Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2005, 10:42 AM   #1
bigdagwood OP
Deedee Joe

Oddometer: 288
Question Successfully Lowered a 640 Adv?

I've performed searches and checked the forum index...can't seem to locate what I'm looking for:

How many folks out there run a lowered KTM 640 Adventure either through Emmig links/rebuilt shocks/replacement shocks/etc. What works to take an inch or so out of the bike? I'd combine that with a seat. I'm 5' 9.5" and getting shorter every day.

I really want to consider one of these bikes, but if turns out to be unmanageable then what...

I've seen some stuff relevant to pulling the forks up into the clamps w/ a cut down rear shock spring, but I think that was on a 950...

"it's like my bicycle...if you just keep going you stay upright!"
bigdagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76873
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87896
Old 09-13-2005, 11:30 AM   #3
foster
Huh?

Oddometer: 745
easy to lower a 640

Have same problem: 5'9" and getting older/shorter. Have '05 640 Adv that I lowered using Kouba links and moving the forks up. Worked well for me but planning to sell the bike and move to a more road-worthy steed. Have plans to list in Flea Market later today. PM me if interested. ALready lowered, Wings silencer, rejetted, canisterectomy, sidestand, airbox cover, etc. Ready to go.
foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
mars
Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscout
Have same problem: 5'9" and getting older/shorter. Have '05 640 Adv that I lowered using Kouba links and moving the forks up. Worked well for me but planning to sell the bike and move to a more road-worthy steed. Have plans to list in Flea Market later today. PM me if interested. ALready lowered, Wings silencer, rejetted, canisterectomy, sidestand, airbox cover, etc. Ready to go.

meet my friend Mr. Fontaine. he rode this bike all over mexico with me. he could effortlessly stand and wasnt top heavy like me.
mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
bigdagwood OP
Deedee Joe

Oddometer: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by fosterscout
I think we are almost "local"...PM'd you - bdagw

"it's like my bicycle...if you just keep going you stay upright!"
bigdagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:45 PM   #6
Reformed DucFlogger
Inventor Of The Wheel Mk2

Oddometer: 1,445
Easily...

...done.

Wife had hers lowered 2" - the limit of what I would do. Emig links and travel limiters in forks to keep everything symetrical. Also easily reversed if you want to sell bike later.Cost with labor was roughy US$500-600.

Dropping forks thru clamps will quicken the steering - possibly not where you want to go.

Couple of tricks:

1. Make sure it's a reputable suspension shop - don't wanted a screwed-up job or leaky forks afterwards.

2. Will need to have sidestand/centerstand (or both cut) shortened and re-welded afterwards. Trying to put bike on stock CS once it's been lowered is not fun.

3. You will lose some space between tire and fender, so may need to fiddle with rear preload if you're into the heavy stuff.

She has a 28" inseam and loves it. I have a 30" inseam and while on tips of toes on my 640 Adv, will likely get it lowered 1" to save on aggravation when commuting in stop & go traffic.

Great bikes - don't worry about lowering them. Any good dirtbike suspension shop can do it.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:14 PM   #7
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,160
You could always touch up the skills. Andrea Mayer was sponsored by KTM and BMW for many years to run their Rallye bikes thru the Dakar and she is around 5 foot tall...

On the bike (toe down):

Standing next to the bike (barely as tall as the fairing):

Check her out here:
http://www.andrea-mayer.de/

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:12 PM   #8
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,851
Mister BIG,
I stand 5'9.5 inches, 30 inch inseam. I weigh 150 lbs plus riding gear. Just did 4K miles, all types of roads, some very rough, on a new to me '02 640 Adventure lowered with Emig links 1 inch. Contrary to his advice the forks were slid up 1 inch in the triple clamps. I was fully loaded with KTM aluminum boxes and had an Ortleib bag full of gear on the back rack. I would estimate 60-75 lbs of bags and gear. Bars were raised 1 inch. Had a kickstand to get on and off. Centerstand was very difficult to use and required 2 people to raise the bike or removal of the bags, mask, seat and tank. The seat was a Renzaco with a leather cover. I say this about the bike.
I mostly stand/sit flat footed at rest/stopped.
I need a kickstand because I mount and dismount with the bike on the kickstand using the left footpeg. That is the only way I can easily mount/dismount.
I oil the chain by rolling the bike ahead.
You check oil carefully balancing the bike upright.
I rode heavily corrigated roads and the suspension packed on the standard settings. I used one click of compression dampning on the front forks, rebound was at lowest/least setting, for rebound the rear shock was turned off for compression and rebound. Hard to believe with all the weight but that was what gave me the plush ride. The bike did not bottom out. I did not jump it.
I never dropped the bike because of height or weight but it can be heavy coming off the kickstand to get it upright and ready to roll. You get more carefull of where your feet and wheels are.
The front tire was OEM, the rear was a Kenda knob or the stocker. The stocker made the ground closer.
I have 2 inch lowering links but havent tried them.
A full tank of gas does not seem to change the ride height much.
And finially.
The friggin bike is so good, looks good, handles good, is made of high quality parts all the way. It is a long wheelbase ride and wraps itself around you like like a long legged woman. It wants to go straight if you keep a little power on in sand or loose gravel. It turns fine but a little slow cause of the long wheelbase. The engine-power output is strong. When riding it feels light.
It sucks up bumps...and more bumps fully loaded. The brakes are wonderful and the front will probably do a stoppie. On the pavement it vibrates over 60mph but my hands did not go to sleep. It handles any road.
I have ordered a Throttlemeister and a Scotts steering dampner.
I believe it will make the best travel bike for second and third world travel in the world with those additions. That is my plan for it. I can live with it.
If you plan to use it for something else or dont have access to plenty of dual sport riding I cant vouche for it unless you plan to stay on secondary roads forever.
Bill Shockley, Tomahawk, WI
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:26 AM   #9
Droadnaegel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
I found the bike high too. Especially when you regularly stop and take the map out of your pocket it's very inconvenient standing on one toe.

So I put some Koubalinks on my bike. It lowers the bike quite a bit (About 4,5cm from memory.). But because I also changed to wheels for 19" and 17" the endresult was a pretty tiny bike. Therefore I replaced the Koubalinks for some custommade links, which only lowers the bike 2cm. Together with the smaller wheels the bike now has a nice height for me. If you keep the standard wheels you could try the Emig-links. Emig has two sizes. One of them lowers the bike less than the Koubalinks, the other more (if I remember correctly). Check their websites.

Btw. for reference: I'm 1,75m.
Droadnaegel is offline   Reply With Quote