Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 12:49 PM   #46
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Tough decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchrunz View Post
I'm in your position right now. For about the past month I've been taking a look at the same bikes trying to decide what I like and what will fit my riding needs best. I've mostly considered the f800 and the 800 tiger. Nothing against Suzuki but the dealer network near me is awful and I just don't care for the looks of the vstrom. I didn't really consider the S10, 1200 tiger or R1200. For me I wasn't looking for that big of a bike. So far I've only riden a demo f800. It's a big step up from all of my previous bikes, so I absolutely loved it. I do want to ride a R1200 and Super T (1200 tiger didn't feel like a good riding position on the dealer floor compared to the other 2 so I don't plan on demoing that one) before I make a decision as the big bikes might grow on me once I ride them. BUT after everything I've read and heard I think I'll end up on a new 800 tiger. It seems like what will suit me best. Hope this makes sense to you or helps you someway. Cheers on getting a new bike!
Yea I better ride the Tiger. How it fits is big deal. Plan on testing Ktm and 800gs adv tomorrow. This may tell me a lot.
Ivana Ridealot
Colorado Bryee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #47
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

Cool2 Big GS Cruise - Small GS no cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by VStromNC View Post
I can't confirm either way as not a GS owner. I recently attended Daytona BW and happened to be talking to a new owner of a 2014? WC 1200 GS and he saw my Audiovox Cruise Control on my Vee and he told me that his bike was also equipped with standard electronic cruise. He showed me this switch pack on the left side that controlled all his electronics including his cruise.

Jon
I was speaking of the 800 the 1200 got it in 2013 I believe. Wish both had it. Pushing toward 2014 Super Ten
Ivana Ridealot
Old 03-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #48
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

One more bike on the list

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountianman View Post
Did you look at the new V-Strom 1000 its 228kg pretty light. I think its around the 12k with boxes and 22ltrs. ?. I ride to work every day 650 V-Strom and all weekend its a lovely bike.
I should add that to the list may be the steal of the day had a friend who road the 1000 he really liked it - 2015 it gains ABS
Ivana Ridealot
Old 03-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #49
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

I have a feeling I would love the 1190

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider.deano View Post
I recently sold a 800XC after 20k in two years. There is heat on a hot day. No more than any other liquid cooled 90+ hp bike. The Tiger was good at just about everything. Toured in comfort (with Madstad windshield), did great on the WBDR (better than my abilities) and commuting was simple and easy. I generally got 180-200 miles per tank. Really a fantastic bike. The only thing that it didn't do was stay with bigger liter+ bikes during some hard running. It sold it very quickly for what I asked and last week I bought a 1190 Adventure Std. The "R" was just too tall and dirt oriented. The 1190 will just put the biggest grin on your face. And at about $16,500, it may be a bit more than you want to spend by the time you add luggage, but it will out perform any of the bikes you listed. I also believe it will be reliable and fairly inexpensive to maintain. (Recommended oil changes at 9300 miles and valve checks at 18600) Yes, the S10 will be less costly and are known to be very reliable. But having ridden the S10, it is much heavier and feels like it compared to F800GS, 800XC or 1190. I've heard it said that the Weestrom feels like an Accord. I thought the S10 felt like a comfortable truck.
Many have said it....ride 'em all then decide.
Plan on testing 1190 tomorrow

You may be right the Super 10 maybe a little like pickup truck. But that is not necessarily a bad thing.
Ivana Ridealot

Colorado Bryee screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 01:06 PM Reason: One more thought
Old 03-20-2014, 01:27 PM   #50
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Bryee View Post
Plan on testing 1190 tomorrow

You may be right the Super 10 maybe a little like pickup truck. But that is not necessarily a bad thing.
Bring your checkbook. Those things are very convincing.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #51
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Sure is able to convince anyone

Old 03-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #52
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzen View Post
Sure is able to convince anyone

The 1190 silly.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #53
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
that's prob more an R1, 1190 is likely

During conflict times s10 is still preferable.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 PM   #54
davevv
One more old rider

Oddometer: 2,309
All I can offer is my own experience. I've owned five adventure type bikes. An R1100GS, Buell Ulysses, Tiger 1050, Tiger 800, and my current Super Tenere.

I didn't care for the GS much at all. Odd suspension, terrible buffeting, horrendous seat, and lackluster engine. But, the guy I sold it to seven years ago still owns it and has put tons of miles on it, so to each his own I guess.

Loved the Buell and would consider another if Harley hadn't pulled the plug on them. They had wheel bearing and heat issues, but Buell had fixed that in the last version. It was the most comfortable tourer I've ever had, and also had the best front brake of any bike I've ever had. The rear brake is set up more for trail braking than serious stopping power, but it made a great combination on pavement.

The Tiger 1050 is a great bike, but truly is a road bike in adventure guise. I'd never seriously consider doing much off pavement stuff with it. My son has had this bike for the last three years and loves it. He has a 36" inseam and the bike fits him perfectly.

The Tiger 800 was a nice bike as well. Never noticed a heat problem with it. My major complaint with the 800 is the extremely close ratio gear box. It always seemed like I was doing a lot of unnecessary shifting. And it really is unnecessary as the engine would pull a wider spacing easily. It also wasn't as comfy for highway touring as the bigger bikes.

I haven't had the Super Tenere very long, but so far, I think it will end my search for the right adventure tourer for me. It's comfortable, has more than adequate power, TC, and ABS that works in dirt. Yes, it has a stumble off idle, but a simple mod to the clutch switch cured it and provided quicker throttle response at the same time without spending ~$450 for a reflash. Yes, I'd love CC as well, but I can make do with the Go Cruise throttle lock. Especially when you consider that I bought a brand new '13 for $13.1k out the door. When I weighed $20 for the Go Cruise against maybe $2-3k more for a '14 model with real CC, the big discount on the '13 model won out. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't throw a roost with the S10. One of the TC modes is OFF.

davevv screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 10:01 PM
davevv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:57 AM   #55
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevv View Post
And don't let anyone tell you that you can't throw a roost with the S10. One of the TC modes is OFF.
Just little ones...

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #56
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

Buell - Sad face

Quote:
All I can offer is my own experience. I've owned five adventure type bikes. An R1100GS, Buell Ulysses, Tiger 1050, Tiger 800, and my current Super Tenere.

I didn't care for the GS much at all. Odd suspension, terrible buffeting, horrendous seat, and lackluster engine. But, the guy I sold it to seven years ago still owns it and has put tons of miles on it, so to each his own I guess.

Loved the Buell and would consider another if Harley hadn't pulled the plug on them. They had wheel bearing and heat issues, but Buell had fixed that in the last version. It was the most comfortable tourer I've ever had, and also had the best front brake of any bike I've ever had. The rear brake is set up more for trail braking than serious stopping power, but it made a great combination on pavement.

The Tiger 1050 is a great bike, but truly is a road bike in adventure guise. I'd never seriously consider doing much off pavement stuff with it. My son has had this bike for the last three years and loves it. He has a 36" inseam and the bike fits him perfectly.

The Tiger 800 was a nice bike as well. Never noticed a heat problem with it. My major complaint with the 800 is the extremely close ratio gear box. It always seemed like I was doing a lot of unnecessary shifting. And it really is unnecessary as the engine would pull a wider spacing easily. It also wasn't as comfy for highway touring as the bigger bikes.

I haven't had the Super Tenere very long, but so far, I think it will end my search for the right adventure tourer for me. It's comfortable, has more than adequate power, TC, and ABS that works in dirt. Yes, it has a stumble off idle, but a simple mod to the clutch switch cured it and provided quicker throttle response at the same time without spending ~$450 for a reflash. Yes, I'd love CC as well, but I can make do with the Go Cruise throttle lock. Especially when you consider that I bought a brand new '13 for $13.1k out the door. When I weighed $20 for the Go Cruise against maybe $2-3k more for a '14 model with real CC, the big discount on the '13 model won out. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't throw a roost with the S10. One of the TC modes is OFF.
Thanks - great insight - the go cruise works great so you have a point. Buell Ulysses was on my want list - they fixed the heat and turn radius added heated grips even came out with a low seat adv version - it was by far their best selling bike and I was waiting for ABS and TC - if Buell was still with Harley it would have both ABS and TC and would have some more improvements. Harley was stupid - really stupid when they killed Buell - gave me a sad face.

Now will see how both GS800ADV and KTM1190 feel. The good news is all the bikes I am looking at are great bikes just need to find out which one is best for me.

Oh and one last thought on 2014 Super 10 - it is more the just CC, it's heated grips, electronic suspension adjustment, better engine management, gear indicator, better windscreen and it is now adjustable - so may be worth waiting.
Ivana Ridealot
Old 03-21-2014, 08:19 AM   #57
davevv
One more old rider

Yeah, I knew about the additional changes, but most of them really didn't matter to me. Heated grips would be nice, but I do live in Texas. The better fueling would definitely be nice, but I'm happy so far with just the clutch switch mod. I have no problem with the original windscreen and the new '14 version will bolt right on if I ever want to change it. I don't have any interest in the electronic suspension or gear indicator. So, for me, the decision was pretty easy. But if those items are important to you, it may well be worth the wait.

If you get a chance to test ride a '12 or '13 model, take an automotive mini fuse with you. You can easily unplug the connector for the clutch switch at the lever. Slide the fuse into the connector on the end of the wires, and the stumble will be gone. It will give you a better idea of what it feels like to ride one that fuels properly. I've wired a handlebar mounted switch into mine so I can turn it off and on whenever I like.

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #58
Colorado Bryee OP
Studly Adventurer

Question I did notice the stumble

Quote:
Yeah, I knew about the additional changes, but most of them really didn't matter to me. Heated grips would be nice, but I do live in Texas. The better fueling would definitely be nice, but I'm happy so far with just the clutch switch mod. I have no problem with the original windscreen and the new '14 version will bolt right on if I ever want to change it. I don't have any interest in the electronic suspension or gear indicator. So, for me, the decision was pretty easy. But if those items are important to you, it may well be worth the wait.

If you get a chance to test ride a '12 or '13 model, take an automotive mini fuse with you. You can easily unplug the connector for the clutch switch at the lever. Slide the fuse into the connector on the end of the wires, and the stumble will be gone. It will give you a better idea of what it feels like to ride one that fuels properly. I've wired a handlebar mounted switch into mine so I can turn it off and on whenever I like.

Good luck with your search.
When I took the 13 out for drive I did notice in parking lot trying go slow on the pegs the power was very jerky and hard to control would not be good picking your way up a steep sloop making tight maneuvers would need to slip clutch a lot to keep power smooth. - is this the problem the clutch mod fixes?
Ivana Ridealot
Old 03-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #59
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 724
You should ride a Stelvio too.

Giant tank, pretty much fully farkled right out of the box, and the Guzzi twin.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:36 PM   #60
davevv
One more old rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Bryee View Post
When I took the 13 out for drive I did notice in parking lot trying go slow on the pegs the power was very jerky and hard to control would not be good picking your way up a steep sloop making tight maneuvers would need to slip clutch a lot to keep power smooth. - is this the problem the clutch mod fixes?
When you take off from a stop, the bike will begin to move but then falter for an instant as if it was going to stall and then pick up again and accelerate normally. With the clutch mod (with or without the reflash), there is no flat spot and the throttle seems to respond more quickly. The S10 has two fueling modes, touring and sport. The guys on the big Tenere thread refer to the clutch mod as "super sport" mode. Adjusting all of the slack out of the throttle cable is also helpful in smoothing out the low speed control. That was the first thing I did to mine after I picked it up because it did bother me in those situations you described. Haven't had a problem with it since.