

Lots of turns requiring quick flickability will have sportbikes - or better yet - supermoto/dual sports as good handling.

Long vast expanses of blacktop calling for great stability to maintain direction meandering to the sunset will have the relaxed geometry of a cruiser or tourer as good handling.

Personal preference makes a difference too. Some guys have a tough time dealing with a quick steering bike others don't. I personally prefer quick handling. So what I consider good handling others might see as too unstable.

Good handling is mostly perception to the individual. If it was real and car tires actually did handle good you'd see them or some version there of on sport bikes and road racers. (Had to toss that in... )

Kind of like one friend of mine says, the best touring bike - FZR750, best sportbike - FZR750, best cruiser - FZR750... I think you catch his drift, along with what bike he owned.

Reality isn't quite so forgiving. After all, we do know a motorcycle with a car tire isn't the best handling motocrosser - for sure!

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #25
Proveick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 970
A 500 lb bike that feels like a 300 lb bike.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:30 AM   #26
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCW View Post
Just about any bike will handle ok when everything is going to plan. It's at high speed the road goes to crap, or you stuff up a corner big time, that's how I judge handling. How the bike responses to an unplanned event when the stakes are high.
I always liked my motard type bike for this reason. All the times I messed up a corner I was still able to make corrections and keep from crashing.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #27
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,832
Quote:
flickability?
stability ?
ride ?
traction?
effort ?

me thinks it means many different things depending on who you are talking to and what type of riding
In dirt, not bucking the rider off can be important too.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #28
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalePhase View Post
How can you tell if the suspension is upgraded?

It handles nice.
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #29
groundhogday
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Holding a line over bumps is pretty important, one of the most important traits for safety and confidence.
groundhogday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:32 AM   #30
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,899
Quote:
flickability?
stability ?
ride ?
traction?
effort ?

me thinks it means many different things depending on who you are talking to and what type of riding
Lee Parks says "Controlled and plush."

...But most riders are unwilling to spend the $1,000 to $3,000 for the necessary hardware, even or even especially on bikes that cost over $10,000 to begin with. The showa rear shock on the Tiger 1050 was terrible.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 03-14-2014 at 12:41 AM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote