ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #16
iBiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Camping: Cranberry Glades - Holly River State Park - Tygart Lake State Park

Roads: US 20 - US 119 - US 60 - US 220 - US 219 - RT2 - RT7 - RT5

Good Eats: Cottage Corner Too (Salem) - Fairfield Diner US 50/Snowbird Rd - Purple Fiddle (Thomas) - Jerry's (Grafton) - Biggie's (Grafton) - Exxon Station @Cool Springs

Plenty more placeys here and theref

iBiker screwed with this post 03-13-2014 at 11:53 PM
iBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 05:03 AM   #17
dddd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 445
Sleep in Luray (A), see the caverns.
Visit the GreenBank telescope in C, the largest articulated radio telescope in the world.
D-E is not for sport, but quiet and nice ride in the wood.
F-G is not that bad.
I cannot compare to other roads around, I only rode those, but I was not disappointed of any.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...,4,6,7&t=p&z=8
dddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #18
Patch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Great info everyone - Thanks!

dddd - great map, I have been adjusting my plan to add in routes suggested here from all and I'm sure glad I have several days!!

Keep the info coming!! Whats your 'can't miss' roads?
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #19
StorckWhip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Great info everyone - Thanks!

dddd - great map, I have been adjusting my plan to add in routes suggested here from all and I'm sure glad I have several days!!

Keep the info coming!! Whats your 'can't miss' roads?
I'd deposit my .02 on Routes 39 and 50. I've ridden 50 on multiple occasions across WV beginning at Winchester (VA) ending at I-79. Beautiful and enjoyable but not nearly as excellent as Rt 39. I ran 39 from Goshen Pass in VA all the way to the end and it was awesome. Truly an excellent road with a nice mix of everything I love about riding (except the mile long train of Harleys going 10 under that I dispatched over three of the plentiful/generous passing zones).

Also, I did the route from outside of Harrisonburg to Seneca Rocks last fall in my Miata. My wife took video of us running the big mountain pass and it was hilarious to hear her grunting and laughing as she held herself and the phone up against the cornering forces. One of my favorite miata roads ever.
StorckWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #20
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 231
WV Roads

Teufel's giving you some good suggestions. Don't forget WV 150 Highland Scenic Hwy., Route 28, and VA 55 West from Front Royal to get you started.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #21
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by StorckWhip View Post
I'd deposit my .02 on Routes 39 and 50. I've ridden 50 on multiple occasions across WV beginning at Winchester (VA) ending at I-79. Beautiful and enjoyable but not nearly as excellent as Rt 39. I ran 39 from Goshen Pass in VA all the way to the end and it was awesome. Truly an excellent road with a nice mix of everything I love about riding (except the mile long train of Harleys going 10 under that I dispatched over three of the plentiful/generous passing zones).

Also, I did the route from outside of Harrisonburg to Seneca Rocks last fall in my Miata. My wife took video of us running the big mountain pass and it was hilarious to hear her grunting and laughing as she held herself and the phone up against the cornering forces. One of my favorite miata roads ever.
My wife made one trip with me across 33 in my Acura, and then make me take a different road home

Rt 50 right now looks like it has been under artillery fire for a month, so far it has cost my son a wheel on his new car.
It's a disaster.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #22
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,479
I'm not going to be much help if you are set on riding in West Virginia but I thought I'd put my two cents in anyway.

I grew up and live in the Tazewell area. I learned years ago to never go north into West Virginia. Don't get me wrong. There's some nice places to ride in WVA, I just can't find any I like near Tazewell.

I always go south to hit the ridges and valleys. You get to switch between curvy mountain roads and long fast valley straights.

This is my favorite route for a day ride starting at Tazewell.

It goes from Tazewell to Paint Bank in Craig county and back. It's all pavement although the road conditions will vary from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Some images from past rides:

View from State Route 16 near Tazewell.

On 42 between Bland and Poplar Hill.

On 42 between Newport and New Castle

View from Potts Mountain on State Road 311.

General store at Paint Bank.

State Road 600 a few miles south of Paint Bank.

On 61 between Rocky Gap and Tazewell

If you're interested and want some more info, let me know.

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 08:26 AM   #23
Patch OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post
Rt 50 right now looks like it has been under artillery fire for a month, so far it has cost my son a wheel on his new car.
It's a disaster.
Damn ... looks that way up here too. Hoping for resurfacing early - not just shitty patch jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumperpilot View Post
I'm not going to be much help if you are set on riding in West Virginia but I thought I'd put my two cents in anyway.

This is my favorite route for a day ride starting at Tazewell.

Thanks Thumper Pilot - looks like a great run, and I'll add it to my plan.

I should have mentioned that I'm meeting a friend in Marion,VA for the Backroads Spring Fling - so we have a few days in southern (western?) VA beforehand. He's been a few times before so I left the VA part to him but this look like a great ride. After the Backroads ride, I'll be heading to WV for a few days, then back home. Trying to get the best of both while down there!
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #24
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,543
They will repave some of it, but it is normally shitty patch jobs.

Ride it tho, it will be fixed enough by then to be good riding.
WVhillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote