ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2014, 05:46 AM   #31
Rubberlegs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
One more vote for the tiger

A very very good bike
Rubberlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:15 AM   #32
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
Just don't test ride the 1190 unless you really are considering one...
This!

I'm at home on dirt and offroad, but I really got the 1190 Adv for sport touring. The electronics are amazing. Gets 41 mpg with gobi bags attached, low fuel warning at 200 miles with 1.1 gal left in the 6 gal tank.

The pipes wrap around under the motor, so yes it does put off some heat while sitting.

Really wish they would have put CC, but these guys think racing and their country is small.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #33
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The tiger doesn't have TC.
I've noticed this several times when glancing at my Tiger speedo on dirt roads. Under full throttle it will read 90+mph, when in actuality the bike is only doing 60 something... with a huge dirt rooster tail filling the mirrors. If this trait scares you, don't buy a Tiger. The Tenere I rode didn't have this alarming tendency and I found it rather dull on dirt. That and the huge weight disparity.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #34
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I've noticed this several times when glancing at my Tiger speedo on dirt roads. Under full throttle it will read 90+mph, when in actuality the bike is only doing 60 something... with a huge dirt rooster tail filling the mirrors.
I've noticed this also. It's great fun, and something I had previously only really played with on my TE610.

For DS rides, it's great to drop over the crest of a hill, so the rider behind can't see what you are up to, and create a huge dust cloud for them to ride through.

Sometimes, they never seem to catch on.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #35
NickBrewer3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
I've noticed this several times when glancing at my Tiger speedo on dirt roads. Under full throttle it will read 90+mph, when in actuality the bike is only doing 60 something... with a huge dirt rooster tail filling the mirrors. If this trait scares you, don't buy a Tiger. The Tenere I rode didn't have this alarming tendency and I found it rather dull on dirt. That and the huge weight disparity.
Just curious, but are you saying that the speedo drive on the Tiger is off the rear wheel? Most of the motorcycles I am familiar with take the speedo reading from the front wheel....
NickBrewer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 AM   #36
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBrewer3 View Post
Just curious, but are you saying that the speedo drive on the Tiger is off the rear wheel? Most of the motorcycles I am familiar with take the speedo reading from the front wheel....
On the ABS equipped bikes, the speedo reading is taken from the rear wheel ABS sensor ring.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #37
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
When I get on the power hard on dirt roads, my Tenere hooks up and the GPS says 85mph, which is scary in its own way.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #38
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
1190 -- the cost won't probably be much less than Ducati's, but you get a more versatile bike and comparable power.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:26 PM   #39
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Without knowing how the purchaser ranks power, weight, reliability, price, electronic rider aids, roominess, comfort, luggage and aftermarket support, we're all just blowing smoke at this point.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #40
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodtja View Post
Without knowing how the purchaser ranks power, weight, reliability, price, electronic rider aids, roominess, comfort, luggage and aftermarket support, we're all just blowing smoke at this point.
Isn't that the purpose of any advice thread?
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #41
VStromNC
DNS/DNF

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Bryee View Post

All four bikes have ABS and Traction Control. The GS has Electronic Suspension as does the KTM. None in the list have Cruise - Darn as I get older I really find Cruise important. Throttle locks are OK but it is hard to beat cruise.

Thanks for help and input.
I can't confirm either way as not a GS owner. I recently attended Daytona BW and happened to be talking to a new owner of a 2014? WC 1200 GS and he saw my Audiovox Cruise Control on my Vee and he told me that his bike was also equipped with standard electronic cruise. He showed me this switch pack on the left side that controlled all his electronics including his cruise.

Jon
Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM   #42
mountianman
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Bryee View Post
OK - I am really having Adventure bike withdrawls. In 2006 I sold my GS ADV. Fast forward a couple years and I picked up a 2007 Multistrada - I really loved both bikes - The GS was getting a bit heavy for me but the Multi was perfect. But the Multi lacked ABS - something I really want again. So here I am looking at the options today - pretty nice, but with choice comes confusion. I am not going Ducati Multi because new they are pretty expensive and maint costs are high.

I really like the new 800 GS ADV - With bags it will set me back about 17K plus some change.

The Triumph XC seams nice price with bags would be more like 13K but dealer network is thin but getting better - worried it may be too small but have not tested it yet (or any of these bikes for that matter)

2013 Super Ten can be had for under 11K new minus bags. Seems like they have a great rep for being very reliable and dealers are everywhere. Heard complaints about power but I am not sure that would be an issue my 2003 GS was only 85 stock and I was very happy with the bike.

The KTM seems amazing on paper, but is harder to get the hens teeth and again dealer network is thin

All four bikes have ABS and Traction Control. The GS has Electronic Suspension as does the KTM. None in the list have Cruise - Darn as I get older I really find Cruise important. Throttle locks are OK but it is hard to beat cruise.

So here are some questions that may help me narrow the choice:

1. First I am 5' 11" with a 35" inseam - I like room to stretch on a bike so which of these bike would be best for a long legged girl.

2. Most of my riding will be burning rubber on back roads not dirt roads. I do want the ability to go off but truth is that time will be much smaller compared to back road touring. So which bike would be the most comfy for doing road miles?

3. Can cruise be added to any of these bikes without much trouble or huge expense?

4. Range between fill ups really is nice. My GS was an easy 250 often more before thinking about gas. So which of these has the best real world range.

5. The new 2014 Super 10 looks like it has added cruise, power and electronic suspension for just a bit more then the 800 GS Adv. Worth a wait or save 5 k and get a 13?

6. Am I missing a bike I should be looking at.

A little bit more about me that may help. When I rode with friends they always wanted to run 90 on the interstate, I was happy at 75 to 80. Get us in the mountains and the table was flipped I loved to fly through the curves and was always way ahead of the pack, stopping and waiting for them to catch up. Also in 3 years on my GS I rode over 5OK. Hope that helps.

Thanks for help and input.
Did you look at the new V-Strom 1000 its 228kg pretty light. I think its around the 12k with boxes and 22ltrs. ?. I ride to work every day 650 V-Strom and all weekend its a lovely bike.
mountianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #43
freefall109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
I've had my Tiger 800 for about two years now and really enjoy the motorcycle. I'm 5'11 190 lbs and 34 inch inseam. I ride mostly blacktop but get it offroad as much as one can in NJ. I rode it two up on a 1000 mile trip with my 130 lb wife last year and had zero issues except for a few pillion complaints...but I never bought it for two up. I don't think it produces more heat than my previous bikes.

IMHO, unless you want a dirt oriented bike I would recommend taking the GS800 out of the mix. It is not as smooth or powerful on rd. Offroad the Tiger is edged out (although there are folks like guiltyparty who have driven it across Asia and Bajadad who will be racing a Tiger in the Baja 1000 this year).

I have never ridden the 1190, the Super Ten seemed big to me for offroad but i've read it's very stable in weight distribution. Ups for the Tiger, great power delivery and butter smooth engine, even at high rpms for extended distance i've never had an issue with vibration. 12k miles valve checks. Can be taken offroad and many companies continue to add tiger products to their line. Downsides, you will want to ride your bike more than spend time at home. I also wish they would incorporate a more user friendly switchable ABS setting. Good luck in your search.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #44
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 972
I'm a huge Tenere Kool-Aid drinker. But if I was never gonna go off road (or 99% tarmac) and I wasn't pack-mule 2-up riding, I couldn't see the point. And it would be an even bigger sin to not get a KTM dirty. :)

The triumph would go straight to the front of the list. Especially for the riding you stated you love best. Twisties.
snakebitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #45
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I recently sold a 800XC after 20k in two years. There is heat on a hot day. No more than any other liquid cooled 90+ hp bike. The Tiger was good at just about everything. Toured in comfort (with Madstad windshield), did great on the WBDR (better than my abilities) and commuting was simple and easy. I generally got 180-200 miles per tank. Really a fantastic bike. The only thing that it didn't do was stay with bigger liter+ bikes during some hard running. It sold it very quickly for what I asked and last week I bought a 1190 Adventure Std. The "R" was just too tall and dirt oriented. The 1190 will just put the biggest grin on your face. And at about $16,500, it may be a bit more than you want to spend by the time you add luggage, but it will out perform any of the bikes you listed. I also believe it will be reliable and fairly inexpensive to maintain. (Recommended oil changes at 9300 miles and valve checks at 18600) Yes, the S10 will be less costly and are known to be very reliable. But having ridden the S10, it is much heavier and feels like it compared to F800GS, 800XC or 1190. I've heard it said that the Weestrom feels like an Accord. I thought the S10 felt like a comfortable truck.
Many have said it....ride 'em all then decide.
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote