ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 AM   #1
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Help Request - Short Notice

Hey fellow inmates,

I flew out to VA last week on a business trip. It was supposed to be a round trip flight, but I accidentally visited a KTM dealer yesterday.

So now, I need to see if there is someone in the area willing to help me out by meeting me at Dulles on Tuesday evening or Wednesday morning to pick me up, and give me a ride to to the Motorcycle Factory in Woodbridge, VA. Adult beverages of some form to be offered as payment for your kindness.

The second part of the request for help is to provide me with some perspective on my planned route as viewed through the collective prism of your (all y'all's) experience with weather, road conditions, traffic, construction, and most importantly, dirt and beauty this time of the year. I'm planning a route which will take me back to the mountains of Colorado via the following route;

Woodbridge, VA
Knoxville
Nashville
Memphis
Little Rock
Oklahoma City
Santa Fe
Denver

The weather is my biggest concern at this time of the year. From everything I can surmise after scraping around the web on various weather sites, the route I plan is about the furthest north I can run with a reasonable degree of confidence that I won't run into ice or snow. Even with that, it should be action packed with plenty of rain. I'm hoping for some dirt roads, passes, and beautiful scenery along the way!

I'd appreciate any comments from anyone that's done some derivation of this route to see whether I should modify it or possibly go further south for the trip.

Unfortunately, I don't have any of my personal gear for this trip. The dealer is EXCEPTIONALLY cool, and is loaning me a helmet, boots, and a jacket and gloves to get home. I'll be returning them via FEDEX once I get back to my own stuff. The downside of all this, is that when I need sleep, I don't have my own camping gear, so will need to find hotels enroute.

or ...

I hate to ask, but if any inmates along the general route either already planned, or eventually arrived at, have a couch I can crash on enroute, it would be much appreciated, generally manifested in the form of adult beverages of your choice (within reason - no Dom P).

Would really appreciate any feedback.

VMike
Vitruvian Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #2
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,851
If I were still living in Woodbridge I'd be happy to help you out, but I'm farther south in VA these days. I'd suggest posting up HERE to see if any of the NOVA guys would be able to help you out. We're supposed to get some weather coming in this evening/tomorrow, but I think as long as you stick to the major roads, you won't have any problems. I don't think I'd even go that far south to I-40; you're probably fine sticking with I-64/I-70 (or at least some roads that parallel it).

Congrats on the new bike (what did you get? ), and safe travels home.

PS. Not surprised to hear that the guys at MFI are hooking you up with gear to get home; they're top notch folks.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #3
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey man,

Thanks for the response. Saw it earlier, but was out and around, kind of pulling this while thing together with a few last minute items.

Thanks much for the link. I'll look in over there and see if anyone responds. Turns out, the weather has arrived. Really hoping the forecast for this to be mostly gone by Wednesday morning is correct. If I can dive out of here and get a few hundred miles south, I'll be good.

1190 R Adventure is the new iron. Smokin' deal, and at the price, almost too good to be true. Wish MFI were in my back yard for sure.

Cheers!
VM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
If I were still living in Woodbridge I'd be happy to help you out, but I'm farther south in VA these days. I'd suggest posting up HERE to see if any of the NOVA guys would be able to help you out. We're supposed to get some weather coming in this evening/tomorrow, but I think as long as you stick to the major roads, you won't have any problems. I don't think I'd even go that far south to I-40; you're probably fine sticking with I-64/I-70 (or at least some roads that parallel it).

Congrats on the new bike (what did you get? ), and safe travels home.

PS. Not surprised to hear that the guys at MFI are hooking you up with gear to get home; they're top notch folks.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #4
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,803
Ya know they are supposed to get up to 10 inches of snow tomorrow.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek

Right. About an inch on the ground already. Tuesday is supposed to be nice, and melt a lot off, and I'm hoping to leave late Tuesday, or Wednesday. If riding south doesn't work, I may try to hire a truck to get me sufficiently far south to be able to ditch the rental truck and ride from the "safe weather" point.

That was part of the decision process when I bought the bike yesterday. While I'm taking a gamble, I'm okay with it either way. I'd just like to get in a nice ride back to CO. Getting out of here will hopefully be the most tricky part.

Also, looking around at the states I'll be crossing to see if there are any bike events (races, ralleys, or general gatherings of misfits) along the way.

I'm hoping that ten inches of snow turns out to really be only about 3-5.

Cheers,
VM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker128pedal View Post
Ya know they are supposed to get up to 10 inches of snow tomorrow.

Vitruvian Mike screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 07:19 PM
Old 03-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #6
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Just a heads up to let you know that a buddy of mine in DC just posted up this morning that they got about 8" of snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
8" in DC, almost 2x what they predicted, was supposed to fly to sunny Sacramento later this AM...delayed now so will see about that
Down in Madison county where I live (about 1.5 to 2 hours south of DC) we got about 6".

Quote:
Hard to believe that just yesterday and the day before I was out riding on two wheels with friends. At least I'm warm and toasty inside, enjoying a good cup of Fox's Coffee!

Got about 6" here (give or take).

Don't know what time you're planning on getting on the road the day you pick up the bike, but there's a guest bedroom at my place if you don't feel like putting too many miles on the first day.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hey XC,

Departure time depends on delayed meetings, and whether the shop can get everything put on in time. Either later in the afternoon, or Wednesday morning.

I'm looking at the roads here in Fairfax, where we got around 10" total(, and that was a heavy 10" at that. If it had been light snow, it would have been 2 feet!), and thinking that considering the great job plowing by the county, I've ridden in much worse stuff than this. The county at least around here has kept the roads clear, and gobbed up with salt, mag chloride, and/or whatever else they put on the roads. Seems ridable-ish to me. Hoping to roll 175-200 miles out of the pocket to get some north behind me, and probably stop in Lexington, VA for the night. Then on to something like Smyrna, TN the following day.

Nothing is set in stone yet, but I really need to get south of here. Once I do that, the I'll be more comfortable on the road. Just don't want to get trapped by another weather event.

Super cool of you to offer up your guest room. That's the best thing about this forum. Most of the people are great stewards of the dream and the adventure.

Thanks again!
VM

Quote:
Just a heads up to let you know that a buddy of mine in DC just posted up this morning that they got about 8" of snow.

Down in Madison county where I live (about 1.5 to 2 hours south of DC) we got about 6".

Don't know what time you're planning on getting on the road the day you pick up the bike, but there's a guest bedroom at my place if you don't feel like putting too many miles on the first day.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talked with a few local riders I've met, and am going to take 81/64 south. Weather not cooperating, but that's fine. No adventure without challenges.

VM
Old 03-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #9
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,862
Don't know if you've a ride or not, but . . . I think airport shuttle service is available to Woodbridge from Dulles http://www.supershuttle.com/Location...ashington.aspx; taxis also: http://www.washfly.com/Taxi_rate.htm ($ 62 fare).

(Just a couple of possibilities; many more on Google.)

Certainly don't presume to commit Motorcycle Factory Incorporated, but . . . they might be willing to provide some transportation assistance.

Regardless, congratulations on the new bike, and bon voyage!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks. A friend gave me a ride from Dulles. MFI (Angel) were great, and their techs worked hard and got sll the junk on the bike for me. Angel even helped further by taking all my stuff over to my hotel so I could sort everything in the comfort of the hotel room rather than the darkness.

I got out of the ares today in a constant drizzle and falling temps, currently 35 here in Fredricksburg. I'm at Morton's working through a problem with the bike indicating an Outside Temperature Fault. Angel is talking with tech support on it.

The main issue right now is that I'd like to be riding with an accurate thermometer because of how close it is to turning from cold rain to freezing conditions. I can perceive snow, but the fine line between wet roads and black ice are better left to science.

Hope to be back on the road shortly.

Cheers!
VM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Don't know if you've a ride or not, but . . . I think airport shuttle service is available to Woodbridge from Dulles http://www.supershuttle.com/Location...ashington.aspx; taxis also: http://www.washfly.com/Taxi_rate.htm ($ 62 fare).

(Just a couple of possibilities; many more on Google.)

Certainly don't presume to commit Motorcycle Factory Incorporated, but . . . they might be willing to provide some transportation assistance.

Regardless, congratulations on the new bike, and bon voyage!
Old 03-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,050
Don't forget the Tent Space thread here. I've got a spot in Atlanta if you need anything. Good luck!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #12
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitruvian Mike View Post
I'm at Morton's working through a problem with the bike indicating an Outside Temperature Fault. Angel is talking with tech support on it.

Hope to be back on the road shortly.

Cheers!
VM
Hope you're back on the road and headed south. Temps & skies look much better for tomorrow and Friday!

Tonight
Fog 39 F
Fog
Tomorrow
Clear59 F
Clear
Tomorrow Night
Clear 33 F
Clear
Friday
Clear64 | 44 F
Clear
Saturday
Overcast70 | 38 F
Overcast
Sunday
Mostly Cloudy54 | 25 F
Mostly Cloudy

Offer for a place to crash about 50 minutes west of Fredericksburg still stand if you need it.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:05 PM   #13
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

PS, any pictures of the new ride yet?

Old 03-19-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi HG,
I'm holding a line northwest. Got out of Mortons with enough riding time to make It to Burlington NC. Found a KTM dealer in Mooresville, and will hit them when they open before rolling on.
Hopefully, they can replace the sensor. Appreciate the pointer and the offer.

Cheers!
VM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Don't forget the Tent Space thread here. I've got a spot in Atlanta if you need anything. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:19 PM   #15
Vitruvian Mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Those temps look pretty good!

The afternoon and evening we're much better riding after getting through the preponderance of all the rain. Having a little bit of dinner now wIll hopefully be able to get the bike fixed in the morning and keep going with no faults. Thanks for the Reply!

VM

Quote:
Hope you're back on the road and headed south. Temps & skies look much better for tomorrow and Friday!

Tonight
Fog 39 F
Fog
Tomorrow
Clear59 F
Clear
Tomorrow Night
Clear 33 F
Clear
Friday
Clear64 | 44 F
Clear
Saturday
Overcast70 | 38 F
Overcast
Sunday
Mostly Cloudy54 | 25 F
Mostly Cloudy

Offer for a place to crash about 50 minutes west of Fredericksburg still stand if you need it.