Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #16
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
Me: I like you're bike. Nice Honda
There was a period when Honda they were so dominant in the market that the words "motorcycle" and "Honda" were synonymous….. as in the movie On Any Sunday when one guy asks another "What kind of Honda do you ride?"
Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #17
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sl0rider View Post
Ah motorcycles! Alternately making you feel like a king, then completely tearing your ego to pieces. There's nothing else I've found quite as good at doing that. But we will always going back for the king feeling...!
You should try skiing. One run you're just shredding things, carving turns, having a BLAST, feeling awesome, the best feeling you've ever had! Next run, you biff getting off the chair and can't get yourself stood back up so they have to stop the lift with 1000 other skiers on it while you get your shit together...

We all have to begin somewhere and even after years of experience you'll find yourself doing the stoooopidest things. Yeah, I think I can ride my 550 pound motorcycle up that... It's the human condition, I'm afraid.

Welcome to the sport and welcome to the Asylum, all ye n00bs!

Doug
Old 03-20-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
SlowPony
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
I you wired your heated grips to an always hot lead, you kinda deserve it I'd say.
Ha, my husband said he could set it up so that it would be impossible to leave them turned on, and I said "No, don't worry about it, I'm not going to forget to turn them off!" You can imagine the grief I [deservedly] got the first time it happened.
SlowPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #19
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPony View Post
Ha, my husband said he could set it up so that it would be impossible to leave them turned on, and I said "No, don't worry about it, I'm not going to forget to turn them off!" You can imagine the grief I [deservedly] got the first time it happened.
Words of wisdom
Old 03-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #20
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPony View Post
You've bought to cheap.

My Oxford heated grips automatically cuts out when the voltage drops shortly after the engine is turned off, so they can safely be connected directly to the battery.
You can't turn them on again before the engine is started and the voltage is over a certain level.

Still, I have them wired to a relay controlled by the ignition key.
ErikDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #21
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,283
The kickstand cut-out is there to TRY to keep you from crashing from forgetting it.

other ways of going about it:

Ducati tried the spring-tension method: pick the bike off the side-stand and it retracts - which led to many a showroom drop.

BMW's early K-bikes had a lever-arm off the clutch-actuator that engaged a tab on the side-stand - if the bike was off the stand it would automatically retract, if it was ON the stand you couldn't pull in the clutch lever.

For awhile Honda had a little thumb-sized rubber tab on the kickstand so that if you forgot and rode off with it down it was supposed to brush ground BEFORE you made hard contact and retract the side stand.

But to be sure, if you ride off with the stand down and make a left turn/lean the stand can very easily jack the rear tire right off the ground and crash you hard in the blink of an eye. Not cool. Do not do this.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #22
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 432
...Or you might pull your fancy new bike, the '76 CB550 you just rebuilt the engine on and laid a stripe of black spray paint over the bare metal tank, up at a light and see someone motioning and shouting something you can't hear through the helmet and ear plugs, but he seems pretty excited.

So you shout back "Thanks!"

And he keeps shouting, so you give a fat thumbs-up.

And then he turns to his buddy in the passenger seat who hops out, runs around the car, and shouts in your ear "HE SAID YOUR KICKSTAND IS DOWN!"

Yeah. Don't disconnect that shit. And make sure PO's haven't either.
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #23
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,425
yea i was ridin' on the bike the other day leaving a parking structure and the woman in the booth waved me ahead after the gate lifted for a car in front of me. outstanding, free parking!!!

as i rode through behind the car, the gate came down on my head, thunking my helmet good

noob
Old 03-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #24
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
The kickstand cut-out is there to TRY to keep you from crashing from forgetting it.

other ways of going about it:

Ducati tried the spring-tension method: pick the bike off the side-stand and it retracts - which led to many a showroom drop.

BMW's early K-bikes had a lever-arm off the clutch-actuator that engaged a tab on the side-stand - if the bike was off the stand it would automatically retract, if it was ON the stand you couldn't pull in the clutch lever.

For awhile Honda had a little thumb-sized rubber tab on the kickstand so that if you forgot and rode off with it down it was supposed to brush ground BEFORE you made hard contact and retract the side stand.

But to be sure, if you ride off with the stand down and make a left turn/lean the stand can very easily jack the rear tire right off the ground and crash you hard in the blink of an eye. Not cool. Do not do this.
the patent on harleys jiffy stand must have run out long ago. it is hands down the best kickstand setup of any bike. has no forward angle , so if you ride off and it hits the ground it just folds up, locks into place when weight is on it so it is impossible to roll forward and have is fold up. really is one of harleys best ideas. so how come nobody copies it?
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:20 PM   #25
Kamloopsrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
the patent on harleys jiffy stand must have run out long ago. it is hands down the best kickstand setup of any bike. has no forward angle , so if you ride off and it hits the ground it just folds up, locks into place when weight is on it so it is impossible to roll forward and have is fold up. really is one of harleys best ideas. so how come nobody copies it?

And if you park it facing downhill in neutral or 5th it will work it's way off the kickstand and park itself on it's side....... or so I've heard
Kamloopsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:35 AM   #26
SlowPony
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
yea i was ridin' on the bike the other day leaving a parking structure and the woman in the booth waved me ahead after the gate lifted for a car in front of me. outstanding, free parking!!!

as i rode through behind the car, the gate came down on my head, thunking my helmet good

noob
Ohhh...I know how that feels!
SlowPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:46 AM   #27
phunmusicphan
Dude

Oddometer: 407
Leaving work for my ride home. Something slapping my helmet... Have to stop to do up the strap.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #28
cb200t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I keep running out of gas...temporarily. I keep forgetting to turn the fuel petcock on. No problem turning it off though :-)

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2014, 11:27 AM   #29
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamloopsrider View Post
And if you park it facing downhill in neutral or 5th it will work it's way off the kickstand and park itself on it's side....... or so I've heard
you heard wrong. if the weight is on the stand it will not fold up . ever. steep enough hill and left in neutral the stand may slide but it will not fold up. best and safest design of any stand.
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #30
kballowe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
you heard wrong. if the weight is on the stand it will not fold up . ever. steep enough hill and left in neutral the stand may slide but it will not fold up. best and safest design of any stand.
Yep.
'10 GL1800, '06 VTX1300C
kballowe is offline   Reply With Quote