Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #46
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,564
1600 km Jocotepec, Jalisco to Wimberley Texas in 16 hours Wednesday/Thursday on a kickstart XR650R. Thirty kicks and 12 stops for gas. Had to push the XRR down on the ground at three casetas to get the last gallon of gas from the left side of the tank to the right so I could make it to the next Pemex.

Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:57 AM   #47
strikingviking
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by going south View Post
My boss called me back to the job site early, this will be the first time in 5 years that I have missed....
always a good time....

I'd post pics but you know...just a lot of hot chicas...
strikingviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 PM   #48
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,352
Mexico photo tag anyone? Some of my compas in Manzanillo just finally got permits from the gubmint and built a bridge I designed a few years ago. Someone go check it out. It can easily take the weight of many motos at a time, so someone get a photo riding across it. Great mountain riding on the other side in Jalisco. The bridge is over the Rio Marabasco and is the state line between Colima and Jalisco. The nearest towns are La Piedra Jalisco on one side and Cedros, Colima on the other.

Location here:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir//19....m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 05-01-2014 at 06:33 PM
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #49
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,535
Frontera Norte - Tierrosa Tam.

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #50
pantah81
work & travel

Oddometer: 4
Question Moving to Mexico D.F. => Would like to take my bike with me

Hola,

Sorry for writing in English, but my Spanish is not yet good enough to get things sorted out.

I have a question regarding import of my bike, evt. bikes, from Germany when I will be transferred in August for some 4 years to Mexico D.F.. My understanding is that the visa status will be permanent residency.

Guess there is a good chance that some expats are inmates and may have there share of experience on this matter.

Essentially the question is: Are bikes owned for a certain period (>6 months ?) tax and toll free personal belongings as other household equipment ?
Or will tax and toll be charged (about 30 % of actual value ?) by Mexican authorities.

While I would be really sorry to sell my bikes in Germany, transport plus tax plus toll would make it really economically sound to sell and buy something again in Mexico.

Your shared experience is really much appreciated !
pantah81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #51
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
Mexico does not allow a temp import with a permanent residency card. I went through this in Dec when i tried to bring my new bike in.
However if you are coming in to work, i thought the first 2 years you would work with an FM3. With that you can do a temp import. After the first 2 years then they make you get residency.
If you import your bike it will cost you about 30% of the value. However bikes cost a bit more in Mexico so you may be able to make it up when you leave by selling it here as a Mexican bike.
Cars and bikes are not considered household.
Hope this helps

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
RW66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #52
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Also, one vehicle per person, not multiple bikes or cars allowed under Temporal Visas.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:31 AM   #53
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

What Kiko said reminds me that.....if you are married or have older children and they don't have residency...they can do a temp import as long as the car is in their name and they have a CC in the same name.
The bad thing about temp import is that it is only good for as long as the temp visa is good, it is a pain having to renew them every 6 months or so.

You make a living by what you get........you make a life by what you give. ( author unknown)
Old 05-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #54
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

If you get a temporal visa good for one year, then Immigration can connect your temporal visa with your TVIP. The TVIP will remain valid until your temporal visa expires in one year.

After the first year, you can apply for a multi year temporal visa (2-4 years) and then a new TVIP which will be date connected with that temporal visa expiration. So theoretically, if you obtain a 4 yr temporal visa then your TVIP, if properly connected to that visa, will be valid for 4 years. Hence you do not need to go back and forth the the border every 6 months.

You need to obtain the proper documentation at the border and also in your residence state. Don't cross the border thinking you can get it done in your residence state later.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:34 PM   #55
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by RW66 View Post
However if you are coming in to work, i thought the first 2 years you would work with an FM3. With that you can do a temp import. After the first 2 years then they make you get residency.
I thought they got rid of FM2s and FM3s last year (or at least talked about it) and replaced them with just temporary and permanent resident visas. Can't remember what they were calling the new ones.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:58 AM   #56
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

You got 4 choices:

FMM for tourists up to 180 days, TVIP rules apply.

Residente Temporal, first application is for a one year visa, then you have a choice for a 2-4 year Residente Temporal visa thereafter, TVIP rules apply to import foreign plated vehicle.
Residente Temporal were previously known as FM2 or FM3.

Residente Permanente, one time application for life time visa, Cannot temporarily import a foreign plated vehicle.

Citizenship, cannot temporarily import a foreign plated vehicle.

You can only hold one visa at one time. If you have a Residente Permanente and apply for a FMM at the border in an attempt to import a vehicle, then Immigration will cancel your Residente Permanente visa.

Many expats are moving into citizenship status to avoid new real estate tax charges instituted by Nieto.

Immigration and Aduana application of laws seem to always be in a state of flux.

Kiko screwed with this post 05-09-2014 at 05:40 PM
Old 05-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #57
pantah81
work & travel

Oddometer: 4
Thanks to you all !

Thank you all for that detailled advise.

I'll have to check with my company on the type of visa.

And as soon as the expat-contracts are signed I will check the options again.

However, I'll have a bike in this wonderful country.
pantah81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:56 PM   #58
n4rry
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Me and a few friends have been planning a trip through central and south America. A few weeks into the planning we realized that the price of our cameras and equipment may be an issue. Has anyone ever had any trouble bringing expensive equipment over the Mexican border, and if so, is there a way to get around it? I don't know if the other borders will have similar issues, but its good to get these things worked out ahead of time I suppose.
n4rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:15 AM   #59
RW66
Gnarly Adventurer

Not sure what you mean about equipment???
You are allowed to bring 2 cameras nothing is said about the cost. The issue is the more expensive the things you bring with you to Mexico the more you will worry about loosing them rather you are on a bike or a car, you will be worried every time you have to leave them out of your site.
You can google Mexican Customs and find sites that give you a lot of information.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:41 PM   #60
Ymarzuca OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Last ride

Last ride around the Nevado de Toluca somewhere close to Coatepec Harinas.

Ymarzuca is offline   Reply With Quote