ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #1
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
DudeClone's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: here, there, everywhere
Oddometer: 1,695
You Know You're A Motorcycle n00b...

....if you're username is dudeclone. And you do the following.

So I run into a fellow rider and we spend some time inside someplace and then go to our bikes, which we've already seen. But now we're together, as are the bikes. Now, this is the first time as a motorcyclist I've chatted with another.

Me: I like you're bike. Nice Honda

Him: It's a Suzuki

And it says so right there across the tank!

I don't quite understand the need for a kickstand kill switch, either. Must be a good reason for it other then my thinking I bought a lemon my second day with the bike. It just kept shutting off!!

n00b

But I have a feeling I am not the first one...
__________________
bikes
DudeClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:05 AM   #2
Digasi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Digasi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Salem, OR
Oddometer: 108
kickstand kill switch is probably the number 2 reason my bike doesn't start.

Number 1 is I forget to turn the bike on.
Digasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #3
brianwheelies
Iron toocus
 
brianwheelies's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 3,494
Laugh

Damn dude. Maybe you should get back on the Kymco.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
Adding a turbo or supercharger doesn't automatically turn an engine into a Palestinian alarm clock.

brianwheelies screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 10:54 AM
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Oddometer: 3,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
I don't quite understand the need for a kickstand kill switch, either. Must be a good reason for it
Disable the switch, put the sidestand down, and start riding. Report here, how was your first left turn........
__________________
Countries ridden FIN SWE NOR DK EE LV LT POL SK HU RO BG GR IT AT DE CZ CH SMR LIE NL BE FR AND ES GBR LUX SI HR BIH SRB MK TR IR PAK IND TH KH LA MY ID AUS CR USA ZA LS SWZ MZ NA BW ZM ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
flei
queasy rider
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Western Mass.
Oddometer: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digasi View Post
kickstand kill switch is probably the number 2 reason my bike doesn't start.

Number 1 is I forget to turn the bike on.
Number for me: forget to turn on the handlebar "kill switch"
__________________
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Steven Wright
flei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 AM   #6
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider
 
Anonawesome's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Central OH
Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
And it says so right there across the tank!
Yeah no sympathy here...
__________________
'90 DR350S
How to misuse a '90 DR350S
Photos

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
SlowPony
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digasi View Post
kickstand kill switch is probably the number 2 reason my bike doesn't start.

Number 1 is I forget to turn the bike on.
At my old job I parked in a parking garage. As a holdover from the MSF, I always carefully put the bike in neutral before I started it. There were a few times when I would start the bike just fine, and then as soon as I would put it in gear, it would lurch forward and die because I forgot to put the kickstand up. Of course, there were always a few of the guys around to catch me doing it: "How long did you say you'd been riding, again?"

These days I park outside and I mostly just forget to turn my heated grips off in the morning so the battery is dead by the afternoon.
SlowPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider
 
Anonawesome's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Central OH
Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPony View Post
At my old job I parked in a parking garage. As a holdover from the MSF, I always carefully put the bike in neutral before I started it. There were a few times when I would start the bike just fine, and then as soon as I would put it in gear, it would lurch forward and die because I forgot to put the kickstand up. Of course, there were always a few of the guys around to catch me doing it: "How long did you say you'd been riding, again?"

These days I park outside and I mostly just forget to turn my heated grips off in the morning so the battery is dead by the afternoon.
Oh yeah? Well have you ever kickstarted a bike in first gear?

__________________
'90 DR350S
How to misuse a '90 DR350S
Photos

-"I wouldn't trade one stupid decision for another five years of life."
Anonawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
tapdiggy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tapdiggy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
Oh yeah? Well have you ever kickstarted a bike in first gear?

Similarly, have you ever spent 20 minutes kickstarting a bike, then remember to turn the fuel petcock to ON?
__________________
My riding shoes are Adidas. Boom
tapdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!
 
JimVonBaden's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Alexandria, VA
Oddometer: 50,645
I've been a motorcycle n0ob for 34 years. Probably always will be!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:00 AM   #11
Sl0rider
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: South Australia
Oddometer: 41
Ah motorcycles! Alternately making you feel like a king, then completely tearing your ego to pieces. There's nothing else I've found quite as good at doing that. But we will always going back for the king feeling...!
Sl0rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:07 AM   #12
cb200t
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Bellefontaine, OH
Oddometer: 216
You know you're a noob when you ride your bike everyday, but have to come home and charge it because your new regulator/rectifier hasn't arrived yet but you want to keep riding anyway because it's so much fun!!!! I haven't done anything stupid (yet), but it's been pretty chilly around here so there haven't been many other riders out yet to perform acts of stupidity in front of.
__________________
CB200T Build thread: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-p...storation.html
cb200t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:36 AM   #13
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer
 
scootrboi's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Vermont
Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb200t View Post
You know you're a noob when you ride your bike everyday, but have to come home and charge it because your new regulator/rectifier hasn't arrived yet but you want to keep riding anyway because it's so much fun!!!! I haven't done anything stupid (yet), but it's been pretty chilly around here so there haven't been many other riders out yet to perform acts of stupidity in front of.
When I was younger and stronger in the late 1980s my 330 lb scooter had a weak battery and the electric start wouldn't work. Every morning I would push it on wet grass up a slight incline to jump start it. By fall my chest really hurt.
__________________
42 years on a Heinkel Tourist
scootrboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #14
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer
 
SgtDuster's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Oddometer: 3,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPony View Post
These days I park outside and I mostly just forget to turn my heated grips off in the morning so the battery is dead by the afternoon.
I you wired your heated grips to an always hot lead, you kinda deserve it I'd say.
__________________
2010 Buell Ulysses
1984 Suzuki GR650 "Tempter"
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #15
Gonzoso
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gonzoso's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Pocono Mt.s PA
Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
I you wired your heated grips to an always hot lead, you kinda deserve it I'd say.
Yeah seriously putting in a relay is cake, I did it and I'm completely incompetent!
Gonzoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014