Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2014, 07:15 AM   #31
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,218
Dude, solve the mystery. Check the part number on the cluster. http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/?gcl...FYZAMgodsx0ArA
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:18 AM   #32
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Dude, solve the mystery. Check the part number on the cluster. http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/?gcl...FYZAMgodsx0ArA
I'd just ask any local Yamaha dealer if that dash was ever an option.
Since the bike revs out to more then this dash can indicate, I'm sticking with a no.

That dash did NOT exist when the FZ6 S2 came out!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:16 PM   #33
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
ok, i have not checked the part number yet (i will) or asked a dealer, but my mind has been put partially at ease by a trip to my local motorcycle shop

the guy looked at the tach and just sort of shrugged and said "could be an overseas bike, out of state bike," etc. or of course the cluster could have been replaced? but after an inspection of the bike he was confident of its low mileage and good condition and said the bike "needs nothing but a set of tires." which i will get from him for $240, installed. i think they are value oriented Continentals but they gotta be better then the several year old OEM's currently on the bike. he also recommended some $380 Bridgestone something or others, but since it is my first set for the bike i am going with the "cheaper chicken" for now

anyway the gauge cluster is not as big an issue for me now that the bike has checked out well, is registered in my name, and is running like a top. however i am still curious and am going to find out about it one way or another!!

plus i had it up to 10,000rpm today in first and second gear. felt pretty natural, only a matter of time until i accidentally bump up against the limiter and see where the rpms stop

oh, but a 78hp FZ6 rather then the 98hp version, as Cortez suggest? i think i'd rather have the 98hp version WITH a switched cluster!!
Old 03-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #34
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
ok, i have not checked the part number yet (i will) or asked a dealer, but my mind has been put partially at ease by a trip to my local motorcycle shop

the guy looked at the odo and just sort of shrugged and said "could be an overseas bike, out of state bike," etc. or of course the odod could have been replaced but after an inspection of the bike he was confident of its low mileage and good condition and said the bike "needs nothing but a set tires." which i will get from him for $240, installed. i think they are value oriented Continentals but they gotta be better then the several year old OEM's currently on the bike. he also recommended some $380 Bridgestone something or others, but since it is my first set for the bike i am going with the "cheaper chicken" for now

anyway the gauge cluster is not as big an issure for me now that the bike has checked out well, is registered in my name, and is running like a top. however i am still curious and am going to find out about it one way or another!!

plus i had it up to 10,000rpm today in first and second gear. felt pretty natural, only a matter of time until i accidentally bump up against the limiter and see where the rpms stop
Sheesh man, just slowly accelerate up to the limiter in first - no drama.
Also, I'M OVERSEAS, there never was this instrument cluster on this bike, 100%.

And yeah, get rid of the old tires ASAP.
I got mine with Dunlop Qualifiers at around 75%, wore them out in a few months (too soft),
replaced with Metzeler Z6, very happy. Both of those are very cheap.

Cheap bridgestones are probably the letfover BT023s.
Some people like them, I'm not too thrilled, but again, everything is better then what you have now.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 03-23-2014, 09:25 PM   #35
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

ok, ok. i will take it to the redline, slowly

just seems so weird still. and its so loud, or seems to be. but i am getting used to it, and riding the bike very well imo after just 1200 miles or so. seems very natural to me, now. the speed is getting easier, and the revs are not as dramatic

will report back as soon as i get more balls
Old 03-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #36
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
ok, ok. i will take it to the redline, slowly

just seems so weird still. and its so loud, or seems to be. but i am getting used to it, and riding the bike very well imo after just 1200 miles or so. seems very natural to me, now. the speed is getting easier, though. and the revs are not as dramatic.

will report back as soon as i get some balls
We're on 3rd page here, GROW A PAIR already.

Besides, if you had it at 10k in 2nd, that's faster then redline in 1st!
Just don't hold it wide open, it will reach redline at half throttle too.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:28 PM   #37
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks for those tips, really helps. tomorrow it gets done. will post back to say what the bike did or didn't do, and at what rpm
Old 03-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #38
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeclone View Post
thanks for those tips, really helps. Tomorrow it gets done. Will post back to say what the bike did or didn't do, and at what rpm
go!

Old 03-24-2014, 04:02 AM   #39
bracky72
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 905
You could also rev it in your driveway if that's going to answer the riddle.
bracky72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #40
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
I've never took that long to hit a redline.
wvtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:39 PM   #41
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtaco View Post
I've never took that long to hit a redline.
I did it on my 2nd ride on my first 72hp bike.
First piece of empty road.

And it's an engine that revs out to 11k but loses poke at 8500-9000, so
it's pointless, but I wanted to try it.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #42
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
go!
ok Cortez, I went!!

firstly let me say this bike is plenty FAST! i have not had a "top end" run yet but am not a top speed rider so most likely never will. i was at 80mph in second gear last night (pretty sure) and it got there quick. it was at 90mph soon after. this thing hits 100mph like its nothing!!

that said, there is no doubt. i took it to redline today (12,000-13,000rpm on my bike) in second gear and it bounced off the limiter at just over 12,000rpm. so essentially 12,000rpm but its hard to tell exactly where as the needle just bounces around a bit

so, what gives? i may have a 78HP FZ6, thats what!!

still fast as hell though, and i'll take on any 98hp FZ6 that has issue with that!!

until it pulls away at 14,000rpm, that is
Old 04-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #43
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

doh!

look here

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-p...hp-re-set.html

very interesting but i am just starting to read it so....maybe promising, maybe not

EDIT: BINGO!!!! check out this quote from a post on that page. a rider from California, where i am

Very interesting. Is there any specifics for the 07-09 s2 Cal version on this?? Or is this for FZ6's in general.

Could someone validate this?

I just looked over my bike. As best as I can tell the throttle wheel has a very similar metal piece, what looks to prevent throttle roll. In light of my second or third dyno w/aftermarket exhaust. A shop had already mentioned the very topic, and that they would check for final Dyno

DudeClone screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 03:08 PM
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #44
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

ok, this is all very interesting and i am trying to understand it as i read on. as someone posted in that thread IF it is hitting redline at around 12,000rpm with some sort of mechanical "throttle limiter" not allowing WOT like the EU version of the bike, taking off the throttle limiter like some have done in the EU should do nothing as the bike still redlines at 12,000rpm because of ECU settings

honestly if all i am losing is some top end at WOT its ok. bike seems to have all the power it needs to 100mph and it cruises fine at 90mph with room to spare. if top end is only 130mph on this bike rather then the 155mph or so a 98hp bike hits, so be it

maybe....
Old 04-02-2014, 05:06 AM   #45
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
ok Cortez, I went!!

firstly let me say this bike is plenty FAST! i have not had a "top end" run yet but am not a top speed rider so most likely never will. i was at 80mph in second gear last night (pretty sure) and it got there quick. it was at 90mph soon after. this thing hits 100mph like its nothing!!

that said, there is no doubt. i took it to redline today (12,000-13,000rpm on my bike) in second gear and it bounced off the limiter at just over 12,000rpm. so essentially 12,000rpm but its hard to tell exactly where as the needle just bounces around a bit

so, what gives? i may have a 78HP FZ6, thats what!!

still fast as hell though, and i'll take on any 98hp FZ6 that has issue with that!!

until it pulls away at 14,000rpm, that is
Or the bike was crashed and your rev counter isn't indicating the revs
properly since it's the wrong one. What does your paperwork on bike
bike say? Our documents have the power listed in them.