Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2014, 01:46 AM   #61
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120

Let's try to put the kind of tire a car tire would be replacing on that bike.

If Metzeler Marathon 880's are so good, how come they don't use them in racing?

I don't see anyone being flamed for using Bridgestone Exedras, though their compound is made up of more concrete than rubber.

With a car tire you don't have to use a rock hard tire to get good tire mileage, like you have to when using M/C touring tires.
ErikDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:00 AM   #62
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikDK View Post

Let's try to put the kind of tire a car tire would be replacing on that bike.

If Metzeler Marathon 880's are so good, how come they don't use them in racing?

I don't see anyone being flamed for using Bridgestone Exedras, though their compound is made up of more concrete than rubber.

With a car tire you don't have to use a rock hard tire to get good tire mileage, like you have to when using M/C touring tires.
Gee, you're right. That's kind of why I say I would definitely consider using a car tire when it was all about straight line wear.

But when someone says a car tire can lean with the bike tire, I ask at the same speeds in the same corners?

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:07 AM   #63
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Still the handling of the Wing with the car tire seems quite good for touring, which was what I took to be the point. It is hardly reasonable to expect a heavy touring motorcycle with a car tire to be in the same performance class as the canyon carvers.

I took it for what RandyO is always claiming - a car tire will lean and handle with a motorcycle tire. At low enough speeds that is true, but pick it up enough and it isn't. Until I see a car tire on a bike running as hard with the same kind of lap times as the same bike with a bike tire - even a hard touring tire - I will not believe it.

Like I said, I noticed in the video that no one was really trying to run away. If they had, my money would be on the sport or supermoto riders. Clearly in switch backs they could motor away without effort, part of that being in the fact that it was a Wing and won't do switch backs as quickly and easily. I could ride my Wing hard enough to stay with my buddies on their VFRs and 600s when riding casually, but I knew very well - they could leave me in the dust if they wanted. I am a realist in that sense, I even had more sporting tires with sizes to make for quicker handling too.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:30 AM   #64
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by markk53 View Post
ntil I see a car tire on a bike running as hard with the same kind of lap times as the same bike with a bike tire - even a hard touring tire - I will not believe it. .
https://www.youtube.com/user/ba3kaol...uery=gold+wing
ErikDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #65
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
When they stop trying to spit me off,
I'm getting closer! :)