User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Bmw f800gs, 2013 super tenere, triumph 800xc or ktm1190 adv

OK - I am really having Adventure bike withdrawls. In 2006 I sold my GS ADV. Fast forward a couple years and I picked up a 2007 Multistrada - I really loved both bikes - The GS was getting a bit heavy for me but the Multi was perfect. But the Multi lacked ABS - something I really want again. So here I am looking at the options today - pretty nice, but with choice comes confusion. I am not going Ducati Multi because new they are pretty expensive and maint costs are high.

I really like the new 800 GS ADV - With bags it will set me back about 17K plus some change.

The Triumph XC seams nice price with bags would be more like 13K but dealer network is thin but getting better - worried it may be too small but have not tested it yet (or any of these bikes for that matter)

2013 Super Ten can be had for under 11K new minus bags. Seems like they have a great rep for being very reliable and dealers are everywhere. Heard complaints about power but I am not sure that would be an issue my 2003 GS was only 85 stock and I was very happy with the bike.

The KTM seems amazing on paper, but is harder to get the hens teeth and again dealer network is thin

All four bikes have ABS and Traction Control. The GS has Electronic Suspension as does the KTM. None in the list have Cruise - Darn as I get older I really find Cruise important. Throttle locks are OK but it is hard to beat cruise.

So here are some questions that may help me narrow the choice:

1. First I am 5' 11" with a 35" inseam - I like room to stretch on a bike so which of these bike would be best for a long legged girl.

2. Most of my riding will be burning rubber on back roads not dirt roads. I do want the ability to go off but truth is that time will be much smaller compared to back road touring. So which bike would be the most comfy for doing road miles?

3. Can cruise be added to any of these bikes without much trouble or huge expense?

4. Range between fill ups really is nice. My GS was an easy 250 often more before thinking about gas. So which of these has the best real world range.

5. The new 2014 Super 10 looks like it has added cruise, power and electronic suspension for just a bit more then the 800 GS Adv. Worth a wait or save 5 k and get a 13?

6. Am I missing a bike I should be looking at.

A little bit more about me that may help. When I rode with friends they always wanted to run 90 on the interstate, I was happy at 75 to 80. Get us in the mountains and the table was flipped I loved to fly through the curves and was always way ahead of the pack, stopping and waiting for them to catch up. Also in 3 years on my GS I rode over 5OK. Hope that helps.

Thanks for help and input.
Ivana Ridealot
Colorado Bryee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
if it must be one of these bikes, 1190 it should be.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,497
1200 Tiger?

I'm a pretty short guy and althought the 800GS is a bit too tall, to me, they feel like a fairly compact dirt bike (I almost bought the street version before my wife converted that money into a car). I think that is a better offroad bike to met than most, with the thinner seat and more dirt bike ergos.
John Ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
pluric
Banned

Oddometer: 16,362
I have the Tenere and have been really happy with it. Then I rode an 1190. All I can say is WOW!

As you mentioned hard to find. I'm still a little leery of overall KTM maintenance and dependability
but that bike is amazing.

If your GS started to feel heavy to you the Tenere will not be a cure for that. Bullet proof and takes
a little time to grow on you.

I also have tried the 800. Felt cramped to my 32 inch inseam. Fun, fun motor.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #5
MitchG
Iron Collector

Oddometer: 453
Want pluric said! ST is by far the best, especially at the fire sale prices that the 2013 are going for. Just gota accept the weight and learn to live with it.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

Cool2 KTM - and GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I have the Tenere and have been really happy with it. Then I rode an 1190. All I can say is WOW!

As you mentioned hard to find. I'm still a little leery of overall KTM maintenance and dependability
but that bike is amazing.

If your GS started to feel heavy to you the Tenere will not be a cure for that. Bullet proof and takes
a little time to grow on you.

I also have tried the 800. Felt cramped to my 32 inch inseam. Fun, fun motor.
My GS was a 2003 and adv model. The weight when fueled was very high on the bike - my issue mostly around town not when riding. So do you think the super ten is as top heavy as the older GS adv - if so that would be a game changer.

All I read about the KTM is WOW. Not sure on reliability issue either. There bikes do well being thrashed in Dakar (no GS) some Yameers though. So I think the engine is OK other stuff time will tell. I wish I could find one to test ride.

I was afraid the 800xc would be a little small.

Thanks for input tough call. I think I would be happy with any of them.

Oh one more thing I forgot - shaft drive only super ten has it in the group I am looking at nice to not have to worry about belts or chains.
Ivana Ridealot
Old 03-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #7
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Oddometer: 631
Another vote for the S10.

KTM- Questionable reliability, but that engine is a hoot!
800XC- On paper, its perfect. But there's just something about it that I dont like (other than the EXTREMELY close gearing).
F800GSA- Its buzzy, but fun. But Id rather have the Triumph 800 over it. Im just F***ING sick and tired of getting raped from BMW services. ($700-$1000 per 6k service?!?!?! FML!!!)
Yamaha Super Tenere- Yeah, she's a heavy bike. But I only felt the heft when I was moving it around the dealer floor. Once you get going, all that weight goes away, and it feels lighter than a comparable GSW. And yes... STONE DEAD RELIABLE!!!

I gotta sell the MegaMoto and buy a Super Tenere. Ill miss the MM, but I think that'll all go away as soon as I take the Tenere offroad.
08 MegaMoto #99529 For sale. PM for details.
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #8
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJustin View Post
Another vote for the S10.

KTM- Questionable reliability, but that engine is a hoot!
800XC- On paper, its perfect. But there's just something about it that I dont like (other than the EXTREMELY close gearing).
F800GSA- Its buzzy, but fun. But Id rather have the Triumph 800 over it. Im just F***ING sick and tired of getting raped from BMW services. ($700-$1000 per 6k service?!?!?! FML!!!)
Yamaha Super Tenere- Yeah, she's a heavy bike. But I only felt the heft when I was moving it around the dealer floor. Once you get going, all that weight goes away, and it feels lighter than a comparable GSW. And yes... STONE DEAD RELIABLE!!!

I gotta sell the MegaMoto and buy a Super Tenere. Ill miss the MM, but I think that'll all go away as soon as I take the Tenere offroad.
So is the 800 GS as bad as the 1200 GS for service. What is the service interval of these bikes - pretty sure GS is 6k but not sure on the others.
Ivana Ridealot
Old 03-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,447
Consider the motor and associated buzz of the F800GS if your rides take you on long stretches of freeway/highway. I think the KTM makes a lot of sense given what you've described, or even a base model GSW (or a used one).

Best success,

oalvarez screwed with this post 03-16-2014 at 09:42 PM
oalvarez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:22 PM   #10
ViperJustin
Back in school...

Oddometer: 631
I'm not familiar with the F800 maintenance schedules. My views are based off of my test ride (about an hour) and my last two bmws and their costs.
08 MegaMoto #99529 For sale. PM for details.
ViperJustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #11
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
I've owned a 800XC and now have a Super Tenere and a BMW F800GT.
In terms of reliability, and cost/ease of maintenance it the Yamaha all the way. Shaft drive is a good good thing, no chain lube, no chain adjustment, no lube splattered on the bike or rider. A recent Consumer Reports customer survey shows Yamaha to be the most reliable motorcycle with BMW being 6 times more likely to have an issue then Yamaha. BMW wa at the bottom of the list along with H-D. That is also my experience over many many years of riding all brands, and Yamaha Customer Support has been outstanding.

I live in Florida and found the Triumph 800XC put out a lot of engine heat, seems all their triples do, it was a problem for me.

The new Honda CB500X is getting great reviews and might be something you should consider.

The "power issue" with the Super Tenere is a fuel/engine management issue a that is cured with a $450 reflash of the ECU. Top end cruising speed is not affected. Symptoms include a hesitation off idle and a power reduction in the first 3 gears. My '12 has had the reflash( hell, it's only money) and I very happy with the results. I've ridden a friends new '13 w/o the reflash and it seemed to be much improved over the stock '12. If I had a'13 I'd not bother with the reflash.

1st major service with a valve check/adj. on the Super Tenere is at 26K miles, it's a PITA and will take several hours.

"13 vs "14, depends how important cruise control is to you as the basic '14 will have it. Of course ES will also be available on the pricier model.

Yamaha also has an extended warranty program the allows you to purchase an extended warranty, in increments of a year, for a total of 6 years. I rarely keep a bike for more then 2 years but had I purchased the extended warranty the Yamaha would be a keeper. I will get a '14 later this year with the extended warranty... I really really like this bike!
Paul

Paul

Roadscum screwed with this post 03-17-2014 at 09:02 AM
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Ktm
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Bryee View Post

All four bikes have ABS and Traction Control.

The tiger doesn't have TC.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
NSpooner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I'm kind of going through the same process. I think if I felt I could trust the KTM not to break I would go with that, but I am leaning towards the Yamaha myself. I will be putting on some fairly big miles and mostly on the road so I want something dead reliable. I need to find a S10 to test ride though first, but it's hard to ignore the killer deals on them.
NSpooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #15
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,710
Rumor is KTM may be adding cruise control to the 2015 1190 Adventure. Not sure if you can wait that long. I'm kind of in the same boat as well. I want to trade in my 2011 1200GSA for something comparable in engine size, but needs to be water cooled since I've had overheating problems when commuting in traffic in the summer. These bikes are supposed to be able to travel around the world, yet I have to turn it off when stuck in traffic in the summer. I'm leaning towards the 2014 S10 because of the cruise control, but I do like the lighter weight and horsepower of the 1190 Adventure R. I had F650GS (798cc) twin about 3 years ago and traded it in 2 months later for the GSA because it wasn't enjoyable riding on the highway. I am a big fan of the shaft drive because I ride everyday 365 days a year so the less maintenance for me, the better and that's kind of why the S10 is tipping the scales because I want a reliable bike for commuting and long distance touring.
IBA #50489
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote