Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 12:52 PM   #31
ErikDK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
My 1978 Guzzi California had an exact copy of the Harley kickstand - right down to bolt pattern and everything.

On the Idro-convert sister model, which couldn't be parked in gear, since it had a torque converter instead of a real clutch, the kickstand automatically operated a parking brake caliper on the rear disc.
ErikDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #32
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961

Old 03-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #33
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sl0rider View Post
Ah motorcycles! Alternately making you feel like a king, then completely tearing your ego to pieces. There's nothing else I've found quite as good at doing that. But we will always going back for the king feeling...!
Women
Old 03-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #34
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 432
People

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:06 PM   #35
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 330
I'm a Noob, and I have, unbelievably to me, ridden off twice, TWICE, with my kickstand down. '89 GS, no switch. Both times were when I was on trip, fully loaded, out of town, unfamiliar surrounding. Lots of extra things to think about, and I brain locked. The good news is that in both cases, I started a gentle left turn, touched the kickstand, and it just came up into place. Barely even felt it.

Upon realizing what I had done however, it took a while to get the heart rate under control. I've been clean for over a year now. Hope it lasts.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:23 AM   #36
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,630
Small, thirty second checklist in your head, double check that the stand is up and secured, last thing, before you ride away.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:13 AM   #37
jnclem
True Airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by C/1/509 View Post
Small, thirty second checklist in your head, double check that the stand is up and secured, last thing, before you ride away.
Exactly. And I do that. But I didn't. That's why I was surprised by my own ability to do something so stupid. As a former hang glider pilot, I'm big on pre-flight check lists, and doing things the same way each time, then double checking. But apparently I'm not quite as competent and infallible as I thought. Good lessons. For me without consequences.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #38
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
My old bmw r100gs had a spring load sidestand. Which meant i had to get of the bike and hold the stand down with my foot to stop it coming back up when leaning the bike over.

some old bikes i have cut the saftey switch wires and soilder them to gether so i wont be stuck when the switch fails.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #39
jnclem
True Airhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post
My old bmw r100gs had a spring load sidestand. Which meant i had to get of the bike and hold the stand down with my foot to stop it coming back up when leaning the bike over.

some old bikes i have cut the saftey switch wires and soilder them to gether so i wont be stuck when the switch fails.
I have an aftermarket stand on it. The BMW stand is spring loaded, and a real pain to deploy, but it does retract as soon as you lift the bike.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:35 AM   #40
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebear View Post

A better idea is to install a male-female connector on each side of the safety.

Cover connexions w/ shrink tube.

Switch still works, but if it fails, you can access your built-in male-female bypass.

(If you pay attention to installation orientation.)

Did this on my old R1100GS.

I miss her!!

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 12:09 PM   #41
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,519
My old GL1000 had the rubber safety nub on the kickstand. It did work, sort of. It would at least push the stand up enough so that you didn't jack the rear tire off the pavement, but didn't quite kick it all the way up into its stored position. I imagine if you really railed over for a hard left turn you'd still biff.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:47 PM   #42
The Jerk
Bring us some fresh wine!

Oddometer: 2,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
BMW's early K-bikes had a lever-arm off the clutch-actuator that engaged a tab on the side-stand - if the bike was off the stand it would automatically retract, if it was ON the stand you couldn't pull in the clutch lever.
Yes. Very clever. Until you park your rented K75 in a gravel parking lot, and, in an effort to make sure the side stand is fully deployed and the bike is securely parked, give the bike a little tug backwards while it's leaning on the side stand. This action, given the side stand / clutch cable interlock, puts a strain on the clutch cable and the ball end of the cable just pops right off the clutch end of the cable, leaving you stranded with a broken clutch cable 20km outside Bamberg...
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:03 PM   #43
C/1/509
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
Exactly. And I do that. But I didn't. That's why I was surprised by my own ability to do something so stupid. As a former hang glider pilot, I'm big on pre-flight check lists, and doing things the same way each time, then double checking. But apparently I'm not quite as competent and infallible as I thought. Good lessons. For me without consequences.
LOL - well, sometimes scaring yourself (hopefully without consequences) is the best way to remember. Infallible? Nah, don't want that - someone would have to build a temple for you and it would get all complicated.
C/1/509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:32 PM   #44
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,656
Learn to ride on a kick start bike. The kickstand hits the ground when you kick the motor over, forcing you to put it up. Now I put it before hitting the magic button.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 AM   #45
Newbedonnie
Banned

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
yea i was ridin' on the bike the other day leaving a parking structure and the woman in the booth waved me ahead after the gate lifted for a car in front of me. outstanding, free parking!!!

as i rode through behind the car, the gate came down on my head, thunking my helmet good

noob
I can't help but begin to think you really can't be this inept...but rather just trolling right along.
Newbedonnie is offline   Reply With Quote